Newbie: Wifi External Antenna to Cable Modem?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 12, 2004 10:08:34 AM

Hi all,

I am a complete noob in the wireless world and am in the process of
connecting to my campus wi-fi network. I will be setting up a
Primestar dish as my 802.11b external antenna and I'm following the
http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.... model. I
live a few blocks from the nearest wireless node, so I estimate the
dish will be about 1000m away, w/ a clear line of sight.

I and am wondering if I can connect the coax from the dish into:

1. my old cable modem (DOCSIS 1.0), which is connected to my router
and 3 other computers
2. or an NIC in my old server, which can be connected to my router

Has anyone tried wither of these, or should I expect to buy an Orinoco
wifi card, pigtail connector and go from there?

Thanks in advance.

-SB
April 13, 2004 12:53:07 AM

In article <4a3a4c8b.0404120508.2e5b7fcf@posting.google.com>, SeaBass@operamail.com (Sea Bass) wrote:
>Hi all,
>
> I am a complete noob in the wireless world and am in the process of
>connecting to my campus wi-fi network. I will be setting up a
>Primestar dish as my 802.11b external antenna and I'm following the
>http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro/Airport/Primestar/Primestar.... model. I
>live a few blocks from the nearest wireless node, so I estimate the
>dish will be about 1000m away, w/ a clear line of sight.
>
>I and am wondering if I can connect the coax from the dish into:
>
>1. my old cable modem (DOCSIS 1.0), which is connected to my router
>and 3 other computers
>2. or an NIC in my old server, which can be connected to my router
>
>Has anyone tried wither of these, or should I expect to buy an Orinoco
>wifi card, pigtail connector and go from there?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>-SB

Read the directions on the page YOU provided as a link, it does nto say you
can do this, so logic would say you should not do this. I recommend
following the directions. Which part of the directions do you not
understand?
April 14, 2004 12:51:48 PM

NO! Cable Modems and 802.11b are totally different technologies. DO NOT
CONNECT THEM you will most likely kill your cable modem. You need a 802.11b
client. Either a card or an AP that can act as a client that would plug
into your hub like your cable modem used to. They are not that expensive,
and at the distance you are talking about it should be easy to connect. 1KM
is easy with an external antenna. For the price, I would suggest that you
look on EBAY for one that will do. ANY external antenna should work at that
distance. If you need additional help feel free to email me.

Michael

!