2 windows operating systems!!! what do i do?

Ok...here's the problem. A relative gave me an old business computer to use
at home. I got windows XP to put on the computer, and a friend came over and
installed it for me. However, they didn't get rid of windows 98 before they
installed the XP. After I turn on the computer, I have to choose which
operating system I want to use, either 98 or XP. How do I get rid of the 98
now that the other is loaded? I know that I shouldn't have them both on
here...I thought my friend new what they were doing! Anyway, since having XP
installed I bought a CDRW drive and installed it. I also bought a sound card
and installed it. I'm not sure if that's really important, but thought I
would let you know anyway. Also, the 98 has programs and software that I
would like to use on XP. What would be the best way to get those from one to
the other?? What a mess

Aleksandr

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2005

Hello.
Like I’m understood you are want erase windows98 operating system but left
from it some programs to use in windows xp. It is possible but usually older
programs which one programmed specially for current operating systems could
not run correctly in newest Microsoft windows operating systems without
special scripts and dll files.

Before you will do some of these steps do not forget record your documents
and all other data to removable media.

1. Microsoft windows XP, it has program like “Program Compatibility Wizard�,
with that small program you are can run some older programs in to mode which
one you are need. Just use menu options and run. After that you are can run
some older software programs in windows XP. That is a basic way for all
computer users with windows operating systems. For removing your window 98
operating system: Boot in to windows 98, go to add/remove programs and just
find a button to uninstall win98 or find on internet and download a special
small utility for uninstalling windows 98, it is present somewhere, I saw it
before but I forgot where exactly.
2. If you want to use directly already installed software programs from
windows 98 in to windows XP and wont dual boot also want to save hard drive
space, you are need manually delete some files and folders from running in
windows XP on your hard drive. That will be general folder from win98 it name
something like c:\winnt because windows XP has drive letter: \WINDOWS. By
default windows operating system configured to do not show hidden files and
folder you need manually uncheck those properties in windows XP. To do that:
open my computer or windows explorer after find and pres on tools point to
folders options then pres on it. It will be a new window popup by name Folder
Options, find View and pres on it, and then you will see Advanced settings.
Read that entire configuration for your information. There you will find
Hidden files and folders option check on show hidden and etc... After Windows
will show some hidden folders and files.
a) To try to delete dual boot go to My Computer>select
Properties>Advanced>Startup and
Recovery-Settings>Edit. Under "System Startup" "Default
Operating System" make sure that WinXP shows up in the box.
If not you can click on the down arrow and highlight XP
and it will move there.
It must to be looks like that:
[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /noexecute=optin
/fastdetect

After, possibly, you never will see dual boot with windows 98.
Also on internet are present some powerful GUI software tools which one can
move software from one place to another place on your hard drive with all
subfolders and system files which one are needed to run that software. I
don’t know if Microsoft does this software for end users, I’m using now iolo
software. Also in dos mode available to do that but I don’t know yet how to
do that.
Thank you.

"wildcatgirl60" wrote:

> Ok...here's the problem. A relative gave me an old business computer to use
> at home. I got windows XP to put on the computer, and a friend came over and
> installed it for me. However, they didn't get rid of windows 98 before they
> installed the XP. After I turn on the computer, I have to choose which
> operating system I want to use, either 98 or XP. How do I get rid of the 98
> now that the other is loaded? I know that I shouldn't have them both on
> here...I thought my friend new what they were doing! Anyway, since having XP
> installed I bought a CDRW drive and installed it. I also bought a sound card
> and installed it. I'm not sure if that's really important, but thought I
> would let you know anyway. Also, the 98 has programs and software that I
> would like to use on XP. What would be the best way to get those from one to
> the other?? What a mess

If Win98 has programs you want to use then that's a perfect reason to
keep the dual boot. But, if you want to get rid or it
who am I to say different. When in Win98's Windows Explorer go to
Tools>Folder Options>View>click on Show
Hidden Files and Folders and Uncheck Hide protected Operating System
Files.
You should now see Ntldr, Bootsect.dos, NTdetect.com and Boot.ini. You
can delete everything but those four files. When in WinXP rt click on
MyComputer>select Properties>Advanced>Startup and
Recovery-Settings>Edit. Under "System Startup" "Default
Operating System" make sure that WinXP shows up in the box.
If not you can click on the down arrow and highlite XP
and it will move there. Now click on Edit and the Boot.ini file will
open. Where it says Timeout=30 change the value to 2
Save the change you just made and that should do it.
Remember DO NOT format drive C: you need those four files.