Slow start up

When I start up it takes ages to activate, the intel logo shows then nothing
for minutes, then Microsoft page shows then nothing for ages, eventually the
welcome pages shows, then minutes again befor I am in. HELP
--
Jue

How about a little more info there buddy!
you know the STUFF.........cpu type,amount of ram,HD size..how much
used/empty
PCI/USB devices on the system
"ages" is a relative term.especially in Computer time
........ for someone young that could be
30seconds
for someone impatient that could
be 2 seconds
for someone older and wiser that
could be 5minutes
peterk

the problem
"Jue" <Jue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start up it takes ages to activate, the intel logo shows then
> nothing
> for minutes, then Microsoft page shows then nothing for ages, eventually
> the
> welcome pages shows, then minutes again befor I am in. HELP
> --
> Jue

johng

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I've been having a similar problem. CPU 933mhz, 500mb ram, intel d815eeau2
motherboard, XPhome, printer, 1 cdr, 1 cdrwdvd, mic, 3 1/2 floppy, 56k
dialup with 26.4 connection speed.

Startup is okay, but something keeps going after the desktop loads that
prevents me from going any further until it completes doing whatever it is
it's doing.

Shutdown takes several minutes to get past "saving your settings", and
sometimes several more minutes to actually shutdown or restart.

System performance slows down if I have more than one window open. Have run
my spyware scan, virus scan, deleted history, cache and cookies. Seems the
system just gets slower everyday.

"Jue" <Jue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I start up it takes ages to activate, the intel logo shows then
> nothing
> for minutes, then Microsoft page shows then nothing for ages, eventually
> the
> welcome pages shows, then minutes again befor I am in. HELP
> --
> Jue

defrag??
Checked to see whats starting?? ....start./run......type in msconfig and
have a good hard look at that list
after comp start hit control/alt/delete to bring up the task manager and see
whats running...under processes and applications.
again take a good hard look at that list and track down what you do not
need.
better still copy and paste both onto this news group and someone will
definitly let you know what is useless on the list
peterk

the problem
"JohnG" <mlmpros@jwgmg.com> wrote in message
> I've been having a similar problem. CPU 933mhz, 500mb ram, intel d815eeau2
> motherboard, XPhome, printer, 1 cdr, 1 cdrwdvd, mic, 3 1/2 floppy, 56k
> dialup with 26.4 connection speed.
>
> Startup is okay, but something keeps going after the desktop loads that
> prevents me from going any further until it completes doing whatever it is
> it's doing.
>
> Shutdown takes several minutes to get past "saving your settings", and
> sometimes several more minutes to actually shutdown or restart.
>
> System performance slows down if I have more than one window open. Have
> run my spyware scan, virus scan, deleted history, cache and cookies. Seems
> the system just gets slower everyday.
>

> "Jue" <Jue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I start up it takes ages to activate, the intel logo shows then
>> nothing
>> for minutes, then Microsoft page shows then nothing for ages, eventually
>> the
>> welcome pages shows, then minutes again befor I am in. HELP
>> --
>> Jue

johng

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Defrag completed. Copy/paste is not available for either of the items you
described.

msconfig data, under Startup:
wfxsnt40
SNDMon
jusched
QDCSFS
imontray
ccRegVfy
ccApp
3cpipe-3c1807pd
APC UPS Status
CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep
Internet Answering Machine

Using ctrl/alt/del after comp start indicates only one item running:
WinFax MOS - U.S. Robotics V.92 Fax Win Int