Rogers doesn't extend bid - must have gone through?

Rogers' bid expired Nov. 5 at 5pm. Since Rogers didn't extend its bid,
I guess we can assume that it went through.

They say they will keep the Fido brand. But never said that they would
keep Microcell.... so bye bye Microcell employees and hello "Fido is a
registered trademark of Rogers Wireless".

:(
9 answers Last reply
More about rogers doesn extend through

    > Rogers' bid expired Nov. 5 at 5pm. Since Rogers didn't extend its bid,
    > I guess we can assume that it went through.
    >
    > They say they will keep the Fido brand. But never said that they would
    > keep Microcell.... so bye bye Microcell employees and hello "Fido is a
    > registered trademark of Rogers Wireless".

    One might be suprised with what comes about. Given comments and commitments
    made to the Competition Board, to obtain approval for purchase, things may
    not change all that much. Now.. I could say more, but..

    malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
    > One might be suprised with what comes about. Given comments and commitments
    > made to the Competition Board, to obtain approval for purchase, things may
    > not change all that much. Now.. I could say more, but..

    Look at all the promises Air Canada had made when it convinced the government
    to allow AC to buy CP. At first opportunity, AC broke each and every promise.
    There is very very very little left of the original CP and certaintly nothing visible.

    When Rogers officially gets it hands on Microcell, it will need to rationalise
    all duplication. It will probably be forced to let go of some spectrum in some
    cities.

    It makes no sense for Rogers to keep Microcell operating. Fido's brand will
    likely be used for "pay as you go" branding.

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > It makes no sense for Rogers to keep Microcell operating. Fido's brand will
    > likely be used for "pay as you go" branding.

    I don't care what happens to the "brand". It would be nice
    if Rogers left the current Microcell operations and
    technical staff in place and not cannobolize Microcell
    towers, etc.

    Michael Moore wrote:
    > I don't care what happens to the "brand". It would be nice
    > if Rogers left the current Microcell operations and
    > technical staff in place and not cannobolize Microcell
    > towers, etc.

    Yeah, it would be nice. But it won't happen. One company rarely buys another
    to keep it alive, especially when the company it is acquiring is a direct
    competitor that brings no new services/products/technologies to the buyer.

    On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 23:51:43 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >It makes no sense for Rogers to keep Microcell operating. Fido's brand will
    >likely be used for "pay as you go" branding.

    So you say that you have inside information. Otherwise how do you
    know all that Rogers intends to do or are you in direct communication
    with Ted Rogers?

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:57:55 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >Yeah, it would be nice. But it won't happen. One company rarely buys another
    >to keep it alive, especially when the company it is acquiring is a direct
    >competitor that brings no new services/products/technologies to the buyer.

    Now isn't this silly. Of course companies look for ways to be
    innovative in their market. Just because Fido had the innovative
    ideas doesn't mean that Rogers will automatically axe them.
    Industries must be innovative or their competition will run right over
    them.

    > When Rogers officially gets it hands on Microcell, it will need to
    rationalise
    > all duplication. It will probably be forced to let go of some spectrum in
    some
    > cities.

    So, did you happen to know about the announcement a while ago regarding
    spectrum caps? There are no longer any..

    malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
    > So, did you happen to know about the announcement a while ago regarding
    > spectrum caps? There are no longer any..

    Spectrum caps may be gone, but competition bureau isn't. And the later may
    decide that Rogers needs to give up some spectrum to both Telus and Bell in
    certain areas..

    And in terms of what I know or don't know, there is nothing magical about
    this. In every merger between peers, one of the two has disapeared much much
    faster than had been promised.

    The only time you see some parts survive is when the target company offers
    products that the buying company doesn't have. And that is not the case with Microcell.

    Rogers will probably decide that some of Microcell's assets are better than
    its own and decide to ditch Rogers assets and keep the Microcell ones, but
    they will become Rogers assets.

    > Rogers will probably decide that some of Microcell's assets are better
    than
    > its own and decide to ditch Rogers assets and keep the Microcell ones, but
    > they will become Rogers assets.

    And.. I guess along with it.. you?

Fido Rogers Internet Service Providers