workgroup - main computer no longer accessible

This one has me stumped.
Running Windows xp professional
We have an office network, each computer is connected to a hub by cat-5
cable. Each computer is connected to the internet through the hub. The
network was set up as a workgroup using the network setup wizard. The
network has been stable and running since January 2002, with no changes to
OS except windows updates. We have been able to add new computers to the
network.

Our shared documents and QuickBooks company file reside on the office
desktop.

As of today, no other computers can connect to the office desktop.

The office desktop IS seen on the network and CAN access all other
computers.

We checked the network settings. Firewall is not enabled. Sharing *IS*
enabled on all computers for shared folder and all data folders.

I re-ran the network set up wizard on all workgroup computers and rebooted.

The problem remains.. one computer is unable to be accessed.

I tried creating a new separate workgroup with a new name, and running the
network setup wizard.
Again.. all computers are shown, one cannot be accessed.

I tried re-naming the problem computer, running the network setup wizard,
and rebooting (this means rebooting ALL workstations)

The problem remains.
Oh, and I have run the network troubleshooting wizard. On EACH of my
workstations I have the response 'The troubleshooter detected that you might
be using a computer name that already exists on the network. This might be
the cause of the problem. Follow the steps below to change the computer
name.'
The steps are
1.. Open Network Connections in Control Panel.
2.. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click change
Now, it might just be me --- but there IS NO COMPUTER NAME tab on the
Network Connections folder in the control panel.

This type of stuff makes me nuts.

Additionally, I have a new problem. How do I delete the new workgroups I
created?

I appreciate any responses you can give me.

"L" <lisaanne_quilts@hothatesspammail.com> wrote in message
> This one has me stumped.
> Running Windows xp professional
> We have an office network, each computer is connected to a hub by cat-5
> cable. Each computer is connected to the internet through the hub. The
> network was set up as a workgroup using the network setup wizard. The
> network has been stable and running since January 2002, with no changes to
> OS except windows updates. We have been able to add new computers to the
> network.
>
> Our shared documents and QuickBooks company file reside on the office
> desktop.
>
> As of today, no other computers can connect to the office desktop.
>
> The office desktop IS seen on the network and CAN access all other
> computers.
>
> We checked the network settings. Firewall is not enabled. Sharing *IS*
> enabled on all computers for shared folder and all data folders.
>
> I re-ran the network set up wizard on all workgroup computers and
> rebooted.
>
> The problem remains.. one computer is unable to be accessed.
>
> I tried creating a new separate workgroup with a new name, and running the
> network setup wizard.
> Again.. all computers are shown, one cannot be accessed.
>
> I tried re-naming the problem computer, running the network setup wizard,
> and rebooting (this means rebooting ALL workstations)
>
> The problem remains.
> Oh, and I have run the network troubleshooting wizard. On EACH of my
> workstations I have the response 'The troubleshooter detected that you
> might be using a computer name that already exists on the network. This
> might be the cause of the problem. Follow the steps below to change the
> computer name.'
> The steps are
> 1.. Open Network Connections in Control Panel.
> 2.. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click change
> Now, it might just be me --- but there IS NO COMPUTER NAME tab on the
> Network Connections folder in the control panel.
>
> This type of stuff makes me nuts.
>
> Additionally, I have a new problem. How do I delete the new workgroups I
> created?
>
> I appreciate any responses you can give me.

Please run a cmd prompt and type ipconfig /all. Post the results from the
problem computer and another computer that is working OK. Can you ping the
problem computer by name and by IP address from another computer?

Kerry

Barry

L wrote:
> This one has me stumped.
> Running Windows xp professional
> We have an office network, each computer is connected to a hub by cat-5
> cable. Each computer is connected to the internet through the hub. The
> network was set up as a workgroup using the network setup wizard. The
> network has been stable and running since January 2002, with no changes to
> OS except windows updates. We have been able to add new computers to the
> network.
>
> Our shared documents and QuickBooks company file reside on the office
> desktop.
>
> As of today, no other computers can connect to the office desktop.
>
> The office desktop IS seen on the network and CAN access all other
> computers.
>
> We checked the network settings. Firewall is not enabled. Sharing *IS*
> enabled on all computers for shared folder and all data folders.
>
> I re-ran the network set up wizard on all workgroup computers and rebooted.
>
> The problem remains.. one computer is unable to be accessed.
>
> I tried creating a new separate workgroup with a new name, and running the
> network setup wizard.
> Again.. all computers are shown, one cannot be accessed.
>
> I tried re-naming the problem computer, running the network setup wizard,
> and rebooting (this means rebooting ALL workstations)
>
> The problem remains.
> Oh, and I have run the network troubleshooting wizard. On EACH of my
> workstations I have the response 'The troubleshooter detected that you might
> be using a computer name that already exists on the network. This might be
> the cause of the problem. Follow the steps below to change the computer
> name.'
> The steps are
> 1.. Open Network Connections in Control Panel.
> 2.. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click change
> Now, it might just be me --- but there IS NO COMPUTER NAME tab on the
> Network Connections folder in the control panel.
>
> This type of stuff makes me nuts.
>
> Additionally, I have a new problem. How do I delete the new workgroups I
> created?

it'll go after a bit

> I appreciate any responses you can give me.

how are your user accounts set up? Whats the error they do get when they
browse to this computer? You say it can be seen, but haven't given the
error. Try reinstalling all the protocols on the computer that cant be
accessed. Can that caomputer access other files? can it get on the net?
Can it ping the other PCs? What happens if you do "net view" at a
command prompt on it?

"barry" <noooooo@nooonsnasdadasdasdasdasda.com> wrote in message
>L wrote:
>> This one has me stumped.
>> Running Windows xp professional
>> We have an office network, each computer is connected to a hub by cat-5
>> cable. Each computer is connected to the internet through the hub. The
>> network was set up as a workgroup using the network setup wizard. The
>> network has been stable and running since January 2002, with no changes
>> to OS except windows updates. We have been able to add new computers to
>> the network.
>>
>> Our shared documents and QuickBooks company file reside on the office
>> desktop.
>>
>> As of today, no other computers can connect to the office desktop.
>>
>> The office desktop IS seen on the network and CAN access all other
>> computers.
>>
>> We checked the network settings. Firewall is not enabled. Sharing *IS*
>> enabled on all computers for shared folder and all data folders.
>>
>> I re-ran the network set up wizard on all workgroup computers and
>> rebooted.
>>
>> The problem remains.. one computer is unable to be accessed.
>>
>> I tried creating a new separate workgroup with a new name, and running
>> the network setup wizard.
>> Again.. all computers are shown, one cannot be accessed.
>>
>> I tried re-naming the problem computer, running the network setup wizard,
>> and rebooting (this means rebooting ALL workstations)
>>
>> The problem remains.
>> Oh, and I have run the network troubleshooting wizard. On EACH of my
>> workstations I have the response 'The troubleshooter detected that you
>> might be using a computer name that already exists on the network. This
>> might be the cause of the problem. Follow the steps below to change the
>> computer name.'
>> The steps are
>> 1.. Open Network Connections in Control Panel.
>> 2.. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click change
>> Now, it might just be me --- but there IS NO COMPUTER NAME tab on the
>> Network Connections folder in the control panel.
>>
>> This type of stuff makes me nuts.
>>
>> Additionally, I have a new problem. How do I delete the new workgroups I
>> created?
>

> it'll go after a bit
>

>> I appreciate any responses you can give me.
>>

> how are your user accounts set up?
I used the Network Setup wizard to set up all workstations.
--Option selected was 'This computer connects to the Internet through a
residential gateway or through another computer on my network."
--The computer name did *NOT* pre-fill on the 'Give this computer a
description and a name' screen. I entered a value.
--I entered the workgroup name

> Whats the error they do get when they browse to this computer? You say it
> can be seen, but haven't given the error.
The error received is" \\Sharon is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
server to find out if you have access permissions."
Selecting View workgroup computers from My Network Places shows all
workstations. All other workstations can be accessed.

> Try reinstalling all the protocols on the computer that cant be accessed.
Not sure what you mean about 'reinstalling protocols'.
I re-ran the wizard on all computers in the network and rebooted.

I repeated the above steps using different (new) unique workgroup names.

I also attempted to re-name the computer in question, and run the wizard
with the new name.

Virus protection has been turned off. Firewall has been turned off.

> Can that computer access other files? can it get on the net?
Yes, and yes.

> Can it ping the other PCs?
ping? sorry, not network savvy, I am only familiar with the term ping as
relates to the internet and using tracert. If you are asking if the problem
computer can access files on the other workstations, the answer is yes.

> What happens if you do "net view" at a command prompt on it?
I am unable to execute that command from ANY computer on my network. I
followed the format for the command at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q141229/

I have no MS-DOS prompt under Start==>Programs. I do, however, have a 'Run'
option from the start menu.
Typing
net view /workgroup:<OAKELEC>
returns a quick flash on the screen I am unable to capture.

Thanks again for your help