Problem installing second hard drive - help please!!

cassius

Distinguished
May 31, 2005

Help please!! I've been trying to install a second hard drive to my PC
and can't get the thing working. I follow the instructions and connect
to the slave connector on the ribbon cable and the correct power
source. I have set the jumper settings to slave configuration (for 16
heads, but I have also tried other configurations with no luck) so that
my original hard drive continues to act as master. When I turn on the
PC, when it is booting up it tells me that it is searching for IDE
drives. It refuses to detect the master now, then comes up with the
message, "Secondary slave hard drive failure" (the DVD and CD ROM
drives being the two primary drices, master and slave). I'm very stuck
as to what I'm doing wrong and would be grateful of any advice….thanks
very much!

--
CassiusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Make sure that the jumpers on your primary hard drive are set to master, and
try reseating all the cables. Once that is done go into the BIOS and try
forcing a detect on the IDE chain. hope this helps!

"Cassius" wrote:

> Help please!! I've been trying to install a second hard drive to my PC
> and can't get the thing working. I follow the instructions and connect
> to the slave connector on the ribbon cable and the correct power
> source. I have set the jumper settings to slave configuration (for 16
> heads, but I have also tried other configurations with no luck) so that
> my original hard drive continues to act as master. When I turn on the
> PC, when it is booting up it tells me that it is searching for IDE
> drives. It refuses to detect the master now, then comes up with the
> message, "Secondary slave hard drive failure" (the DVD and CD ROM
> drives being the two primary drices, master and slave). I'm very stuck
> as to what I'm doing wrong and would be grateful of any advice….thanks
> very much!
>

> --
> CassiusPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

Have you tried setting both drives to cable select (CS)?