Windows Help & Support wont connect to net

I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
module.

I've tried a repair install of Windows and reinstalling the H & S Center at
Rebecca Chen MVPS page...nothing worked.

Any ideas?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada

    Clicking "Related Topics" and other hyperlinks cause "Cannot display the
    page" error in Help and Support Center
    http://www.winxptutor.com/helpctrscripting.htm

    Error "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
    this page" in Help and Support Center
    http://www.winxptutor.com/helpsecerror.htm

    Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eIbfCTjZFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> hunted and pecked:
    > I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    > connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    > module.
    >
    > I've tried a repair install of Windows and reinstalling the H & S Center
    > at Rebecca Chen MVPS page...nothing worked.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.

    Thanks for those links, but they aren't the problems I'm having. Links
    work OK, it's just the "Did you Know" news section doesn't update and says I
    need to use the Connection Wizard: which leads nowhere because I already
    have a connection.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada
    > Clicking "Related Topics" and other hyperlinks cause "Cannot display the
    > page" error in Help and Support Center
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/helpctrscripting.htm
    >
    > Error "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
    > this page" in Help and Support Center
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/helpsecerror.htm
    >
    > Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eIbfCTjZFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    >> connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    >> module.
    >>
    >> I've tried a repair install of Windows and reinstalling the H & S Center
    >> at Rebecca Chen MVPS page...nothing worked.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter.
    >> Toronto, Canada
    >> XP Home SP2
    >> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.

    Peter,

    Try deleting the following file...

    C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\newsver.xml

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:us8GNTkZFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for those links, but they aren't the problems I'm having. Links
    > work OK, it's just the "Did you Know" news section doesn't update and
    > says I need to use the Connection Wizard: which leads nowhere because I
    > already have a connection.
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    >> Clicking "Related Topics" and other hyperlinks cause "Cannot display the
    >> page" error in Help and Support Center
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/helpctrscripting.htm
    >>
    >> Error "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls
    >> on this page" in Help and Support Center
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/helpsecerror.htm
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:eIbfCTjZFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    >>> connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    >>> module.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried a repair install of Windows and reinstalling the H & S Center
    >>> at Rebecca Chen MVPS page...nothing worked.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peter.
    >>> Toronto, Canada
    >>> XP Home SP2
    >>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.

    Thanks Wesley but that didn't fix it either. I'm wondering if any updates
    to either Windows itself or to any of my software might have started this
    problem?
    I have McAfee Firewall but it always asks if an application wants access and
    I either say yes or no.
    The weird thing is I can click links at H & S (such as Windows Update) and
    they all work.

    Here's an extract from that XML... it refers to Professional where I'm home,
    but I doubt that's any reason. I also noticed in the Registry that the
    clients folder for PC Health was empty.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?>
    - <NEWSVER URL="" FREQUENCY="2">
    - <LANGUAGE LCID="1033">
    - <SKU VERSION="Personal">
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/shared/hscheadlines/home/newsblock01.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://support.microsoft.com/support/worldwide/en-us/headlines/newsblock02.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    </SKU>
    - <SKU VERSION="Professional">
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/shared/hscheadlines/pro/newsblock01.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://support.microsoft.com/support/worldwide/en-us/headlines/newsblock02.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    </SKU>
    - <SKU VERSION="Server">
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://windows.microsoft.com/windowsxp/en/server/headlines/newsblock01.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://windows.microsoft.com/windowsxp/en/server/headlines/newsblock02.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://windows.microsoft.com/windowsxp/en/server/headlines/newsblock03.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://windows.microsoft.com/windowsxp/en/server/headlines/newsblock04.xml"
    OEM="0" />
    <NEWSBLOCK
    URL="http://windows.microsoft.com/windowsxp/en/server/headlines/newsblock05.xml"
    OEM="0" />

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada

    Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote:
    > I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    > connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    > module.

    a common "problem", still no known solution. If you can do a search and
    get Knowledgebase hits then you are just fine.

    The Did You Know problem is under investigation.

    Here is my experience with the "Did you know?" section in Help Center:

    I've observed this always happens with broadband connection. When I
    connected to internet using dial-up, Help and Support could connect to the
    internet and download the news block XML files (2 XML files will be
    downloaded, and then merged based one some criteria) and the "Did you know?"
    updated correctly. "Did you know?" actually reflects what;s in the XML file.

    When using broadband (ADSL), I changed the value "EnableAutodial" to 1 in
    this key:

    [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

    This works sometimes, but not consistently.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi again, frodo!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote:
    >> I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    >> connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    >> module.
    >
    > a common "problem", still no known solution. If you can do a search and
    > get Knowledgebase hits then you are just fine.
    >
    > The Did You Know problem is under investigation.

    Thanks all...I guess I'll just have to "grin & bear it" ;-)

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada
    > Hi again, frodo!
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    >> Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote:
    >>> I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    >>> connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    >>> module.
    >>
    >> a common "problem", still no known solution. If you can do a search and
    >> get Knowledgebase hits then you are just fine.
    >>
    >> The Did You Know problem is under investigation.

    I just got a reply from Microsoft Support asking for screenshots. They say
    it's a known issue, especially with OEM installations. Well, how come it
    worked fine until a week or so ago?

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada
    XP Home SP2
    P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    > Hi again, frodo!
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    >> Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> wrote:
    >>> I have an "always-on" cable connection and everything has no problems
    >>> connecting to the web except the Help & Support Center's "Did you know"
    >>> module.
    >>
    >> a common "problem", still no known solution. If you can do a search and
    >> get Knowledgebase hits then you are just fine.
    >>
    >> The Did You Know problem is under investigation.

    SWAG
    The way that some OEM help programs are linked to Help and Support. I.e
    Gateway and HelpSpot. <shrug>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eF5fpWpZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> hunted and pecked:
    > I just got a reply from Microsoft Support asking for screenshots. They
    > say it's a known issue, especially with OEM installations. Well, how
    > come it worked fine until a week or so ago?
    >
    > --
    > Peter.
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    >> Hi again, frodo!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> a common "problem", still no known solution. If you can do a search and
    >>> get Knowledgebase hits then you are just fine.
    >>>
    >>> The Did You Know problem is under investigation.

    SWAG .. ? I thought that it was more WYSIWYDG (What you see is what you
    don't get)....LOL

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada
    > SWAG
    > The way that some OEM help programs are linked to Help and Support. I.e
    > Gateway and HelpSpot. <shrug>
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eF5fpWpZFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    > Peter <r2d2 AT cesmail DOT net> hunted and pecked:
    >> I just got a reply from Microsoft Support asking for screenshots. They
    >> say it's a known issue, especially with OEM installations. Well, how
    >> come it worked fine until a week or so ago?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter.
    >> Toronto, Canada
    >> XP Home SP2
    >> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 160gb HD.
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi again, frodo!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    > Hi again, frodo!

    Back at ya Ramesh.

    I have seen this issue w/ both dial up and broadband. I set up new PCs on
    a regular basis, and lately virtually every single one will not update its
    Did You Know. Then out of the blue one will. No big deal, but a mystery
    none the less. My current machine, running broadband, is stuck back at
    May 05, 2005. Yesterday while dialed-in it was stuck there too
    [obviously].

    Curisously, back on may 5th, when it did update, the link was rather busy,
    and yet it updated! Can't figure it out. Still convinced its an XML
    filtering issue, the newsxxxx.xml files are always zero-length in the IE
    cache. All these machines are using various ISPs, so it's not related to
    a specific ISP (but perhaps a common proxy/cache app that some isp's might
    be using?? Squid??).

    BTW, newest machine's I've been setting up are NOT using Zone Alarm,
    so ZA is NOT the cause of this issue as far as I can tell.

    [Brand fresh XP SP2 installs show this issue, before installing any
    Windows Updates].

    The mystery continues...
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks frodo.

    >> the newsxxxx.xml files are always zero-length in the IE cache.

    You're correct. They end-up as 0 byte files in the two content.ie5
    sub-folders.

    >> Brand fresh XP SP2 installs show this issue.

    Ditto here. I re-imaged one of my systems here and the problem is seen in
    that as well.

    Here is what I did to manually update the DIY (tedious process - for most
    users)

    For XP Pro - English edition
    ===================

    Download newsblock1.xml and newsblock2.xml using your Download manager. (not
    via IE)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/shared/hscheadlines/pro/newsblock01.xml
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/worldwide/en-us/headlines/newsblock02.xml

    Open newsblock1.xml with Notepad
    Open newsblock2.xml with Notepad

    Merge both the files (leaving out the redundant NEWSHEADLINES tags) and save
    as the following

    "NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml"

    Format of the NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml file:
    Example: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/temp/mergedxml.txt

    Place this file in this location:

    > Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >> Hi again, frodo!
    >
    > Back at ya Ramesh.
    >
    > I have seen this issue w/ both dial up and broadband. I set up new PCs on
    > a regular basis, and lately virtually every single one will not update its
    > Did You Know. Then out of the blue one will. No big deal, but a mystery
    > none the less. My current machine, running broadband, is stuck back at
    > May 05, 2005. Yesterday while dialed-in it was stuck there too
    > [obviously].
    >
    > Curisously, back on may 5th, when it did update, the link was rather busy,
    > and yet it updated! Can't figure it out. Still convinced its an XML
    > filtering issue, the newsxxxx.xml files are always zero-length in the IE
    > cache. All these machines are using various ISPs, so it's not related to
    > a specific ISP (but perhaps a common proxy/cache app that some isp's might
    > be using?? Squid??).
    >
    > BTW, newest machine's I've been setting up are NOT using Zone Alarm,
    > so ZA is NOT the cause of this issue as far as I can tell.
    >
    > [Brand fresh XP SP2 installs show this issue, before installing any
    > Windows Updates].
    >
    > The mystery continues...

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    For XP Pro....darn.

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada