Hotter card in a Newer System. How's that?

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Here's my problem, I have a radeon 7000, and before when it was in my dell 450mhz win98 se , it was warm but nothing close to hot. Now i put it in another computer with a different motherboard (800mhz) and winxp. Now after leaving it on for a couple of minutes i notice the card starts to get hot, very hot, to the point where i start to see artifacts in game. I've oc'd it before but now i am scared to even attempt it with this happening. Does anyone know why this may be happening to me? I also noticed that the irq of the radeon is being shared with 4 other hardwares.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably an airflow problem in the other system, I'd add a 40mm fan to the 7000's passive sink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
LOL, Crashman helping me again.

Well neither of them have system fans or anything so really what would have changed the air flow between the changed comp and the old one?

Another thing is i leave my case open now, with windows wide open so all the air can pass through the case. Is this worse then keeping it close?

I like to take advantage of winter chills :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Leaving the case open interferes with the front-to-rear airflow of the case design, but normally doesn't hurt CPU temps nor video card temps. On the other hand, having a card in the next slot down from the video card interferes with airflow around the sink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Good thing you mentioned that last part because i have my network card in the third slot and the video card in the first. Should i swap their positions to ensure better air flow to the sink?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try, but Windows will probably have to reconfigure the cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Newer machines use less voltage for the CPU and graphics card. In particular, the graphics standard has gone from 3.3v signals to 1.5v signals on AGP. But in his case, it appears he's using a PCI graphics card, and PCI voltages have remained the same all the way up to PCI-Express, which is a different slot.

As for his CPU being more complex and producing more heat, he's using an open case, so the heat from the CPU isn't likely to create much of a difference in temperature at the PCI slots. Heat rises.

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Ok, so i swaped their places, Windows did have to reconfigure but that was no problem. I let it run all day, i played some games and i turn it off to see if it were warm or really hot. It was very hot, most people would of actually let go.

Here's the question then, What is really creating an air flow? I am unclear on how air is suspose to get to the grid when the only fans i see, are the one on the cpu and the one that's part of the power supply.

BTW i can't even tell the direction of the air either.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Passive sinks work by convection, hot air rizes and pulls cool air up from underneath.