Dimension 4400 and 4550 and their Intel counterparts

Hi all,

I know that my Dimension 4400 board is basically an Intel 845PT. I am
still interested in flashing an Intel BIOS to that board, but as long as
it is working fine I won't try it.

Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.

But now the question: which Intel board is the equivalent of the 4550? I
want to try to flash an Intel BIOS with the emergency flash procedure,
but of course I will need to know which Intel board this is.

Olaf
10 answers Last reply
More about dimension 4400 4550 intel counterparts

    "Olaf Zaplinski" <spamtrap34786-jan2005@fortytwo.eu.org> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I know that my Dimension 4400 board is basically an Intel 845PT. I am
    > still interested in flashing an Intel BIOS to that board, but as long as
    > it is working fine I won't try it.
    >
    > Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    > this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    > 4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.
    >
    > But now the question: which Intel board is the equivalent of the 4550? I
    > want to try to flash an Intel BIOS with the emergency flash procedure, but
    > of course I will need to know which Intel board this is.
    >
    > Olaf

    None. It is a Dell designed motherboard, built under contract from Intel by
    one of their sub-contractors.

    Tom

    "Olaf Zaplinski" <spamtrap34786-jan2005@fortytwo.eu.org> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I know that my Dimension 4400 board is basically an Intel 845PT. I am
    > still interested in flashing an Intel BIOS to that board, but as long as
    > it is working fine I won't try it.
    >
    > Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    > this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    > 4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.
    >
    > But now the question: which Intel board is the equivalent of the 4550? I
    > want to try to flash an Intel BIOS with the emergency flash procedure, but
    > of course I will need to know which Intel board this is.
    >
    > Olaf

    I've always thought it was an Intel 845PE based board (533mhz FSB w/PC2700
    333mhz DDR support).

    Shame to ruin such a nice board.

    Stew

    > "Olaf Zaplinski" <spamtrap34786-jan2005@fortytwo.eu.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I know that my Dimension 4400 board is basically an Intel 845PT. I am
    >> still interested in flashing an Intel BIOS to that board, but as long as
    >> it is working fine I won't try it.
    >>
    >> Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    >> this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    >> 4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.
    >>
    >> But now the question: which Intel board is the equivalent of the 4550? I
    >> want to try to flash an Intel BIOS with the emergency flash procedure,
    >> but of course I will need to know which Intel board this is.
    >>
    >> Olaf
    >

    > I've always thought it was an Intel 845PE based board (533mhz FSB w/PC2700
    > 333mhz DDR support).
    >
    > Shame to ruin such a nice board.
    >

    > Stew

    It could be that chipset, and similar to an Intel design, but the
    differences could be catastrophic.

    Tom

    May I suggest doing the following in an attempt to recover the BIOS on the
    board. Print out, read, and have available for reference the BIOS recovery
    procedure documented on the Intel web site.

    1. Prepare a bootable floppy with the latest 4550 BIOS from www.dell.com
    2. Find the BIOS recovery jumper on the motherboard, and set it in the recovery
    position.
    3. Put the floppy in the drive, and power up the system.
    4. The BIOS recovery procedure is a bit spooky because there is nothing to see
    on the screen, only some audible beeps as the recovery process executes.
    5. Be patient. Give it a few minutes to finish.

    With luck, you will succeed. Actually, if Dell's flash BIOS update program and
    diskette take the same approach as Intel's, you will succeed.

    If the above fails, download any arbitrary Intel 845 chipset BIOS and prepare
    the bootable floppy. Next, delete all the BIOS image files from the floppy, and
    substitute the BIOS image files from the Dell BIOS diskette. Try again.
    Essentially, you are using the Intel BIOS flash software to flash (recover) the
    Dell BIOS.

    The tech specs for the 4550 look very much like one of the last 845 chipset
    boards produced by Intel. Match up the number of slots by comparing with boards
    on the Intel web site, download the BIOS for the Intel board and, once again,
    attempt BIOS recovery.

    At this point, you have little to lose and much to gain if any one of these
    procedures succeeds... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:53:27 +0100, Olaf Zaplinski
    <spamtrap34786-jan2005@fortytwo.eu.org> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I know that my Dimension 4400 board is basically an Intel 845PT. I am
    >still interested in flashing an Intel BIOS to that board, but as long as
    >it is working fine I won't try it.
    >
    >Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    >this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    >4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.
    >
    >But now the question: which Intel board is the equivalent of the 4550? I
    >want to try to flash an Intel BIOS with the emergency flash procedure,
    >but of course I will need to know which Intel board this is.
    >
    >Olaf

    Hi all,

    thanks to everyone, especially to Ben for his detailed instructions.

    Well, the board arrived today. I removed my 4400 board and installed
    processor and RAM in the 4550 board. Except for that only one of the two
    front panel connectors did fit (there was no connector on the board for
    the 2nd one) I had no problems.

    I removed the "BIOS recovery" jumper according to what is printed on the
    board and tried to flash the BIOS with Dell's BIOS boot floppy.

    I started, lighted a cigarette and waited... nothing happened. I tried
    removing the VGA card and the RAM, it was still the same. According to
    the tech docs, the 4550 should accept my P4/1700 and my DDR266 RAM from
    my 4400, right?

    Unfortunately it did not work, it even did not try to access the floppy
    in any way. I guess the board is "more dead" than I expected. Even the
    diag LEDs on the back stayed off when I powered on the board. :-(

    BTW, I had no idea that P4 CPUs are *so* tiny!

    Olaf

    The second connector should be for the front panel USB ports? I don't have a
    board diagram in front of me.

    Usually, when a motherboard and power supply are plugged into the external
    source of electricity, the system shows some signs of life. The CPU fan spins
    momentarily and a small LED on a Dell P4 motherboard lights up.

    If the cooling fan on the back of the chassis is not attached to the
    motherboard, this will inhibit proper operation... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:23:56 +0100, Olaf Zaplinski
    <spamtrap34786-jan2005@fortytwo.eu.org> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >thanks to everyone, especially to Ben for his detailed instructions.
    >
    >Well, the board arrived today. I removed my 4400 board and installed
    >processor and RAM in the 4550 board. Except for that only one of the two
    >front panel connectors did fit (there was no connector on the board for
    >the 2nd one) I had no problems.
    >
    >I removed the "BIOS recovery" jumper according to what is printed on the
    >board and tried to flash the BIOS with Dell's BIOS boot floppy.
    >
    >I started, lighted a cigarette and waited... nothing happened. I tried
    >removing the VGA card and the RAM, it was still the same. According to
    >the tech docs, the 4550 should accept my P4/1700 and my DDR266 RAM from
    >my 4400, right?
    >
    >Unfortunately it did not work, it even did not try to access the floppy
    >in any way. I guess the board is "more dead" than I expected. Even the
    >diag LEDs on the back stayed off when I powered on the board. :-(
    >
    >BTW, I had no idea that P4 CPUs are *so* tiny!
    >
    >Olaf

    Hi Ben,

    Ben Myers schrieb:
    > The second connector should be for the front panel USB ports? I don't have a
    > board diagram in front of me.

    Could be. But this connector is not essential for operating. If the 4550
    board would work, I would warm up my soldering iron, the connector is
    there, only the pins are missing...

    > Usually, when a motherboard and power supply are plugged into the external
    > source of electricity, the system shows some signs of life. The CPU fan spins
    > momentarily and a small LED on a Dell P4 motherboard lights up.

    I know the "CPU fan spinning for short time when connecting power" only
    from the Dim5000 that I installed recently. I bought one for a friend,
    the money they wanted was tempting (they made that offer because my
    company bought one 6650 PE and several other PEs recently, and only
    because I like my old 6450 - but that is another story). For me, it was
    still far from affordable, so I went with Ebay...

    Anyway, the 4550 does not show any signs of life when connecting the
    power cord. But the LED lights up as soon as I connect the power cord.
    Very similar to my 4400. When I press the power button with the 4550
    board installed, nothing happens except that the power unit fan starts
    spinning. No beeps, no diag LED signs, nothing.

    Hmm, I did not connect the CPU fan, I was too lazy. Why? Recently I was
    curious how P4 thermal throttling works, so I removed the CPU fan of my
    4400, booted Linux, started compiling the kernel... yup, it works. Linux
    even logs it to the syslog that the CPU is too hot and throttling now.

    Funny is: my 4400 came with a quite noisy CPU fan, so I recently bought
    an Arctic Cooler 80mm fan at Ebay and installed it... it was not easy,
    but it works. And that throttling test was because I wanted to find out
    if the new (smaller) fan could cool a very stressed CPU down to normal
    temperatures. Well, it does. Now I own the quietest PC ever. :-) Call
    me a Dellbot, but I would not have bought it if I had not got a new
    Dim3000 at work that I like also.

    Anyway, there are several conditions when my 4400 says "could not detect
    CPU fan", e.g. when the machine is so cold that the new fan spins at
    very low rpms. Anyway, at last I found out that my 4400 tells me about a
    CPU fan failure, but then happily boots. Even when the CPU fan is
    completely missing. So the 4550 stops without a CPU fan attached?

    > If the cooling fan on the back of the chassis is not attached to the
    > motherboard, this will inhibit proper operation...

    Thanks! I will check that another day.

    Olaf

    Hi,

    Olaf Zaplinski schrieb:
    > Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    > this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    > 4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.

    I just wanted to tell that this board is really dead. Or could it be
    that it does not like my P4/1.7 or my 266 MHz DDR RAM?

    Olaf

    > Hi,
    >
    > Olaf Zaplinski schrieb:
    >> Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    >> this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    >> 4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.
    >
    > I just wanted to tell that this board is really dead. Or could it be that
    > it does not like my P4/1.7 or my 266 MHz DDR RAM?
    >
    > Olaf

    The 4550 never shipped with a processor that slow, so it could be the
    problem

    > "Olaf Zaplinski" <spamtrap34786-jan2005@fortytwo.eu.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Olaf Zaplinski schrieb:
    >>> Anyway, someone managed to flash his Dimension 4550 to death, and I got
    >>> this board for 1 Euro at Ebay. I guess that this board will fit into my
    >>> 4400 case, the board layout seems to be very similar.
    >>
    >> I just wanted to tell that this board is really dead. Or could it be that
    >> it does not like my P4/1.7 or my 266 MHz DDR RAM?
    >>
    >> Olaf
    >
    > The 4550 never shipped with a processor that slow, so it could be the
    > problem

    If it is the processor FSB, he'd likely have beep error codes at attempted
    power up. While I've not tried it, I'm guessing that the 1.7/400mhz might
    actually work.

    If he's getting no beep codes, then I would think the board is toast.

    Stew

Dell Flash Intel Dimension Computers