undoing XP partial installation

June 1, 2005 11:55:03 AM

My neighbor began installing XP, then decided not to. He wants to keep 98 on
the machine.
Now, when booting, he gets the question of which OS to boot to. I need to
completely rid the machine of everything from the XP installation.
The XP installation does not show up in the 'Add or Remove Programs' list,
so that isn't an option.
If I just delete the files, there is a boot error because it cannot find the
files for the boot option screen.
We tried re-installing 98SE, per MS's recommended procedure, but it never
asked if I wanted to completely remove the XP OS (which is what the procedure
says it will do).
I am hoping there is a work-around so as not to have to reformat the HDD. I
guess if there is way to re-do the boot menu so it soesn't seek the XP, and
delete the files, I should be OK.

Any help?
June 1, 2005 3:35:44 PM

Using a Win 98 created boot diskette and running fdisk /mbr and sys c: would
probably resolve it by replacing the XP created boot sector. (assuming
there is no 3rd party disk manager which would preclude the fdisk /mbr
command).
--

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My neighbor began installing XP, then decided not to. He wants to keep 98
> on
> the machine.
> Now, when booting, he gets the question of which OS to boot to. I need to
> completely rid the machine of everything from the XP installation.
> The XP installation does not show up in the 'Add or Remove Programs' list,
> so that isn't an option.
> If I just delete the files, there is a boot error because it cannot find
> the
> files for the boot option screen.
> We tried re-installing 98SE, per MS's recommended procedure, but it never
> asked if I wanted to completely remove the XP OS (which is what the
> procedure
> says it will do).
> I am hoping there is a work-around so as not to have to reformat the HDD.
> guess if there is way to re-do the boot menu so it soesn't seek the XP,
> and
> delete the files, I should be OK.
>
> Any help?
June 1, 2005 3:35:45 PM

Thanks,

I will try this.

"GTS" wrote:

> Using a Win 98 created boot diskette and running fdisk /mbr and sys c: would
> probably resolve it by replacing the XP created boot sector. (assuming
> there is no 3rd party disk manager which would preclude the fdisk /mbr
> command).
> --
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My neighbor began installing XP, then decided not to. He wants to keep 98
> > on
> > the machine.
> > Now, when booting, he gets the question of which OS to boot to. I need to
> > completely rid the machine of everything from the XP installation.
> > The XP installation does not show up in the 'Add or Remove Programs' list,
> > so that isn't an option.
> > If I just delete the files, there is a boot error because it cannot find
> > the
> > files for the boot option screen.
> > We tried re-installing 98SE, per MS's recommended procedure, but it never
> > asked if I wanted to completely remove the XP OS (which is what the
> > procedure
> > says it will do).
> > I am hoping there is a work-around so as not to have to reformat the HDD.
> > guess if there is way to re-do the boot menu so it soesn't seek the XP,
> > and
> > delete the files, I should be OK.
> >
> > Any help?

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:56:09 AM

Remove Windows 2000/XP/2003 but Keep Windows 98:
http://www.petri.co.il/remove_windows_2000_xp_2003.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User