ATI Drivers won't install CCC

saintjimmy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello everyone, I've been having a problem when installing any ATI Catalyst drivers the past two days. Normally, I remove the old drivers via the Programs & Features in the Control Panel, but this time I decided to try just a straight install of 10.6 on top of the older 10.4 drivers. That's when it all started. When I went to select the features to be installed in the new 10.6 drivers, there was the normal options, minus the Catalyst Control Center. So I tried installing anyway, and I got the display driver installed along with everything but CCC.

So I thought maybe it was just a fluke and restarted in Safe Mode. I used Driver Sweeper 2.1 to delete everything ATI in the system, restarted, and tried redownloading/reinstalling from amd.com again, but to no avail. I successfully removed the drivers the same way the second time, and this time just shut the computer down for the night thinking I would try again in the morning (yesterday morning). The weirdest thing was that there was no error messages at all during any of the install attempts. It simply acted like nothing was ever wrong.

Many tries later with the Device Manager has brought me a working 10.6 display driver, but still no CCC, which leaves me without AA/AF, fan control, and temp monitoring. I've seen only one other thread with a similar issue, and all the suggestions didn't work for me, short of reformatting (which I'd rather not do). And yes, I've tried just downloading the display driver and just downloading CCC and installing one before the other and vice-versa, and I've made sure to get the right driver set, but still nothing. Any questions/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Kyle

Almost forgot specs...
AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.5 GHz OC'd
8 GB DDR2 800
Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
ATI/Diamond Radeon HD 4850 512 MB, not overclocked, I've had it for about 18 months
Corsair TX650W power supply (if that makes a difference)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

saintjimmy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Thanks, but it turned out to be a rootkit (thanks, Webroot Antivirus). All cured now. The simplest solution of a virus scan turned out to fix it. Now I'm just waiting for my new 5850 to arrive!

Jay76

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961894

fixed it for me

I get this error message when I attempt to install that vc++ driver

Error Creating Process
<C:\Users\(7)^AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\VCREDI~2.EXE
>. Reason: The system cannot find the file specified.