Deal done.. Rogers Wireless Successful in Tender Offers to..

http://ca.us.biz.yahoo.com/cnw/041108/rogerswireless_offers_1.html

Rogers Wireless Successful in Tender Offers to Acquire Microcell
Monday November 8, 9:05 am ET

Combination of Rogers Wireless and Microcell Creates Canada's Largest
Wireless Carrier Serving Approximately 5.5 Million Customers from Coast to
Coast;
Rogers Wireless Becomes Canada's Only Wireless Carrier Operating on the
Global Standard GSM/GPRS Technology
TORONTO and MONTREAL, Nov. 8 /CNW/ - Rogers Wireless Inc. ("RWI" or "Rogers
Wireless"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rogers Wireless Communications
Inc., announced today that the terms and conditions of its tender offers for
the securities of Microcell Telecommunications Inc. ("Microcell") have been
satisfied with the necessary number of securities having been successfully
tendered and regulatory approvals secured to complete the acquisition.
The acquisition of Microcell by Rogers Wireless creates Canada's largest
wireless carrier with the most extensive integrated wireless voice and data
network in the country. With approximately 5.5 million customers and a
nationwide network operating on the world standard GSM/GPRS technology, the
combined company will offer consumers and businesses maximum coverage from
coast to coast, an extensive portfolio of advanced wireless data services
and devices, and the largest international roaming coverage of any wireless
provider in Canada.

As a result of the successful tender offers, Rogers Wireless has taken up
and accepted for payment approximately 181,721 Class A Restricted Voting
shares, 28,389,649 Class B Non-Voting shares, 3,296,652 Warrants 2005 and
5,405,387 Warrants 2008, being all of the securities of Microcell validly
tendered to the offers and not withdrawn prior to the 5:00 p.m. November 5,
2004 expiry time. The tendered securities represent approximately 96% of the
outstanding Class A Restricted Voting shares, 92% of the outstanding Class B
Non-Voting shares, 82% of the outstanding Warrants 2005 and 81% of the
outstanding Warrants 2008.

"The combination of Rogers Wireless and Microcell creates Canada's largest
wireless provider serving approximately 5.5 million customers and positions
us as an even stronger competitor," said Ted Rogers, President and CEO,
Rogers Communications. "Now, more than ever, wireless customers across the
country can count on Rogers' leadership in delivering innovative solutions
and real choice in the Canadian communications market."

"The new Rogers Wireless is an even stronger communications company, well
positioned for continued profitable growth and committed to providing
superior service and value to our customers," said Nadir Mohamed, President
and CEO, Rogers Wireless. "The new Rogers Wireless combines the nationwide
strength of Rogers Wireless' network and brand with Fido's unique and well
established brand and distribution channels. Together, we are now Canada's
only wireless provider operating on the world standard GSM technology
platform - meaning faster access to a wider array of new devices and
services and the ability to travel the world with a single handset."

Microcell and Rogers Wireless subscribers can count on a seamless transition
and significant benefits as the two companies are combined. Microcell
subscribers will enjoy the availability of access to Rogers Wireless'
extensive network resulting in greatly expanded wireless coverage areas,
especially outside of and between major urban centers, and will be able to
continue using their existing wireless handsets and phone numbers. Both
Rogers Wireless and Microcell customers will benefit from the combining of
network assets which will provide for even greater coverage and quality.

As contemplated in the offers and as provided for under the compulsory
acquisition provisions of the Canada Business Corporations Act, Rogers
Wireless now intends to acquire the balance of the Microcell Class A
Restricted Voting shares and Class B Non-Voting shares, each at C$35.00 per
share, and also intends to acquire the balance of the Microcell Warrants
2005 and Warrants 2008, each at C$15.79 and C$15.01, respectively.

Please see the most recent management's discussion and analysis ("MD&A") of
Rogers Wireless and Rogers Communications dated October 27, 2004, for a
discussion of financing arrangements relating to this transaction. These
MD&A's are contained in the companies' third quarter 2004 earnings results
available on the SEDAR website at www.sedar.com and on the U.S. Securities
and Exchange Commission's website at www.sec.gov.

Rogers Wireless anticipates sharing its expectations around integration
costs and synergy opportunities from combining the two companies when it
provides its 2005 overall financial and operating guidance, early in 2005.
The 2004 annual guidance that was issued for Rogers Wireless earlier this
year did not assume the acquisition of Microcell and will not be applicable
to the combined company following closing of the acquisition.

This press release is neither an offer to purchase nor a solicitation of an
offer to sell shares of Microcell. Microcell's shareholders are advised to
read the offering documents and the directors' circular regarding the offers
referred to in this news release. The offering documents are available on
the SEDAR website at www.sedar.com and on the U.S. Securities and Exchange
Commission's website at www.sec.gov.

Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward Looking Information:

This news release includes certain forward looking statements that involve
risks and uncertainties. We caution that actual future events will be
affected by a number of factors, many of which are beyond our control, and
therefore may vary substantially from what we currently foresee. We are
under no obligation to (and expressly disclaim any such obligation to)
update or alter any forward looking statements whether as a result of new
information, future events or otherwise. Important additional information
identifying risks and uncertainties is contained in our most recent Annual
Reports and Annual Information Forms filed with the applicable Canadian
securities regulatory authorities and the U.S. Securities and Exchange
Commission.

About Rogers:

Rogers Wireless operates Canada's largest integrated wireless voice and data
network, providing advanced voice and wireless data solutions to customers
from coast to coast on its GSM/GPRS/EDGE network, the world standard for
wireless communications technology. The combination of Rogers Wireless and
Microcell will have 5.5 million wireless customers, and has offices in
Canadian cities across the country. Rogers Wireless is a wholly-owned
subsidiary of Rogers Wireless Communications Inc. (TSX: RCM - News; NYSE:
RCN - News), which is approximately 89% owned by Rogers Communications Inc.

Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX: RCI - News; NYSE: RG - News) is a
diversified Canadian communications and media company. It is engaged in
cable television, high- speed Internet access and video retailing through
Canada's largest cable television provider, Rogers Cable Inc.; in wireless
voice and data communications services through Canada's leading national
GSM/GPRS cellular provider, Rogers Wireless Communications Inc.; and in
radio, television broadcasting, televised shopping and publishing businesses
through Rogers Media Inc.

Good Man wrote:

> http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml

The bastards. It has already begun. Starting Feb 28th, one has to pay $5.00
per month to access the Rogers network.

So, what happens when you get to an area where there is no Fido coverage but
Rogers coverage ? Will you be blocked unless you pay the $5.00 or will they
charge you herrendous roaming fees ?

So, that is how Rogers will incite customers to move over to Rogers,
especially as it starts dismantling the microcell network. Worse than I
expected. I expected customers would have at least one year of service without
such tactics.

Bell and Telus will have a field day picking Fido customers from the dog pound.

Oh, and prepaid customers don't have access to Rogers roaming, neither do
CityFido customers (not even option).

This does not augur well for CityFido.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:57:44 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

> Good Man wrote:
>>
>> http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml
>
> The bastards. It has already begun. Starting Feb 28th, one has to pay
> $5.00 per month to access the Rogers network.

What do you mean "it has already begun", before the merge you weren't able
to roam AT ALL on Rogers' network, now you can, for a fee. That's BETTER,
isn't it???

> So, what happens when you get to an area where there is no Fido coverage
> but Rogers coverage ? Will you be blocked unless you pay the $5.00 or will
> they charge you herrendous roaming fees ?

Still better then the "option" of nothing.

> So, that is how Rogers will incite customers to move over to Rogers,
> especially as it starts dismantling the microcell network. Worse than I
> expected. I expected customers would have at least one year of service
> without such tactics.

Please, you are SO negative about everything, lets see what happens.

> Bell and Telus will have a field day picking Fido customers from the dog
> pound.

Ya right, if you've ever dealt with Telus or Bell you'd know how silly
that statement is.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:59:38 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:

> Oh, and prepaid customers don't have access to Rogers roaming, neither do
> CityFido customers (not even option).
>
> This does not augur well for CityFido.

Umm, but YOU NEVER DID HAVE THE OPTION. Man JF, no wonder you get trolls
running after you...

repatch wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:57:44 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:
>

>>Good Man wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml
>>
>>The bastards. It has already begun. Starting Feb 28th, one has to pay
>>$5.00 per month to access the Rogers network.
>

> What do you mean "it has already begun", before the merge you weren't able
> to roam AT ALL on Rogers' network, now you can, for a fee. That's BETTER,
> isn't it???
>

>>So, what happens when you get to an area where there is no Fido coverage
>>but Rogers coverage ? Will you be blocked unless you pay the $5.00 or will
>>they charge you herrendous roaming fees ?
>

> Still better then the "option" of nothing.

What do you mean nothing? I could access the
Bell network (with my analog, of course) with *no* monthly
fee, just a $0.20/minute pay as you go.

>>So, that is how Rogers will incite customers to move over to Rogers,
>>especially as it starts dismantling the microcell network. Worse than I
>>expected. I expected customers would have at least one year of service
>>without such tactics.
>

> Please, you are SO negative about everything, lets see what happens.

Form my experience with dealing with Rogers, as with most
*large* organizations, I do not look forward to this.

so you want your same cheap rates but expanded coverage for nothing??? LOL

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Good Man wrote:
> >
> > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml
>
> The bastards. It has already begun. Starting Feb 28th, one has to pay
$5.00
> per month to access the Rogers network.
>
> So, what happens when you get to an area where there is no Fido coverage
but
> Rogers coverage ? Will you be blocked unless you pay the $5.00 or will
they
> charge you herrendous roaming fees ?
>
> So, that is how Rogers will incite customers to move over to Rogers,
> especially as it starts dismantling the microcell network. Worse than I
> expected. I expected customers would have at least one year of service
without
> such tactics.
>
> Bell and Telus will have a field day picking Fido customers from the dog
pound.

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

From
http://shoprogersfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/shoprogersfaq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=vTEaz1qh&p_lva=&p_faqid=3659&p_created=1099886821&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTEmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9NzcmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9NjImcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

When roaming on the Fido network you will see “Microcell” on your
handset, in addition to Rogers Wireless.

There will be no additional charges while roaming on the Fido network.
Any minutes used will be charged according to your existing price plan.

repatch wrote:
> What do you mean "it has already begun", before the merge you weren't able
> to roam AT ALL on Rogers' network, now you can, for a fee. That's BETTER,
> isn't it???

It had been announced that Fido customers would instantly benefit from larger
coverage areas. But now, the news isn't so sweet since we'll have to pay for
it. Meanwhile, Rogers get to roam for free on Fido.

So Rogers is moving more quickly than I had expected to put Fido rates in line
with those of Rogers.

> Still better then the "option" of nothing.

But not better than Microcell not having been taken over by a direct
competitor. You have no loyalty to Fido so to you, it is not a loss. But for
loyal Fido customers, this is a loss.

I am not happy to return to Rogers.

> Oh, and prepaid customers don't have access to Rogers roaming, neither do
> CityFido customers (not even option).
>
> This does not augur well for CityFido.

Let's see.. last week I didn't (as a City Fido) customer have access to
Rogers extended network.. but today, I am suppose to.. for the same price?
GAFL

malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
> Let's see.. last week I didn't (as a City Fido) customer have access to
> Rogers extended network.. but today, I am suppose to.. for the same price?

This week you are a Rogers customer.Fact that Rogers won't let CityFido roam
on its network when all other postpaid packages are allowed to roam makes on
wonder, especially since any CityFido roaming outside the customer's main city
generate revenus.

I guess Rogers just doesn't want CityFido customers to "roam" onto Rogers in
within their home city, at which point, they could use and abuse the Rogers
network without generating any additional revenus.

The press release seemed to go to great lengths to make it look like Fido was
remaining a totally separate unit. My take is that Rogers wants to reduce
churn at Fido by giving Fido customer some confidence that they won't yet have
to go to the more expensive Rogers packages (yet).

> > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml
>
> The bastards. It has already begun. Starting Feb 28th, one has to pay
$5.00
> per month to access the Rogers network.

Let's see.. last week as a Microcell customer have access to Rogers extended
network.. but today, I am suppose to.. for the same price? The fact that
they are differentiating the service offerings is A GOOD THING for FIDO's
employees coming into the Rogers fold.

malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
> network.. but today, I am suppose to.. for the same price? The fact that
> they are differentiating the service offerings is A GOOD THING for FIDO's
> employees coming into the Rogers fold.

Allows Rogers to proceed carefully with integration with no massive layoff
announcement, as they are likely to be gradual over time. Also remember that
Rogers will have a to devise a strategy to convert Fido customers to Rogers
plans eventually. If they are too quick with this, there will be too many
defections to Bell/Telus.

If they are too slow, it will give Bell/Telus more time to go fishing for Fido
customers who are unsure of the future.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:43:39 -0500, Michael Moore wrote:

>>>So, what happens when you get to an area where there is no Fido coverage
>>>but Rogers coverage ? Will you be blocked unless you pay the $5.00 or
>>>will they charge you herrendous roaming fees ?
>>

>> Still better then the "option" of nothing.
>
> What do you mean nothing? I could access the
> Bell network (with my analog, of course) with *no* monthly
> fee, just a $0.20/minute pay as you go.

Notice above the "no Fido coverage but Rogers coverage"?? We aren't
talking about Bell AMPS, we're talking about Rogers. And for me Analog
isn't an option anyways.

>>>So, that is how Rogers will incite customers to move over to Rogers,
>>>especially as it starts dismantling the microcell network. Worse than I
>>>expected. I expected customers would have at least one year of service
>>>without such tactics.
>>

>> Please, you are SO negative about everything, lets see what happens.
>
> Form my experience with dealing with Rogers, as with most *large*
> organizations, I do not look forward to this.

Well if you were treated by Fido like I was you may have a different
opinion, so far Rogers has yet to do ONE thing to piss me off, I'm not
saying they will never, or that they haven't ticked off others, only that
in my experience so far they have been great. TTYL

I read their FAQ on this page and I found one of the questions quite
funny. One of the questions said something to the effect of "I left
Rogers to join Fido. Now, I want to leave Fido. What are my options?"
The answer to this question was that they hope that the customer won't
leave Fido because Fido will remain Fido. However, if the customer
wants to leave, any obligations that he/she had before Rogers took
over will still be in effect (i.e. if you signed a 2 year deal with
Fido, you are stuck in the 2 year deal).

/Jim

Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959B78902A76Esonicyouth@216.196.97.132>...
> http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml

Interesting wording at:
> http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

##
Monthly package subscribers now have the option to use the combined GSM/GPRS
digital wireless network coverage of both Fido and Rogers Wireless. Even
better, monthly package subscribers can now use their minutes within the
enhanced coverage area for three months at no additional charge. You will
then have the option to add the enhanced coverage feature to your monthly
package, for an additional $5 per month.
##

Here is the french equivalent (change the "en" to "fr" in the above URL)

##
Les abonnés à un forfait mensuel peuvent maintenant profiter de la couverture
combinée du réseau sans fil numérique GSM/GPRS, autant de Fido que de Rogers
Sans-fil. Encore mieux, les abonnés à un forfait mensuel peuvent maintenant
utiliser leurs minutes à l'intérieur de la zone de couverture élargie sans
frais additionnels, pendant trois mois. Vous aurez ensuite la possibilité
d'ajouter l'option de couverture élargie à votre forfait mensuel pour 5 $ par mois.
##

Often, when one language has some ambiguity, reading the other language can
yield some additional clues to help get better precision.

The french version states that effective immediatly, we can use the expanded
coverage of both Fido/Rogers. The english one says we have the option to do
so. (as opposed to stating that it is already on).

Both french and english state that for 3 months, monthly subscribers can draw
on their package minutes when using Rogers's network.

Both french and english state that after the 3 months, you have the $5.00
option to get access to the expanded network.

I see an interesting separation of access to expanded network and ability to
draw on your package minutes when roaming on Rogers.

The door remains open for that $5.00 option to result in extra billing for
time used on Rogers' network as opposed to using your package minutes.

Perhaps by February, CityFido customers who pay the $5.00 will have access to
the Rogers network, but all usage on Rogers will be considered to be
out-of-city and hence billed (as is the case right now). (hence the careful
wording not to garantee that the $5.00 option will include Rogers usage on
your package minutes).