  • Cingular
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
November 6, 2004 11:41:34 PM

Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been any
changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?

Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
customers not having to lift a finger.

Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular" network
IDs ? or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular being
displayed depending on where they are located ?

Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?

More about : fido roaming usa

November 6, 2004 11:41:35 PM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:41:34 -0500, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been any
>changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?

Highly doubtful. Considering that the final agreement was only
accomplished a few days ago I think it's really unrealistic to expect
that there are many if any changes. It won't affect Fido roaming at
all in that all agreements that were in effect before AT&T Wireless
and cingular's agreement happened are still in effect. If you could
previously roam on either AT&T Wireless, cingular and T-Mobile odds
are that nothing has changed.

>Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
>customers not having to lift a finger.

Do you mean ads as in advertisements? That's probably more done by
the marketing people than by people who actually have any control over
the two networks. The addition of AT&T Wireless network to cingular's
network will *not* happen overnight.

>Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular" network
>IDs ?

No or at least not immediately. Eventually different network
identifiers may happen and if you have a handset with older firmware
it may say AT&T Wireless, USA38, 310-38 or cingular depending on what
the firmware on the handset says. Also it may happen eventually that
the network broadcast ID will all be unified, but even now cingular is
using at least three different networks depending on which area of the
US you are in. Even three years since cingular was created their
whole network is not totally unified from their days as Pacific Bell
PCS, Bell South DCS, Bell South Mobile Systems and Southwestern Bell
Mobility.

>or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular being
>displayed depending on where they are located ?

In the short term you will likely see whatever network name was
previously displayed and likely will for a while longer until the two
systems actually combine.

>Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?

What happens? They are still there and will likely behave in the same
way they always have. If you previously had access to cingular and
AT&T Wireless you still will and will likely have them as separate
choices for available networks. It's likely that you'll have a choice
of either of three networks if available AT&T Wireless, cingular and
T-Mobile just as AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile and cingular have a choice of
using either Rogers or Microcell when those subscribers travel to
Canada.
November 8, 2004 11:23:45 AM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
>>customers not having to lift a finger.
>
> Do you mean ads as in advertisements? That's probably more done by
> the marketing people than by people who actually have any control over
> the two networks.

I'm sure this claim is true. Rogers has said the same thing about adding
the Fido network - all it has to do is enable roaming on Rogers for Fido
customers, and roaming on Fido for Rogers customers, and if one network has
no service, the other will fire up automatically. That's precisely what
T-Mobile and AT&T Wireless have done.

Since Fido already had roaming privileges on both networks, this resulted in
no change at all for Fido customers.

Jim
November 11, 2004 2:20:36 AM

While I was in california, I was able to use both Cingular Wireless and AT&T
Wireless.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Now that Cingular has officially taken over AT&T wireless, have there been
> any
> changes to Fido customers roaming in the USA ?
>
> Cingular made some adds about how the "network changed overnight" with
> customers not having to lift a finger.
>
> Does this mean that AT&T cell sites are now broadcasting "Cingular"
> network
> IDs ? or are roaming customers still going to see a AT&T and Cingular
> being
> displayed depending on where they are located ?
>
> Also, what happens to areas where both Cingular and AT&T had coverage ?
November 13, 2004 3:19:57 AM

I was in Las Vegas 1 month ago. 95% of the time I had Cingular. The
rest of the time (rare) I had AT&T.

!