DK Jr.-White Screen...What To Check First?

I picked up a real nice Donkey Kong Jr. last week, my first Nintendo
game, but it has the infamous white screen and buzzing sound. When I
searched Google I noticed people recommending the following fixes...

Check voltages from PS
Recap the monitor
Recap the sound board on the monitor
Rebuild the power supply
Get new rainbow power cables

Is there an easier/cheaper way to narrow down this common problem or
are these all inter-related components that must ALL be gone through to
diagnose and fix the white screen?

Thanks for suggestions.
-Rik
5 answers Last reply
More about white screen what check first

    No, the problem is not necessarily with ALL of these things. You can
    do it a step at a time and see if you get anywhere.
    I'd start by checking voltages from the PS and on the boards. Check
    fuses too. If your voltages are way off, then you're looking at some
    Power Supply work.
    I'm no Donkey Kong expert, in fact I've never owned one or worked on
    one, but I'd say the fact that you're missing sound is an indication
    that it's more than just a cap job on the monitor.
    Anyways, I'd jsut take it a step at a time, and I'd begin by testing
    everything. NO sense in needlessly replacing a ton of things right
    now.

    > Check voltages from PS
    > Recap the monitor
    > Recap the sound board on the monitor
    > Rebuild the power supply
    > Get new rainbow power cables

    I guess you have no sound...

    --
    AF

    <shelnrik@gte.net> wrote in message
    > I picked up a real nice Donkey Kong Jr. last week, my first Nintendo
    > game, but it has the infamous white screen and buzzing sound. When I
    > searched Google I noticed people recommending the following fixes...
    >
    > Check voltages from PS
    > Recap the monitor
    > Recap the sound board on the monitor
    > Rebuild the power supply
    > Get new rainbow power cables
    >
    > Is there an easier/cheaper way to narrow down this common problem or
    > are these all inter-related components that must ALL be gone through to
    > diagnose and fix the white screen?
    >

    > Thanks for suggestions.
    > -Rik

    Only if a buzzing noise from the speaker counts as sound.

    Keep in mind that if you DONT have logic operation you WILL have a white
    screen. The Nintendo games of that era were negative outputs to the monitor.
    Since it doesn't sound like your getting game sound I'd say your missing +5
    or have a bad boardset. You may also have bad caps within the power supply
    so you will be able to read +5 from the supply but the AC ripple might be
    high enough to keep the logic board from operating. You'll need a scope or a
    good DMM to check for AC leaking into the DC supply.

    Matt

    <shelnrik@gte.net> wrote in message
    >I picked up a real nice Donkey Kong Jr. last week, my first Nintendo
    > game, but it has the infamous white screen and buzzing sound. When I
    > searched Google I noticed people recommending the following fixes...
    >
    > Check voltages from PS
    > Recap the monitor
    > Recap the sound board on the monitor
    > Rebuild the power supply
    > Get new rainbow power cables
    >
    > Is there an easier/cheaper way to narrow down this common problem or
    > are these all inter-related components that must ALL be gone through to
    > diagnose and fix the white screen?
    >

    > Thanks for suggestions.
    > -Rik

    UPDATE: DK Jr Fixed
    Yep, turnd out to be +5 volts (a lack of it) coming from the PS.
    Bought a switcher kit from Arcadeshop and now it works fine.
    Monitor flickers occasionally though.

    Thanks all for the replies.
    -Rik

Games White Screen Video Games