Automatic Installation of New Hardware

Hi,

Hope I got the right group.

I can't believe I did this again. I bought a new peripheral device - a VP002
mini docking station. Its simply a USB adapter that has PS2/RS-232/Printer
Port. It comes with a CD for installation.

Well... you're _supposed_ to put the disk into the CD drive and _then_ attach
the device. Of course, I did it the other way round, and XP did its automatic
hardware configuration thing using internal drivers, and the problem is:

I can't get the LPT port installed/configured now.

I _know_ there's a standard way of dealing with this problem, but can't
remember what it is. The RS-232 seems to be working OK. The LPT port is just
not there. I didn't get a chance to run the printer port configuration
software, and don't know how to get XP to run the install program that will ask
me where to pick up the printer port drivers that are on the CD. If I (dimly)
recall, you have to delete drivers and reboot. There's no printer port driver
to delete. I installled one manually, and it didn't work. Deleted it, deleted
the RS-232 port driver, rebooted. RS-232 still works, printer port still
doesn't work.

Anyone remember the secret? I'd really like to be able to use my ancient HP-4L
laserjet printer, as it is _still_ faster than the Deskjet 952C. Boy, ink jet
printers are slow...

Dave Head

The secret is to uninstall it under Device manager and under add&remove if
you did load the driver off the CD
.......reboot and start the install precedure all over....the right way this
time
peterk
the problem

On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:42:45 -0600, "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote:

>The secret is to uninstall it under Device manager and under add&remove if
>you did load the driver off the CD
>......reboot and start the install precedure all over....the right way this
>time
>peterk

Thanks - got it. The HP-4L lives again!

I'll never remember - CD first, then connect the device... <G>

Thanks again,

Dave Head