media.exe error message

When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down intolerably
and the 'new' user cannot function.
A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs restarting,
after which all is back to normal - for one user.
When the system closes down there is an additional message about media.exe
not initializing.
What to do!???
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about media error message

    media.exe seems to be added by a trojan or virus.

    Update your antivirus software and run a system scan!!!!!

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BEC7772F-9CA6-43E9-BB9B-A5E717F5986C@microsoft.com,
    SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down intolerably
    > and the 'new' user cannot function.
    > A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs
    > restarting, after which all is back to normal - for one user.
    > When the system closes down there is an additional message about media.exe
    > not initializing.
    > What to do!???
    > Thanks

    Thanks Wesley - here is somemore info - I took a screen shot of my desktop to
    illustrate my exact error messages.
    I have Norton antivirus - fuly updated by the way - my xp firewall is on
    Hmmm - how do I add an image here?
    Cannot - so here is the text of the main error message:
    "MediaAccess.exe - Application Error
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to
    terminate the application"

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > media.exe seems to be added by a trojan or virus.
    >
    > Update your antivirus software and run a system scan!!!!!
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:BEC7772F-9CA6-43E9-BB9B-A5E717F5986C@microsoft.com,
    > SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down intolerably
    > > and the 'new' user cannot function.
    > > A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs
    > > restarting, after which all is back to normal - for one user.
    > > When the system closes down there is an additional message about media.exe
    > > not initializing.
    > > What to do!???
    > > Thanks

    We don't need a screen shot.

    You have spyware!

    [[mediaaccess.exe is an advertising program by Windupdate. This process
    monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's
    servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This program is
    a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.]]

    Removal instructions
    Adware.MediaPass
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.mediapass.html

    ====

    Here's some further information.

    Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
    SP2, get it

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    -----

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    -----

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.13 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    -----

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
    http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

    HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877

    -----

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    -----

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:C85A5448-7D92-4B2D-B662-F338AD157B22@microsoft.com,
    SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wesley - here is somemore info - I took a screen shot of my
    > desktop to illustrate my exact error messages.
    > I have Norton antivirus - fuly updated by the way - my xp firewall is on
    > Hmmm - how do I add an image here?
    > Cannot - so here is the text of the main error message:
    > "MediaAccess.exe - Application Error
    > The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to
    > terminate the application"
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> media.exe seems to be added by a trojan or virus.
    >>
    >> Update your antivirus software and run a system scan!!!!!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:BEC7772F-9CA6-43E9-BB9B-A5E717F5986C@microsoft.com,
    >> SimpleSimon <SimpleSimon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When we swtich users on our home edition the system slows down
    >>> intolerably and the 'new' user cannot function.
    >>> A message about access to media.exe appears and the system needs
    >>> restarting, after which all is back to normal - for one user.
    >>> When the system closes down there is an additional message about
    >>> media.exe not initializing.
    >>> What to do!???
    >>> Thanks

    "applcation failed to initialize click ok to terminate application"

    Whenever I switch a useron Windows Xp , this message pops up after a minute
    or two of loading. I found out about this ISA server which I have no idea
    about and the help and support center here at Microsoft said to verify if the
    ISA server files were there. I went to Program Files and looked for it but I
    couldn't find it. I scanned my computer for viruses but nothing was found.
    Please help! I'm desperate

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "leevanescence21" <leevanescence21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "applcation failed to initialize click ok to terminate application"
    >
    > Whenever I switch a useron Windows Xp , this message pops up after a minute
    > or two of loading. I found out about this ISA server which I have no idea
    > about and the help and support center here at Microsoft said to verify if the
    > ISA server files were there. I went to Program Files and looked for it but I
    > couldn't find it. I scanned my computer for viruses but nothing was found.
    > Please help! I'm desperate

Support Microsoft Error Message Windows XP