help with setting up 2 APs

I'm in a bit over my head with this. The equipment is as follows:
Belkin wireless router, Cisco 340 wireless bridge, Netgear RT314 4
port wired router. I would like to hook up a network-ready printer
upstairs while leaving the cable modem downstairs. I thought I could
put the Belkin router downstairs, connected to the cable modem, put
the 340 and Netgear upstairs and connect the printer. The problem is
how to configure the 340 and Belkin so that one handles Internet
traffic and the other is basically a bridge and only handles print
jobs. The 340 can be set to AP mode or bridge only mode. The Belkin
can be set to AP only mode. I tried to set the 340 to bridge only, but
that didn't work. The 340 and Belkin do not see each other. They're
set to the same SSID, different channels, same subnet. I've tried DHCP
and manually setting static IP; should I set them to different
subnets? What else can I try? Thanks.

Andy
9 answers Last reply
More about help setting

    I am assuming you have signal upstairs when you connect wireless router
    downstairs.
    If this is your case, get rid of the extra wired router and bridge upstairs.
    Replace this combo with a 350 workgroup bridge to save $$$. You can connect
    a small hub to the WGB and connect your printer to this hub using a network
    cable.

    HTH

    "KAL SANNEDHI" <don'tspamme@spambuster.com> wrote in message news:<c5dmub$feeh$1@ID-225230.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > I am assuming you have signal upstairs when you connect wireless router
    > downstairs.
    > If this is your case, get rid of the extra wired router and bridge upstairs.
    > Replace this combo with a 350 workgroup bridge to save $$$. You can connect
    > a small hub to the WGB and connect your printer to this hub using a network
    > cable.
    >
    > HTH

    Even if I replaced the 340/wired router combo with the 350, how would
    the 350 be set up? My problem seems to be between the 2 wireless APs
    not talking to each other. The 340 can be set up as bridge only, would
    that be functionally equivalent to what you're suggesting with the
    350? Right now it's set to access point. Whenever I set it as bridge
    only I can't connect to it to configure it. How about the root mode,
    do I set it to root on or off? I think the equipment I've got will do
    the trick, I just have to find the correct configuration. I wish I
    knew more about networking!

    Actually I have not read about this AP, however some AP's in "Bridge Mode"
    will only talk to other AP's that are in the same mode. What you should
    look into is a WDS repeater units, it is a good solution for what you are
    looking to do. Disadvantage is a little hit on performance on a heavily
    used network, but for smaller networks it is great! So long as one can see
    the other they share clients. If your units does have this mode, you should
    perhaps think of just running them as AP's on different channels and SSID's
    and run cable between them. Just a thought.

    Michael

    > "KAL SANNEDHI" <don'tspamme@spambuster.com> wrote in message
    > > I am assuming you have signal upstairs when you connect wireless router
    > > downstairs.
    > > If this is your case, get rid of the extra wired router and bridge
    upstairs.
    > > Replace this combo with a 350 workgroup bridge to save $$$. You can
    connect
    > > a small hub to the WGB and connect your printer to this hub using a
    network
    > > cable.
    > >
    > > HTH
    >
    > Even if I replaced the 340/wired router combo with the 350, how would
    > the 350 be set up? My problem seems to be between the 2 wireless APs
    > not talking to each other. The 340 can be set up as bridge only, would
    > that be functionally equivalent to what you're suggesting with the
    > 350? Right now it's set to access point. Whenever I set it as bridge
    > only I can't connect to it to configure it. How about the root mode,
    > do I set it to root on or off? I think the equipment I've got will do
    > the trick, I just have to find the correct configuration. I wish I
    > knew more about networking!

    Okay I've made some progress. The 340 in "bridge only" mode now exists
    peacefully with the Belkin wireless router. All 3 of my wireless
    clients can accesses the Internet, but still none can see the Aironet
    or the printer. I understand in bridge only mode the WAP is not
    supposed to accept clients, but isn't it supposed to bridge me between
    the Belkin to the printer? They are set to the same SSID but on
    different subnets. The Belkin is 192.168.2.x and the Aironet is on
    192.168.0.x; and both subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. So why isn't the
    bridge bridging me between 2 LAN's?

    "Michael" <teknowene@excite.com> wrote in message news:<DY6fc.113580$Ig.75446@pd7tw2no>...
    > Actually I have not read about this AP, however some AP's in "Bridge Mode"
    > will only talk to other AP's that are in the same mode. What you should
    > look into is a WDS repeater units, it is a good solution for what you are
    > looking to do. Disadvantage is a little hit on performance on a heavily
    > used network, but for smaller networks it is great! So long as one can see
    > the other they share clients. If your units does have this mode, you should
    > perhaps think of just running them as AP's on different channels and SSID's
    > and run cable between them. Just a thought.
    >
    > Michael

    They should be on the same subnet. It is a bridge not a router.

    Michael
    > Okay I've made some progress. The 340 in "bridge only" mode now exists
    > peacefully with the Belkin wireless router. All 3 of my wireless
    > clients can accesses the Internet, but still none can see the Aironet
    > or the printer. I understand in bridge only mode the WAP is not
    > supposed to accept clients, but isn't it supposed to bridge me between
    > the Belkin to the printer? They are set to the same SSID but on
    > different subnets. The Belkin is 192.168.2.x and the Aironet is on
    > 192.168.0.x; and both subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. So why isn't the
    > bridge bridging me between 2 LAN's?
    >
    > "Michael" <teknowene@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > Actually I have not read about this AP, however some AP's in "Bridge
    Mode"
    > > will only talk to other AP's that are in the same mode. What you should
    > > look into is a WDS repeater units, it is a good solution for what you
    are
    > > looking to do. Disadvantage is a little hit on performance on a heavily
    > > used network, but for smaller networks it is great! So long as one can
    see
    > > the other they share clients. If your units does have this mode, you
    should
    > > perhaps think of just running them as AP's on different channels and
    SSID's
    > > and run cable between them. Just a thought.
    > >
    > > Michael

    Maybe that's my problem. So you're saying the bridge will only connect
    to another AP on the same subnet?? I thought the wireless bridge will
    bridge between 2 subnets. It's hooked up to an Ethernet router. Maybe
    I need to replace the Ethernet router with a switch, that way it'll
    all be on 1 subnet with the Belkin taking care of DHCP. Man I wish I
    knew more about networking. Any good tutorials out there?

    hsiacc@mail.com (Andy) wrote in news:d3176d67.0404160806.48a04192
    @posting.google.com:

    > So you're saying the bridge will only connect
    > to another AP on the same subnet??

    Sounds like it. The Wireless Bridge is probably acting as a transparent
    bridge, bridging packets from wired interface to wireless. You'll need to
    stick a router in there somewhere to route the packets correctly between
    the subnets.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    After some more research, and I think someone has suggested, there
    seems to be several Ethernet to wireless bridges sold by the major
    brands (like D-Link DWL810+, Linksys WET11, Netgear ME101NA) which
    will do the trick. Then I remember what I have _is_ a wireless bridge,
    says so right on the unit. I disconnected the Ethernet router and
    connected the printer directly to the Aironet 340, but I had to use a
    crossover cable. It still not working!? This is Aironet, it's supposed
    to be professional strength instead of consumer. Is it just too old or
    are wireless bridges not created equal?

    There is nothing special to a crossover cable, is there? I mean, the
    units sold by DLink, Linksys, Netgear probably just have internal
    crossover instead of having to use a crossover cable, right? Man I'm
    confused and I don't want to spend $100 for a bridge.

    Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94CD7C962FCE8nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130>...
    > hsiacc@mail.com (Andy) wrote in news:d3176d67.0404160806.48a04192
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > So you're saying the bridge will only connect
    > > to another AP on the same subnet??
    >
    > Sounds like it. The Wireless Bridge is probably acting as a transparent
    > bridge, bridging packets from wired interface to wireless. You'll need to
    > stick a router in there somewhere to route the packets correctly between
    > the subnets.

    Hmmm, using different search terms, I came up with this thread from 3
    years ago: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&threadm=961msi%24lt6%241%40nnrp1.deja.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Daironet%2520340%2520wireless%2520bridge%2520printer%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg>

    I will give it a try, but the guy was asking the exact question and
    got it to work. The whole time I was just missing the "root off"
    switch, which I never would have thought to change because I thought
    the "root" option controls whether or not the Ethernet port is active
    (though there is another menu which controls that). Whatever...what
    does root mean again? Too many options to configure.

Belkin Wireless Networking