Remote assistance errors

My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
enlighten me.

Thank you in advance
Joe
3 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance errors

    You are probably behind a NAT device, like a router, and need to forward port 3389 to the local IP

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F607831D-6F85-464B-B192-80241A9CCBA4@microsoft.com...
    > My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
    > Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
    > prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
    > established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
    > He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
    > enlighten me.
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    > Joe

    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your explaination. Yes, I am using a modem (Prolink) with
    wireless router (Linksys). Please enlighten me on how to forward port 3389 to
    the local IP.... appreciate your effort.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > You are probably behind a NAT device, like a router, and need to forward port 3389 to the local IP
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F607831D-6F85-464B-B192-80241A9CCBA4@microsoft.com...
    > > My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
    > > Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
    > > prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
    > > established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
    > > He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
    > > enlighten me.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance
    > > Joe

    Never used a linksys wireless. The config should have a way to assign the local IP to TCP port 3389. Sometimes called 'exceptions'
    or 'forwarding the port'.

    --

    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17659995-A37C-492F-A8E8-6FA8BC9298E0@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Mark,
    > Thanks for your explaination. Yes, I am using a modem (Prolink) with
    > wireless router (Linksys). Please enlighten me on how to forward port 3389 to
    > the local IP.... appreciate your effort.
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> You are probably behind a NAT device, like a router, and need to forward port 3389 to the local IP
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F607831D-6F85-464B-B192-80241A9CCBA4@microsoft.com...
    >> > My friend and I are using MSN Messenger 7.0. Both of us are using Windows XP
    >> > Pro SP2. When he is trying to send / offer remote assistance to me, it
    >> > prompts an error message something like : Remote assistance could not be
    >> > established. Host name....blah...blah..blah....(sorry that unable to recall).
    >> > He gets the same error message when I send him vice versa......Please
    >> > enlighten me.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance
    >> > Joe

Error Message Windows XP