Gates Talks About Google's Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
What competition? Google is doing this simply because it can not because it should... Windows, in it's many incarnations, is going to be "it" for a long time.

G

If Chrome is even half as good as Windows Me I think ol' MS will have something to worry about. I love Windows Me bu competition is good nonetheless.

G

Google is becoming Microsoft of the 90's...believing it's unbeatable in any market.

One day, they'll wake up and realize people dislike them as much as they dislike(d) Microsoft...it's inevitable.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The Google Chrome OS is exactly as they put it: another iteration of Linux. While making the argument that Windows is something "different" is hard to do because it is everywhere, still, you don't see other OSs that similar to Windows, probably because it is closed source.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
As everybody says, competition is great, but this is a dressed up version of Linux.

As long as developers do not (by and large) support the OS, Windows will be king.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]ZyxMEvEuuxcZ[/nom]Google Chrome browser just another Firefox browser only without Adblock[/citation]

We're talking about an OS here, not a browser.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]windowsmelover[/nom]If Chrome is even half as good as Windows Me I think ol' MS will have something to worry about. I love Windows Me bu competition is good nonetheless.[/citation]

You LIKE Windows ME!? My god man, try XP at the least!

ME was the biggest mistake Microsoft ever made.... aside from Vista. I really hope Win7 doesn't suck

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]windowsmelover[/nom]If Chrome is even half as good as Windows Me I think ol' MS will have something to worry about. I love Windows Me bu competition is good nonetheless.[/citation]

We all loved Windows ME for it was probably the best OS ever made by man. Stable, secure, user-friendly, not a single BSOD... But it's over now, you'll have to accept it someday.

cozalp

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Chrome OS can only compete with Windows in netbook segment. There is no potential threat for Windows on corporate, enthusiast or gamer desktops.

I don't think Microsoft worries about losing some share in a low profit margin market.

mrkenan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I don't care if it's "just another dressed up Linux OS." I just want to have something that works and I think that there are probably a lot of other people out there that share my opinion. The fact that it will be free gives people more incentive to at least try it out and that is what MS has to worry about.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Google is looking to the future for their OS. It won't make much of a dent in the short term, but they see it as a quick ticket into their cloud of applications going forward, and pushing most things into the browser. Besides, everything Ballmer predicts failure for tends to do really well.

highwayman

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I'm hoping for a Moblin for the rest of us. Heck I don't have time for all the bells and whistles... I need the bare basics on my laptop. I have a desktop for the rest.

G

Chrome will definitely HURT Microsoft! We have to keep in mind that Microsoft is in a position where it can only go one way -- and that is DOWN!

Microsoft only has to face the reality of the 'average' consumer experiencing and, God forbid, becoming accustomed to a "different" operating system. If the Chrome OS turns out to be cool and feature worthy, this will certainly be the case.

And Microsoft will have a LOT to lose because of it... Apple will as well, perhaps!

And it would be about time!

G

If they would base their OS on Linux wine, that would make a difference!
A windows based Linux!
But as far as Google OS, or anything else that's linux based, I think I'd prefer Ubuntu.
Besides,where are you going to find programs and drivers fully compatible with that os?

It costs hundreds of volunteers working for years to get a database of drivers, and programs working.
It's not something Google will be able to mimmic unless they base their Linux on Slax, Debian, Redhat, or some other form of Linux; in which case it'd make more sense to go with an OS that already has earned a reputation and fame.

The only thing that Google OS could do to 'impress' people next to what I mentioned above is create a Linux OS that looks and feels like Windows.
But I'm sure they would get sued if they did so.

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I don't think ChromeOS will "knock out" Windows, especially with Windows 7 coming out but I do think it will be good for Linux as a whole. It will get a lot more people interested in Linux than before since almost everyone knows knows about Google but not everybody has heard of Ubuntu,SuSe, Red Hat/Fedora, Debian, etc... See what I mean? It would be like if Microsoft marketed Linux, all the sudden people would be like "Wow look at this brand new Microsoft OS it's awesome!" when Linux has actually been around for about 15 years. All in All it's about getting the word of it out, about 80-90% of computer users probably have no idea what Linux is since it's not marketed and shoved in our faces at every turn like everything else in this world is.

[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]The Google Chrome OS is exactly as they put it: another iteration of Linux. While making the argument that Windows is something "different" is hard to do because it is everywhere, still, you don't see other OSs that similar to Windows, probably because it is closed source.[/citation]

I guess you've never seen ReactOS its pretty much an open source clone of Windows XP but it's built entirely from scratch and doesn't use any Microsoft code. It's still in the Alpha stages though (0.3.10), even after a few years.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I love idiots that think each distribution is a different OS. There aren't multiple linux operating systems there is one and then there are specialized distribution. Saying Google is making an operating system is misleading because they aren't, they are using the linux kernel and are building upon it to make a distribution.

yjagota

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Kewl Munky[/nom]I love idiots that think each distribution is a different OS. There aren't multiple linux operating systems there is one and then there are specialized distribution.[/citation]
Linux is a family of OS which use the Linux Kernel, it is not a OS, it is a KERNEL. Most of the different distributions actually are different OS!

Status
Not open for further replies.