Fido roaming in USA

Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been any
changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?

Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
customers not having to lift a finger.

Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular" network
IDs ? or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular being
displayed depending on where they are located ?

Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?
4 answers Last reply
More about fido roaming

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:41:34 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been any
    >changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?

    Highly doubtful. Considering that the final agreement was only
    accomplished a few days ago I think it's really unrealistic to expect
    that there are many if any changes. It won't affect Fido roaming at
    all in that all agreements that were in effect before AT&T Wireless
    and cingular's agreement happened are still in effect. If you could
    previously roam on either AT&T Wireless, cingular and T-Mobile odds
    are that nothing has changed.

    >Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
    >customers not having to lift a finger.

    Do you mean ads as in advertisements? That's probably more done by
    the marketing people than by people who actually have any control over
    the two networks. The addition of AT&T Wireless network to cingular's
    network will *not* happen overnight.

    >Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular" network
    >IDs ?

    No or at least not immediately. Eventually different network
    identifiers may happen and if you have a handset with older firmware
    it may say AT&T Wireless, USA38, 310-38 or cingular depending on what
    the firmware on the handset says. Also it may happen eventually that
    the network broadcast ID will all be unified, but even now cingular is
    using at least three different networks depending on which area of the
    US you are in. Even three years since cingular was created their
    whole network is not totally unified from their days as Pacific Bell
    PCS, Bell South DCS, Bell South Mobile Systems and Southwestern Bell
    Mobility.

    >or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular being
    >displayed depending on where they are located ?

    In the short term you will likely see whatever network name was
    previously displayed and likely will for a while longer until the two
    systems actually combine.

    >Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?

    What happens? They are still there and will likely behave in the same
    way they always have. If you previously had access to cingular and
    AT&T Wireless you still will and will likely have them as separate
    choices for available networks. It's likely that you'll have a choice
    of either of three networks if available AT&T Wireless, cingular and
    T-Mobile just as AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile and cingular have a choice of
    using either Rogers or Microcell when those subscribers travel to
    Canada.

    "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
    >>customers not having to lift a finger.
    >
    > Do you mean ads as in advertisements? That's probably more done by
    > the marketing people than by people who actually have any control over
    > the two networks.

    I'm sure this claim is true. Rogers has said the same thing about adding
    the Fido network - all it has to do is enable roaming on Rogers for Fido
    customers, and roaming on Fido for Rogers customers, and if one network has
    no service, the other will fire up automatically. That's precisely what
    T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless have done.

    Since Fido already had roaming privileges on both networks, this resulted in
    no change at all for Fido customers.

    Jim

    While I was in california, I was able to use both Cingular Wireless and AT&T
    Wireless.

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been
    > any
    > changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?
    >
    > Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
    > customers not having to lift a finger.
    >
    > Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular"
    > network
    > IDs ? or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular
    > being
    > displayed depending on where they are located ?
    >
    > Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?

    I was in Las Vegas 1 month ago. 95% of the time I had Cingular. The
    rest of the time (rare) I had AT&T.

    M.

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:41:34 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been any
    >changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?
    >
    >Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
    >customers not having to lift a finger.
    >
    >Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular" network
    >IDs ? or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular being
    >displayed depending on where they are located ?
    >
    >Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?

Fido At&T Cingular Internet Service Providers