Setup..Computer in different room from Monitor, keyboard e..

I am finally upgrading my 5 yr old Dell XPS and came up with an idea to
clean up the mess of wires under and behind the computer which is usually at
ones feet... Wonder if anyone has tried it.. I plan on putting the Computer
itself, the cable modem and router in the basement right below where the
monitor is going to be on the first floor. Then the only thing on the new
small elegant type computer table in our dinning room which will be now
will be the Dell FP 1905 monitor with the wireless keyboard/mouse, External
DVD RW and printer which will all connect through the usb ports on the
monitor(the wireless is the Logitech lx700 which has a receiver/charge
cradle which will sit on the Tabletop). The speakers will be the AS500
Sound Bar on the monitor.. Only catch will be getting longer cables for the
monitor, usb connection from monitor to computer and a longer audio cable
for the sound bar.. In theory I can't find a glitch in this idea and hoped
you guys might have tried this and also get your opinions... I know my wife
will like the idea of this cleaner less messy setup :)
5 answers Last reply
More about setup computer room monitor keyboard

    "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am finally upgrading my 5 yr old Dell XPS and came up with an idea to
    >clean up the mess of wires under and behind the computer which is usually
    >at ones feet... Wonder if anyone has tried it.. I plan on putting the
    >Computer itself, the cable modem and router in the basement right below
    >where the monitor is going to be on the first floor. Then the only thing on
    >the new small elegant type computer table in our dinning room which will be
    >now will be the Dell FP 1905 monitor with the wireless keyboard/mouse,
    >External DVD RW and printer which will all connect through the usb ports on
    >the monitor(the wireless is the Logitech lx700 which has a receiver/charge
    >cradle which will sit on the Tabletop). The speakers will be the AS500
    >Sound Bar on the monitor.. Only catch will be getting longer cables for the
    >monitor, usb connection from monitor to computer and a longer audio cable
    >for the sound bar.. In theory I can't find a glitch in this idea and hoped
    >you guys might have tried this and also get your opinions... I know my wife
    >will like the idea of this cleaner less messy setup :)

    Last year I set up two systems with 30' KVM cabling, with the systems
    residing in an unseen storage closet, leaving only the kb, mouse, and LCDs
    visible on the office desks.

    I don't recall the online vendor from whom I purchased, but it all went very
    well. These were analog LCDs, fwiw.

    Stew

    As long as the wireless will work through the floor, I know the monitor
    will. I run a 25 foot monitor cable to my projector and it is flawless. It
    is a good cable though. I bought my extension from www.pacificcable.com.
    Mine is analog VGA, but I suspect you want DVI. They have both.

    DVI: http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm#DVI_Extension_Cables

    VGA: http://www.pacificcable.com/PCCables.htm

    I have the EX13-25ed

    No connection, just a satisfied customer.

    Tom
    "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am finally upgrading my 5 yr old Dell XPS and came up with an idea to
    >clean up the mess of wires under and behind the computer which is usually
    >at ones feet... Wonder if anyone has tried it.. I plan on putting the
    >Computer itself, the cable modem and router in the basement right below
    >where the monitor is going to be on the first floor. Then the only thing on
    >the new small elegant type computer table in our dinning room which will be
    >now will be the Dell FP 1905 monitor with the wireless keyboard/mouse,
    >External DVD RW and printer which will all connect through the usb ports on
    >the monitor(the wireless is the Logitech lx700 which has a receiver/charge
    >cradle which will sit on the Tabletop). The speakers will be the AS500
    >Sound Bar on the monitor.. Only catch will be getting longer cables for the
    >monitor, usb connection from monitor to computer and a longer audio cable
    >for the sound bar.. In theory I can't find a glitch in this idea and hoped
    >you guys might have tried this and also get your opinions... I know my wife
    >will like the idea of this cleaner less messy setup :)

    Tom I too have a 25' svga cable I bought from pacific cable to run the
    computer to our Samsng DLP and it works ok now as long as I only have one
    line connected, I bought a svga spliter from Pacific but with the two are
    connected the quality goes way down... I plan on connecting the Flat Panel
    via DVI and connecting the 25' svga to the open vga connection on the vid
    card, as for the wireless keyboard/mouse I plan on connecting the
    receiver/charging pod to the monitor usb which will put the signal right on
    the desktop, don't think it would ever work with the receiver in the
    basement.... thanks for the quick reply!!

    > As long as the wireless will work through the floor, I know the monitor
    > will. I run a 25 foot monitor cable to my projector and it is flawless.
    > It is a good cable though. I bought my extension from
    > www.pacificcable.com. Mine is analog VGA, but I suspect you want DVI.
    > They have both.
    >
    > DVI: http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm#DVI_Extension_Cables
    >
    > VGA: http://www.pacificcable.com/PCCables.htm
    >
    > I have the EX13-25ed
    >

    > No connection, just a satisfied customer.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I am finally upgrading my 5 yr old Dell XPS and came up with an idea to
    >>clean up the mess of wires under and behind the computer which is usually
    >>at ones feet... Wonder if anyone has tried it.. I plan on putting the
    >>Computer itself, the cable modem and router in the basement right below
    >>where the monitor is going to be on the first floor. Then the only thing
    >>on the new small elegant type computer table in our dinning room which
    >>will be now will be the Dell FP 1905 monitor with the wireless
    >>keyboard/mouse, External DVD RW and printer which will all connect through
    >>the usb ports on the monitor(the wireless is the Logitech lx700 which has
    >>a receiver/charge cradle which will sit on the Tabletop). The speakers
    >>will be the AS500 Sound Bar on the monitor.. Only catch will be getting
    >>longer cables for the monitor, usb connection from monitor to computer and
    >>a longer audio cable for the sound bar.. In theory I can't find a glitch
    >>in this idea and hoped you guys might have tried this and also get your
    >>opinions... I know my wife will like the idea of this cleaner less messy
    >>setup :)

    Yes, I can imagine a splitter would be a problem if it wasn't a powered
    splitter. Sounds like a cool plan.

    Tom
    > Tom I too have a 25' svga cable I bought from pacific cable to run the
    > computer to our Samsng DLP and it works ok now as long as I only have one
    > line connected, I bought a svga spliter from Pacific but with the two are
    > connected the quality goes way down... I plan on connecting the Flat Panel
    > via DVI and connecting the 25' svga to the open vga connection on the vid
    > card, as for the wireless keyboard/mouse I plan on connecting the
    > receiver/charging pod to the monitor usb which will put the signal right
    > on the desktop, don't think it would ever work with the receiver in the
    > basement.... thanks for the quick reply!!

    Just make sure the cable is shielded, and if you run a ground wire it will
    help cut down in RFI. Groung the shielding to a screw on the pc powersupply.
    And try to keep ithe cable away from any UV lightfixtures as the balest will
    cause some major problems.

    MadMan
    "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am finally upgrading my 5 yr old Dell XPS and came up with an idea to
    >clean up the mess of wires under and behind the computer which is usually
    >at ones feet... Wonder if anyone has tried it.. I plan on putting the
    >Computer itself, the cable modem and router in the basement right below
    >where the monitor is going to be on the first floor. Then the only thing on
    >the new small elegant type computer table in our dinning room which will be
    >now will be the Dell FP 1905 monitor with the wireless keyboard/mouse,
    >External DVD RW and printer which will all connect through the usb ports on
    >the monitor(the wireless is the Logitech lx700 which has a receiver/charge
    >cradle which will sit on the Tabletop). The speakers will be the AS500
    >Sound Bar on the monitor.. Only catch will be getting longer cables for the
    >monitor, usb connection from monitor to computer and a longer audio cable
    >for the sound bar.. In theory I can't find a glitch in this idea and hoped
    >you guys might have tried this and also get your opinions... I know my wife
    >will like the idea of this cleaner less messy setup :)

Dell Computer Monitors Computers