Steve Ballmer Has 'Developers' Moment, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
is there something really wrong with outbursts of exuberance? he's filthy rich and their products are only adding to it... why not show it sometimes?

i don't even like this guy, but he's not a hitler...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Exuberant and passionate sure beats dull and boring. I'd rather have a good laugh with/at Steve than be subjected to a re-run of high school maths lessons.

Besides, you don't get to run Microsoft (or do anything else requiring more than a pulse) by being average.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I like enthusiasm when I'm the one feeling it.
Check the google wave presentation for example. These people are not dull nor boring, and they get applauses and cheers on and on from a room packet full of developers.
Intel's nehalem EX chip inspired enthusiasm and it was presented in way cooler fashion, without bursts of untempered behavior.
Windows7 is a very cool product, compared to others from Redmond, it almost gets me enthusiastic :).

I don't like Ballmer, I admit it. He's not an average, he's got his talent, but he's got no charisma, and perhaps if he wouldn't be such a buffoon, he would be dull and boring.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Exuberant and passionate sure beats dull and boring. I'd rather have a good laugh with/at Steve than be subjected to a re-run of high school maths lessons.Besides, you don't get to run Microsoft (or do anything else requiring more than a pulse) by being average.[/citation]

I think that all valuable things came from those who learned their high-school lessons(at least). You can't do much of a computer science career if you skipped the mathematics.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Whether you actually like or enjoy his enthusiasm or not, it`s making headlines and getting people talking. `Nuff said really, primary mission accomplished.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
For some reason, his exuberance reminds me of the cheer sessions I used to see through the glass doors in the mornings when I would show up first thing at Wal-Mart Discount City.

There stand all the tired employees...half of them participating genuinely...half of them standing around with that "wake me up when this is over" look.

And, Ballmer's "OH YEAH WINDOWS 7, BABY!" carrying on seemed more like a hyped-up stumble-and-trip dialogue to try and get developers to preach his gospel.

Reminds me of a modern day tech version of that old guy in the movie "Trading Places"...I think Mortimer Duke...when he goes "Sell! Sell! SELLLLLLL!"

Hope Windows 7 is as good as they say. Otherwise, I have 2 more Windows XP x64 licenses laying around to put on the next PC and laptop.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jcknouse[/nom]For some reason, his exuberance reminds me of the cheer sessions I used to see through the glass doors in the mornings when I would show up first thing at Wal-Mart Discount City.There stand all the tired employees...half of them participating genuinely...half of them standing around with that "wake me up when this is over" look.And, Ballmer's "OH YEAH WINDOWS 7, BABY!" carrying on seemed more like a hyped-up stumble-and-trip dialogue to try and get developers to preach his gospel.Reminds me of a modern day tech version of that old guy in the movie "Trading Places"...I think Mortimer Duke...when he goes "Sell! Sell! SELLLLLLL!" Hope Windows 7 is as good as they say. Otherwise, I have 2 more Windows XP x64 licenses laying around to put on the next PC and laptop.[/citation]
XP x64? Don't you have driver issues? Vista x64 is a better OS. Better driver support, and I have no problems with stability. Why don't you try Windows 7 x64 RC? You can try it out and use that to decide whether or not it is worth it to get Windows 7. But if XP x64 is working for you, then great! :)

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
It's amazing how much excitement and hype windows 7 has commanded. I mean think about it a minute, it's an operating system. Really, it's just an operating system, and more of a Vista service pack than something radically new that the end user is really going to notice. If they release an operating system that can talk and develop a personality (think Kit from Knight Rider) then i might be something to get excited about. Hehe, an operating system, Weeeeeeee. Where can I stand in line?!?

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]what's up with the wire in his ear?[/citation]

He is an agent from the matrix.. :p

I think we are looking at microsofts last big thing. I might be wrong... We'll see...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]It may just be me, but I wouldn't trust Balmer around my children.[/citation]
Would you trust Mr Apple?

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
[citation][nom]jcknouse[/nom]I have 2 more Windows XP x64 licenses laying around to put on the next PC and laptop.[/citation]

If I was still going to run XP, then I would try to not go for the least supported and most error prone version of the bunch.

If you're building all of the PCs yourself then you can keep things to Microsoft's HAL pretty easily, but due to the tacked-on nature of the x64 code in XP you would almost be better served by upgrading to windows 7.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]"I am confident we will suck the money out of your pockets!" Great....[/citation]

Ha! "Despite the economy!" Really?!? Your Microsoft, of course your going to sell no matter what.

anmjoven

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
He's probably the most eccentric CEO I've ever known in the IT industry.

I featured this news in my video podcast:

http://www.techconclave.com/episode-10-chrome-os-microsoft-office-2010-steve-ballmer-with-windows-7-twitter-for-world-of-warcraft-and-cali-lewis-of-geekbrief-tv/

I'm sure Windows 7 will be a bliss just by seeing this man's enthusiasm and optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.