Not All GC The Same

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Graphic Cards of the same model eg. GF 5200 128mb, have different speed memory etc.

Q: What are the best specs for the above model GC? Also, any particular brand?

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why are you asking? Do you plan on buying one? Do you have to? I think I can find you a GeForce4 MX440 for less money!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

As Crashman eludes to, why an FX5200? Geez!

Q: What are the best specs for the above model GC?
That would be something along the lines of..

Price: <b>Free</b> with any purchase of a Happy Meal.

That's the only 'spec' to make it worthwhile even going through the hassle of installing it. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Basically what the other guys are trying to say is Please do not buy a FX5200 actually pleasae do not buy any FX unless its a FX5900 or above not a FX5900XT, or go for a 9700pro or above depending on what you want to do.

cleeve

Illustrious
The word "best" cannot be applied to a Geforce 5200 in any way.

If you're looking for a good ubercheap card, get a Radeon 9550 128-bit.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
The reason to buy 5200 is budget$$$, and DX9.

The MX440 is not DX9 - if I remember correctly, it is DX8.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
In refering to 'BEST' I mean fastest memory. Different brands have diff mem timings-speed.

I know it is a low spec card but budget is limited at present and if I'am going to buy one, it is a good idea to buy the fastest even if the difference is small.

I'll check out the Radeon 9550 128-bit.

Thanks,

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MX440 is a DX7 card, it still plays DX9 games but with some of the eyecandy missing.

DX9 hurts the FX5200 so badly, I believe the features are disabled by default with most DX9 applications. And what good is DX9 if you can't use it?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
That would be something along the lines of..

Price: Free with any purchase of a Happy Meal.

Oh my, that made me laugh so hard I started coughing for 20 seconds. And my cold has been gone for a week (so i thought).

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

pauldh

Illustrious

And the reason why Crash and others so far have said to avoid it is that it is a DX9 card in theory, that lacks the power to to render the DX9 codepath at acceptable gaming framerates.

It's like a Yugo. Sure it's a car, but do you want to go buy one?

Honestly, take Half Life 2. Fire up that that game and start playing it in all it's DX9 glory. Oh wait, your FX5200 defaults to the DX8 codepath because nomatter how much Valve tried, the entire FX line of cards can't render acceptable framerates using th standard codepath; ie flawed DX9 design. No problem, you can force HL2 to run in DX9. So you do, and low and behold, look at all the beautiful reflections in the water. But there is one problem. At exactly 1.637 fps average, it seems hardly playable. I truely doubt that an FX 5200 owner forcing DX9 in HL2 could even play enough of that game to come to any water and see the beautiful reflections.

OK, all joking aside, we are all trying to help you avoid a mistake. Get a faster DX8 card like a GF4ti, or if you want a DX 9 card get at least a Radeon 9550 128-bit($65), 9600 ($80), or 9600 pro($105+)

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

Hey, always glad to bring joy to others.

The line in this thread that made me laugh was the following;

<i>"The reason to buy 5200 is budget$$$, and DX9."</i>

As an FXGO5200 owner it just gives me a little tickle, thankfully I have full command of my respiratory system again to give that line the proper Guffaw it deserves. :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious

Oh my god. If you want to play a DirectX 9 game, then the 5200 certainly won't work. Sure, it'll <i>play</i> it... but at 5 frames per second.

If you want a cheap DirectX 9 card, the only one worth buying is the 128-bit Radeon 9550. There's really no other choice on the market.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, that's a Hall of Shame quote there. Problem is, many folks have felt that way. :eek:

Well, you somehow cheaped out on us with that FXgo. But I am sure that you knew what you were getting when you bought it. I too bought a FX5200 128-bit 128MB card. But I knew it was a slug. It was a cheap newegg refurb back in the days when they had steals on refurbs (unlike now), and I just couldn't pass up a cheap chance to torture that FX5200 on some benchies. Even now, my prior post has me wondering what scores I'd get forcing DX9 and running Tom's HL2 timedemos. I know better than to actually try and play it with fraps though. But if an FX 5900XT got reduced to single digit framerates, My 1.xxx guess above might be too high for the FX5200. :smile: Well, maybe not at 8x6 low. :tongue:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 01/11/05 07:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Well the FXGO5200 was simply a choice of, I'm not paying $800 extra to simply get an R9600(non-pro) 64mb for my laptop, when any real gaming on it will chew through battery within 30mins anyways.

I decided I didn't need an XPS (or 8500) system for what I wanted (mainly surf from the couch, bed, watch DVDs and light gaming on the plane/airports and have something to take to work or the girlfriend's to just have something XP worthy.

If I had it to do over again I would've gone with a sub notebook computer because really I'm mainly doing the DVD watching/burning, wordproccesing/surfing stuff more than anything. And I'm finding that While the 2.8ghz HT processor is nice to move up the folding list, it's overkill for everything I do and results in increased heat and decreased battery life.

Oh well shoulda known not to get a DELL, unfortunately all the cool companies in MaximumPC and CPU that sell nicely outfitted laptops don't ship to Canada.

I think my next laptop will be a sub note with a DX9 IGP (which would likely smoke this FX5200GO :lol: ), maybe another tablet (have an old Fujitsu 1200) if they ever come down to a reasonable price level.

pauldh

Illustrious
added the quote above.

anyway, $800 extra? Yikes, that makes sense.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
OK, I'am convinced.

The GF 5200 is out.

Thank's everyone,