Remote assistance errors

Joe

My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
enlighten me.

Thank you in advance
Joe

You are probably behind a NAT device, like a router, and need to forward port 3389 to the local IP

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F607831D-6F85-464B-B192-80241A9CCBA4@microsoft.com...
> My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
> Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
> prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
> established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
> He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
> enlighten me.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Joe

Joe

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your explaination. Yes, I am using a modem (Prolink) with
wireless router (Linksys). Please enlighten me on how to forward port 3389 to
the local IP.... appreciate your effort.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> You are probably behind a NAT device, like a router, and need to forward port 3389 to the local IP
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F607831D-6F85-464B-B192-80241A9CCBA4@microsoft.com...
> > My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
> > Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
> > prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
> > established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
> > He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
> > enlighten me.
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> > Joe

Never used a linksys wireless. The config should have a way to assign the local IP to TCP port 3389. Sometimes called 'exceptions'
or 'forwarding the port'.