Replacing HDD with SSD on Aspire 5742 - possible issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace the hard drive on my ol man's Acer Aspire 5742 with a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD. I know that the SSD I have in mind is 2.5" but as I can not find any info on how big the existing HDD drive actually is I just wanted to check that everything will fit in nicely. I assume it will be fine - solid state drives were originally designed for laptops anyway, right? So 2.5" drives should be standard?

If anyone may have had experience in doing what I have described above could you let me know if it will work and also are there any other issues I should be aware of before ordering the SSD?

BTW: I chose the Crucial M4 because I have one in my desktop and it's been very reliable so far but if you dis-agree with my choice then feel free to suggest another brand or model of around the same capacity.

Thanks for any assistance!

Solution
2.5" is the standard in laptops, and form wise, you will have no problems...

The only other thing is to make sure you use Windows 7 for TRIM support, and never defrag an SSD.

Makes sure you back up or get an external enclosure for your old laptop HDD so you have access to your files...

scottiemedic

Distinguished
2.5" is the standard in laptops, and form wise, you will have no problems...

The only other thing is to make sure you use Windows 7 for TRIM support, and never defrag an SSD.

Makes sure you back up or get an external enclosure for your old laptop HDD so you have access to your files...

Solution

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Cool. Will definitely be using Win 7 for TRIM.

I assume that it's the same thing as with a desktop PC that you must enable AHCI mode in BIOS before actually installing W7 from the CD?

Thanks Scottie.

Status
Not open for further replies.