4yr old neighbors PC, what Vid Card to upgrade to?

Drew888

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's a 4 or 5 yr old Gateway system and my neighbors video card died.
He is a good guy so I'd like to help him out.
Isn't there an AGP voltage difference between the new and old....so what should I be looking for when shopping for a card for his older PC?
I was thinking ATI 9200se from NewEgg for about $40 and change.

Thanks!

Drew

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's a guy selling a 9100 in the classifieds forum for $30. It's around 3x as good as the 9200SE.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, BTW, any cards with dual notches should work, those notches are for AGP1.0 and AGP2.0 compatability, so having both notches means the card accepts both standards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
Some good gaming cards to look for used or discounted would be a Radeon 9000 PRO, Radeon 9100, Radeon 8500 or 8500LE, any Geforce3, or Geforce4 Ti4200.