MSI K8T NEO2 and 9700

DonDada

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
I've just bought a new setup consisting of the MSI K8T Neo2 F Mainboard (6702E), AMD64 3200, 2x256MB OCZ DDR400. Now the problem that I am having is with my video card. I have a Radeon 9700 Pro (built by ATi) and it does not seem to work with the board. I have an Enermax 465-Watt PSu with 26 amps on the 12V rail, so thats not a problem. I already went to ATi (not far from my house) and they gave me a brand new 9700. I've talked to MSI a few times to ask them what I can do, and they haven't been able to tell me much. the last thing i did was change the AGP voltage in the BIOS to all the different settings, but the computer remains unstable. I've tried other, less powerful cards, and they work fine. all the software is up to date, and i would just like SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Dam i am a little mithed, all new parts and still unstable, have you updated the motherboard bios it might help.

cleeve

Illustrious
What do you mean by "unstable"? What happens?

Did you run Memtest?

DonDada

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
OK, lets clear this up. What is happening is that the computer is randomly freezing/shutting down. Now it doesnt matter what i am doing, its just random. I've done the burn-in test for about 15 hrs with no problem, but then when i stopped it, i tried to open IE, and the comp crashed, so its not a load problem. the rig always POSTs, thats not a problem. I have not run MEMTEST, but i've tried other ram, with the same problem. I've also tried different vid cards, such as a Radeon 7000, a 9600 pro, and a nVidia mx440, all of which worked flawlessly. Now in the bios, i have the AGP Fast write set to Off, the aperature set to 256mb, and the VLink 8x support is disabled (therefore set to 4x). The primary graphics adapter is set to AGP. The AGP Frequency is set to the default, and so is the voltage. ALSO, when i was talkin with MSI, then sent me an updated bios. the bios file says 3.36, but in the actual bios, it says 3.31. is this anything to worry about? I have not done driver clean, or used the Omega drivers yet, but i will do that now. Please reply if you can help or if you need more information.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
fresh install your operating system with fresh drivers, this would clear a lot of crap out plus driver issues which i think you might have.

if it continues, somthings f##ked big time with the grfx card or just a massive not compatable thing hapening, sell your 9700pro and other old grfx cards on ebay and get a X800pro softmod it and this should solve your problem plus give you a amazing system.

Such excelent advice.

DonDada

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, so i did the driverclean and the memtest (about 8 hours) and still the same. i also did a fresh install and hit up the omega drivers (disabling fast-write in the process) and still the same damn thing. now i dont know what else there is that i can do, but any help with be greatly appreciated. thanks

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
man i am stuck have you tried installing the 9700pro in your mates machines to see if he has the problem.

cleeve

Illustrious
What kind of power supply do you have?

Could be the 9700 PRO needs more juice than it can supply.

And yeah, trying the card in a different machine is a good idea...