cheap pci-e recommendation

dipdeol

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I'm thinking of upgrading my system from an athlonxp 1900+ to a p4 550 s775 on an intel 915 chipset board. the problem is this the 9x5 chipsets dont support agp.

I need a cheap pci express video card to replace my MSI 8550 GF3 Ti200 128MB card. I am mainly using the system for a lot of video editing and encoding (premiere, after effects, pinnacle, vegas etc). I am not a huge gamer, but i play a decent amount of sports games (the nhl series for example). So far, my video card has served me well, and I'm looking for something that performs about as well or slightly better for a low price. The only feature that I really need is video in. DVI would be nice, but i realize that would probably cost more. can anyone recommend a good cheap card that fits these requirements?

cleeve

Illustrious
If you have a gigabyte of RAM, the Geforce 6200 "Turbocache" is a really good budget choice, but I'm not sure it's shown up for sale yet.

If you have less RAM, and all you play is the occasional sports game, you could eek by with a Radeon X300... It's got a more jam than your old Geforce3, but not tons more. Just make sure it's the 128-bit version, not the 64-bit version (sometimes referred to as the X300SE or LE).

If you want to stretch your gaming legs a little, spend a couple extra bucks and go for an X600 PRO.