Will Mario Bros or DK 3 swap into Donkey Kong?

I have a Double DK that I was thinking of getting DK3 and Mario Bros
boards to swap in. Could I just plug the boards in and have them work
or is it more complicated than that? If I bought a DK3 adaptor from
Arcade shop would the boards then work with a standard Jamma game?

I converted a Donkey Kong 3 to a Donkey Kong a while back. Seems to me
that the connector to the PCB was identical, but the control panel
connector was definitely different in DK3. But if you're not swapping
CPs, that shouldn't be a problem.

You WILL have a problem with Mario Bros, though--it's a horizontal
game, while the three DKs are vertical. You'd have to change the
monitor orientation to play Mario Bros.

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

kaz1961 wrote:
> I have a Double DK that I was thinking of getting DK3 and Mario Bros
> boards to swap in. Could I just plug the boards in and have them work
> or is it more complicated than that? If I bought a DK3 adaptor from
> Arcade shop would the boards then work with a standard Jamma game?

The only board you can swap into a DK is a DK Jr.

DK3 uses the card-edge style connector exclusively. DK / DK Jr. use a harness
full of individual connectors that go to different places on the board. If you
install a jumper ribbon between the two boards (carries power from one side to
the other) you can use the edge connector type DK3 harness. This is the
easy/cheap way to make a multi-DK type machine. Install DK3 style harness and
install jumper ribbons on each boardset.

Every now and then someone argues that they've got a DK with the edge connector
style harness, but I would bet money not a single one came from the factory like
this. What you're most likely looking at is a DK3 that has been unconverted.

Mario is horizontal, not vertical like DK family. So it won't be very playable.

Richard

On 28 Jun 2005 08:58:37 -0700, "Dave Ellis" <ellis_1701@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I converted a Donkey Kong 3 to a Donkey Kong a while back. Seems to me
>that the connector to the PCB was identical, but the control panel
>connector was definitely different in DK3. But if you're not swapping
>CPs, that shouldn't be a problem.
>
>You WILL have a problem with Mario Bros, though--it's a horizontal
>game, while the three DKs are vertical. You'd have to change the
>monitor orientation to play Mario Bros.
>
>-Dave Ellis
>http://www.davesclassicarcade.com
>
>kaz1961 wrote:
>> I have a Double DK that I was thinking of getting DK3 and Mario Bros
>> boards to swap in. Could I just plug the boards in and have them work
>> or is it more complicated than that? If I bought a DK3 adaptor from
>> Arcade shop would the boards then work with a standard Jamma game?

On 28 Jun 2005 16:39:02 GMT, "Mark C. Spaeth"
<mspaeth@plancherel.mit.edu> wrote:

>DK/DKJr used both types of harnesses. If his game has an edge connector,
>it'll be fine.

A DKJr cocktail is the only one that came with a edge connector
harness. The uprights all used the cables Richard described. The
DK3 Conversion kit, however, did convert the harness to a edge
connector.

You can also plug in a RadarScope board set, if you have the
additional power supply harness (7-pins, I think)

Best,

- Mike -