GeFroce5900XT + HalfLife2 issues

kRogue

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2005
Hi all,

I got HalfLife2 for Christmas, and well, want it to run well.... my system's OS is windows98SE... now the problem: on the nVidia website there are basicly 3 drivers to choose from for win9x:

56.64: from March 2004, when one plays Halflife2 with it some objects are white washed... but not all... you can still see the texture, but it is white washed... not all objects but some (most notable in the beginning of the game) otherwise game is ok

61.76: released in July 2004, lots of older games will cause my system to blue screen on starting up those older games (for example HalfLife1, DeusEx) after the system blue screens, starintg windows gives a protection error, so then it starts in SafeMode, a that point I have to remove the drivers (ia ComtrolPanel) and then re-install a different driver after reboot.

66.94: the latest from December 2004, HlafLife 2 runs well (correct textures) but almost all other games it appears that the timing refresh sent to the monitor is fried, almost all other games have this display issue (in FullScreen modes) desktop is ok... when I take a look at the monitor controls, it says that the V-rate is same as desktop but the H-rate is different when games are run.... (like Diablo2 for instance)

System Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
ASUS A7N8X-X (NForce 2, poor onboard sound)
Gainward GeForce 5900XT
SBLive! (emu10k1, over 6 years old)
D-LINK 548 Enet card
[sound and enet of nforce disabled becuase the sound was bad and I had troble getting the network to work in Linux]
OS=win98SE
DirectX v9.0c

anyone know of a way to get either 66.94 to work without visual issues or other win9x driver on the net?

Best Regards

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Is HL2 even compatible with Win 98(SE)? Just upgrade the OS, it'll sort out all your problems. I would reccomend Win 2000 Pro and if your clever you can download it for free.

MortiS

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
I was having problems with Diablo 2. It looked like there was something wrong with the vertical hold or something but I installed the latest nvidia drivers(71.84) and now it seems to work fine.