Just wondering did nvidia sort out the Video HW

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
just wondering did nvidia sort out the Video HW rendering problem with the 6800 i know the 6600 are fine but i last heard the 6800gt still had the problem 6 months later.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
They've done nothing except for come out with new cores. The Video HW rendering on the NV40 and NV45 will never work.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
that is really messed up, what can owners do who own these cards which was soppose to have video hw, can they return cards etc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anandtech did a review on a new driver release that said YES hardware features ARE enabled now on 6800 cards, except they mentioned a problem with WMV or something not getting it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Only GF6800s work, not GF6800GTs or Ultras.

The differences with the driver fix are still short of the GF6600s even in other applications.

Here's the latest (a few days old) blurb from the InQ;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20515" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20515</A>

The WDM/MP issue is still funy while there's issues for even ATI cards without workarounds. Instead of waiting for MP10 to be fixed, ATI's going to release a workaround with their next drivers according to Catalyst Maker, Terry Makedon.

M$ has a hand in all this too.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[gay voice]Well that just sucks[/gay voice]

Hey, the 6800GT is still the top dog, rescued nVidia from the FX days, and...maybe the next generation from both companies will prove to be their best efforts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Well i hope so but i still feel sorry for the guys who had been hoping for this this issue to be fixed by now this is really taking the piss.

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
really? so there is a problem with the video processor thingy.....
Could it be the reason why the availability of 6800GT or 6800ULTRA on PCI-E is so low everywhere? I've been looking for them for weeks!
Now if what you've said is true... I wouldn't mind waiting longer, until they can make a bug-free card...

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
may be thats why there could be a shortege in pci-e but they have plenty of 6800 chips but for some reason not enough boards, if i was upgrading my GFX Card i would hold out 2 more months, nvidia havent got any plans to release any new top cards soon (in the next 5months) But ATI have 2 new cards coming out in the nx month, which have amazing performance this should in turn drive some GFX Card prices down I HOPE>.

Actually according to the InQ there are enough board, just no enough chips that can be 'overclocked' to work with the HSI(BR2) bridge. I posted this a while back, and just remembered it after Eden asked about my statements about the availability of the nV-PCIe vs the ATI-AGP, but as the current market situation seems to show, this issue may be bigger than we thought back then. Just thought it was a production hassle, seems to be a production killer.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20321" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20321</A>

Interesting that since the GF6600GT is at heart PCIe and being bridged to AGP, it's not experiencing these same issues, or so it seems based on volume.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I just realised that currently all 6800 Ultra PCI-E (NV45) are using HSI!!
As I'm planning of getting a 6800 Ultra PCI-E I wonder how long I'll have to wait for a native version to come out.
I know Nvidia did say that there should be no slow-downs, but I just don't like the idea of 'bridging'.....
Give me my native 6800 Ultra PCI-E!! :p