Random restarting

Recently my computer restarts on its own at least once every two days. I
haven't made any major changes to it, and there doesn't seem to be any
particular thing that sets it off. After restart, if I look in the event
viewer, I get this error message:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e
(0xc000001d, 0xebb7845e, 0xeb28e568, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052905-01.dmp.

Also this one started today:

Error code 10000050, parameter1 a6b802b3, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
bf815d50, parameter4 00000000.

and

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 ebb7845e, parameter3
eb28e568, parameter4 00000000.

Also on the restart this is logged:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
atapi
PCIIde

I am running Windows XP SP2, with 1 Gb of dual channel RAM, ABIT NF7-S2
motherboard, AMD Sempron 3000+ proccesor, and a 160 Gb SATA Hard drive.

I hope you can help me it's driving me insane.
7 answers Last reply
More about random restarting

    Jkjkrj <Jkjkrj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Recently my computer restarts on its own at least once every two days. I
    >haven't made any major changes to it, and there doesn't seem to be any
    >particular thing that sets it off. After restart, if I look in the event
    >viewer, I get this error message:
    >
    >The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e
    >(0xc000001d, 0xebb7845e, 0xeb28e568, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    >C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052905-01.dmp.

    KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED - usually a hardware or driver
    related issue. What hardware changes or driver updates have you made
    recently, especially around the time this problem started?

    >Also this one started today:
    >
    >Error code 10000050, parameter1 a6b802b3, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
    >bf815d50, parameter4 00000000.

    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - very often caused by defective RAM
    memory or incompatible software.

    >and
    >
    >Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 ebb7845e, parameter3
    >eb28e568, parameter4 00000000.

    This is the same as your first one listed above.

    >Also on the restart this is logged:
    >

    >The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    >atapi
    >PCIIde

    A driver file for your IDE controller failed to load properly. If
    your hard drive controller (including the controller for the SATA hard
    drive) is integrated into the motherboard then go to the motherboard
    manufacturer's web site and get the latest Windows XP drivers for your
    specific motherboard model.

    If your SATA (or IDE) controller is on a PCI bus accessory card then
    go to the card manufacturer's web site and get the latest Windows XP
    drivers for that specific card model.

    >I am running Windows XP SP2, with 1 Gb of dual channel RAM, ABIT NF7-S2
    >motherboard, AMD Sempron 3000+ proccesor, and a 160 Gb SATA Hard drive.
    >
    >I hope you can help me it's driving me insane.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for the response Ron. The first thing that I thought of was a driver
    issue, and as far as I can remember I didn't update anything. I also haven't
    added any hardware. Also I did run a couple memory tests from different
    manufactures including Microsoft. I ran 3 passes on each program and they all
    said that the memory is fine. I am also pretty sure that I have the newest
    drivers from the MB manufacturer (the SATA controller is on the board). This
    is why it's driving my insane, because as far as I can tell I have already
    done everything. If the problems that you listed are etched in stone then I
    guess I'll have to go back and recheck everything (which I have done 2 or 3
    times), but if that's what I have to do then I will do it. Any other
    possibilities??????

    Thanks again, Jamie

    You can also change the setting to prevent Windows from restarting.

    Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, and under the Startup
    and Recovery section click Settings then uncheck "Automatically Restart.

    "Jkjkrj" <Jkjkrj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the response Ron. The first thing that I thought of was a
    > driver
    > issue, and as far as I can remember I didn't update anything. I also
    > haven't
    > added any hardware. Also I did run a couple memory tests from different
    > manufactures including Microsoft. I ran 3 passes on each program and they
    > all
    > said that the memory is fine. I am also pretty sure that I have the newest
    > drivers from the MB manufacturer (the SATA controller is on the board).
    > This
    > is why it's driving my insane, because as far as I can tell I have already
    > done everything. If the problems that you listed are etched in stone then
    > guess I'll have to go back and recheck everything (which I have done 2 or
    > 3
    > times), but if that's what I have to do then I will do it. Any other
    > possibilities??????
    >
    > Thanks again, Jamie

    Jkjkrj <Jkjkrj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the response Ron. The first thing that I thought of was a driver
    >issue, and as far as I can remember I didn't update anything. I also haven't
    >added any hardware. Also I did run a couple memory tests from different
    >manufactures including Microsoft. I ran 3 passes on each program and they all
    >said that the memory is fine. I am also pretty sure that I have the newest
    >drivers from the MB manufacturer (the SATA controller is on the board). This
    >is why it's driving my insane, because as far as I can tell I have already
    >done everything. If the problems that you listed are etched in stone then I
    >guess I'll have to go back and recheck everything (which I have done 2 or 3
    >times), but if that's what I have to do then I will do it. Any other
    >possibilities??????
    >
    >Thanks again, Jamie

    There are a number of possible causes for each of these errors. To
    see some more specific information go to MVP Jim Eshelman's STOP
    errors web page at http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on
    the links for your specific errors:

    50: Page Fault... (left side column)
    8e: Kernel Mode Except... (left side column)

    and follow the various links regarding these errors.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In addition to Ron's advice, I suggest looking at possible overheating. I
    have specifically seen 0x1000008e and 10000050 errors caused by same. Check
    that fans are running normally and not dust clogged. Check temperature in
    BIOS if supported or by other means such as motherboard monitor.
    --

    > Recently my computer restarts on its own at least once every two days. I
    > haven't made any major changes to it, and there doesn't seem to be any
    > particular thing that sets it off. After restart, if I look in the event
    > viewer, I get this error message:
    >
    > The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e
    > (0xc000001d, 0xebb7845e, 0xeb28e568, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini052905-01.dmp.
    >
    > Also this one started today:
    >
    > Error code 10000050, parameter1 a6b802b3, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
    > bf815d50, parameter4 00000000.
    >
    > and
    >
    > Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 ebb7845e, parameter3
    > eb28e568, parameter4 00000000.
    >
    > Also on the restart this is logged:
    >

    > The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    > atapi
    > PCIIde
    >
    > I am running Windows XP SP2, with 1 Gb of dual channel RAM, ABIT NF7-S2
    > motherboard, AMD Sempron 3000+ proccesor, and a 160 Gb SATA Hard drive.
    >
    > I hope you can help me it's driving me insane.

    overheating is likely. use ABITEQ to monitor the temps and fans.

    Do you have the latest nForce drivers installed? And you're not running
    raid it appears. What about the bios version, is it latest? check ABIT's
    site.

    ----

    I would ask for help over in the abit group:

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit

    A wise bunch of very helpful folks reside there. the nf7 is popular, they
    will be people there with insight.

    a post-mortum analyzer might help, look for "Alexander SPK" on google;
    it's $40, but might be worth it to regain sanity!

    Thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to try a couple different things and
    I'll let you know how I make out.

    "frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

    > overheating is likely. use ABITEQ to monitor the temps and fans.
    >
    > Do you have the latest nForce drivers installed? And you're not running
    > raid it appears. What about the bios version, is it latest? check ABIT's
    > site.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > I would ask for help over in the abit group:
    >
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit
    >
    > A wise bunch of very helpful folks reside there. the nf7 is popular, they
    > will be people there with insight.
    >
    > a post-mortum analyzer might help, look for "Alexander SPK" on google;
    > it's $40, but might be worth it to regain sanity!

Computers Windows XP