Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

media.exe error message

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:14:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down intolerably
and the 'new' user cannot function.
A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs restarting,
after which all is back to normal - for one user.
When the system closes down there is an additional message about media.exe
not initializing.
What to do!???
Thanks
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:58:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

media.exe seems to be added by a trojan or virus.

Update your antivirus software and run a system scan!!!!!


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BEC7772F-9CA6-43E9-BB9B-A5E717F5986C@microsoft.com,
SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down intolerably
> and the 'new' user cannot function.
> A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs
> restarting, after which all is back to normal - for one user.
> When the system closes down there is an additional message about media.exe
> not initializing.
> What to do!???
> Thanks
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:05:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks Wesley - here is somemore info - I took a screen shot of my desktop to
illustrate my exact error messages.
I have Norton antivirus - fuly updated by the way - my xp firewall is on
Hmmm - how do I add an image here?
Cannot - so here is the text of the main error message:
"MediaAccess.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to
terminate the application"

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> media.exe seems to be added by a trojan or virus.
>
> Update your antivirus software and run a system scan!!!!!
>
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:BEC7772F-9CA6-43E9-BB9B-A5E717F5986C@microsoft.com,
> SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down intolerably
> > and the 'new' user cannot function.
> > A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs
> > restarting, after which all is back to normal - for one user.
> > When the system closes down there is an additional message about media.exe
> > not initializing.
> > What to do!???
> > Thanks
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

We don't need a screen shot.

You have spyware!

[[mediaaccess.exe is an advertising program by Windupdate. This process
monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's
servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This program is
a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.]]

Removal instructions
Adware.MediaPass
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

====

Here's some further information.

Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
SP2, get it

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
-----

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

-----

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:
http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip

1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=...

4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) Ad-aware SE Personal
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

-----

HijackThis log tutorial
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

HijackThis Log Tutorial
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtu...

How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877

-----

MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

-----

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.msp...

What you should know about spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

Cleaning Up XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C85A5448-7D92-4B2D-B662-F338AD157B22@microsoft.com,
SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wesley - here is somemore info - I took a screen shot of my
> desktop to illustrate my exact error messages.
> I have Norton antivirus - fuly updated by the way - my xp firewall is on
> Hmmm - how do I add an image here?
> Cannot - so here is the text of the main error message:
> "MediaAccess.exe - Application Error
> The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to
> terminate the application"
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> media.exe seems to be added by a trojan or virus.
>>
>> Update your antivirus software and run a system scan!!!!!
>>
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:BEC7772F-9CA6-43E9-BB9B-A5E717F5986C@microsoft.com,
>> SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down
>>> intolerably and the 'new' user cannot function.
>>> A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs
>>> restarting, after which all is back to normal - for one user.
>>> When the system closes down there is an additional message about
>>> media.exe not initializing.
>>> What to do!???
>>> Thanks
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:19:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"applcation failed to initialize click ok to terminate application"

Whenever I switch a useron Windows Xp , this message pops up after a minute
or two of loading. I found out about this ISA server which I have no idea
about and the help and support center here at Microsoft said to verify if the
ISA server files were there. I went to Program Files and looked for it but I
couldn't find it. I scanned my computer for viruses but nothing was found.
Please help! I'm desperate
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:03:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
"leevanescence21" <leevanescence21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CF2BFAE-E3EE-485C-9546-D29C0B230DFD@microsoft.com...
>
> "applcation failed to initialize click ok to terminate application"
>
> Whenever I switch a useron Windows Xp , this message pops up after a minute
> or two of loading. I found out about this ISA server which I have no idea
> about and the help and support center here at Microsoft said to verify if the
> ISA server files were there. I went to Program Files and looked for it but I
> couldn't find it. I scanned my computer for viruses but nothing was found.
> Please help! I'm desperate
>
!