Anyone own Optiplex SX280 w/stand? How like?

ME

Curious if anyone owns the Optiplex S280 with special
stand that lets cpu set right behind monitor?

Wondering how you like the machine and the
stand/monitor config?

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Curious if anyone owns the Optiplex S280 with special
> stand that lets cpu set right behind monitor?
>
> Wondering how you like the machine and the
> stand/monitor config?

I didn't own one, but used one where I worked for about a year. It had a lot
to do with me going Dell this time for my office and home computers. We
didn't have the stand you mentioned but it still had the smallest footprint
I ever seen on a pc. It was a pretty decent machine for what we needed,
simple wordprocessing, intranet connection for our main applications
(storage facility software).

--

Joe Cilinceon

ME

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>> Curious if anyone owns the Optiplex S280 with special
>> stand that lets cpu set right behind monitor?
>>
>> Wondering how you like the machine and the
>> stand/monitor config?
>
>I didn't own one, but used one where I worked for about a year. It had a lot
>to do with me going Dell this time for my office and home computers. We
>didn't have the stand you mentioned but it still had the smallest footprint
>I ever seen on a pc. It was a pretty decent machine for what we needed,
>simple wordprocessing, intranet connection for our main applications
>(storage facility software).

Did you miss not having any PCI slots at all??

ME

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>> Curious if anyone owns the Optiplex S280 with special
>> stand that lets cpu set right behind monitor?
>>
>> Wondering how you like the machine and the
>> stand/monitor config?
>
>I didn't own one, but used one where I worked for about a year. It had a lot
>to do with me going Dell this time for my office and home computers. We
>didn't have the stand you mentioned but it still had the smallest footprint
>I ever seen on a pc. It was a pretty decent machine for what we needed,
>simple wordprocessing, intranet connection for our main applications
>(storage facility software).

So you used the exact same SX280 machine at work right?

No not at all. But then we used them in a very limited enviornment. We never
had a need to add boards of any kind as the usb and network cards built
would handle our simple needs. I will say this though the CD and Floppy
methods are kind of neat in that you unplug the floppy and inseart the CD
RW. Now there isn't much need for a floppy and I didn't order one on either
of my 2 new computers.

me@privacy.net wrote:
>> me@privacy.net wrote:
>>> Curious if anyone owns the Optiplex S280 with special
>>> stand that lets cpu set right behind monitor?
>>>
>>> Wondering how you like the machine and the
>>> stand/monitor config?
>>
>> I didn't own one, but used one where I worked for about a year. It
>> had a lot to do with me going Dell this time for my office and home
>> computers. We didn't have the stand you mentioned but it still had
>> the smallest footprint I ever seen on a pc. It was a pretty decent
>> machine for what we needed, simple wordprocessing, intranet
>> connection for our main applications (storage facility software).
>
> Did you miss not having any PCI slots at all??

--

Joe Cilinceon

You got me to go take a look and see exactly which we used and it turns out
to be the SX260 which has a different look than the SX280. The case on the
SX260 isn't much larger than the average laptop machine.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:26:03 -0500, "Joe Cilinceon" <jfc@direcway.com>
wrote:

>You got me to go take a look and see exactly which we used and it turns out
>to be the SX260 which has a different look than the SX280. The case on the
>SX260 isn't much larger than the average laptop machine.
>
>me@privacy.net wrote:

>>> I didn't own one, but used one where I worked for about a year. It
>>> had a lot to do with me going Dell this time for my office and home
>>> computers. We didn't have the stand you mentioned but it still had
>>> the smallest footprint I ever seen on a pc. It was a pretty decent
>>> machine for what we needed, simple wordprocessing, intranet
>>> connection for our main applications (storage facility software).
>>
>> So you used the exact same SX280 machine at work right?
The sx280 are very nice little machines. We have sx260's and 270's and
they tend to have issues with overheating which after a lot use has
caused a lot of capacitors to swell and burst. So far we have not seen
this with the 280's but they have much better cooling in them as well.

ME

>We are planning a purchase of 30 Dells shortly and the SX280 is one of the
>models being considered. We are a Hospice with 100+ users and about 75
>workstations. We currently have about 35 Dells, a mix of 5550's (2 years
>old) and GX 280's (1 year old). Our users are nurses and administrative
>(along with 3 IT users). I can think of only one system (Mine, actually...
><g>) that got a hardware upgrade. And that was a 1GB NIC which is the
>default today.... When I consider the PCI cards I might want, they are all
>integrated these days or can be provided by external devices....

Thanks Hank that was very interesting. Must be a
pretty big hospice, right?