Which 6600gt?

fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
I have a couple options of agp versions of the 6600gt to get. I am also looking at the 6800 non gt. the 6600gts run around 300$ canadian and 6800 around 400$
these are the models i have to choose from.

Asus V9999GT Geforce 6800GT 128MB w/ DVI, TV-Out
eVGA e-Geforce 6600 GT 128MB GDDR3 w/ DVI, HDTV-Out
eVGA e-Geforce 6800 128MB w/ DVI, TV-Out
Gigabyte Geforce 6800 128MB w/ TV-Out, DVI, Heatpipe Cooler
Gainward GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP8x DDR3 With DVI, VIVO -

i dont know if they make 6600's with a 256 bit interface. oh yeah and can anyone tell me what vivo is?

Nate_Dog

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Hi.. I have been doing quite a bit of research myself on this topic for a new a64 3500. First I chose the new asus A8N-SLI board, so I was choosing PCIe cards.

It would appear through all the posts that the question is whether or not I would want to upgrade later on to a second card.

You can only SLI the GT's.

I chose the MSI 6600 GT. I was warned against any 6800 (non GT) cards at 128 meg. They use DDR1 memory which is much slower than DDR3.

From what I understand, the 6800 is about 450 can, and the 6800GT is about 550. The 550 is the better buy. That being said, I could not afford the 6800GT, as much as I desperatly wanted one (and they were all out of stock and on back order). So I elected to go with the 6600GT for 300 and I plan on SLI'ing them in the near future. Current benchmarks show 2 6600 GT SLI as better performance than one 6800GT.

All the reviews on the 6600GT have been positive with each company so I dont think it matters which one you go with. MSI comes with quite a software package and games.

Lots of info thrown at you, hope it helps. Remember, dont go with a 6800 128meg unless your sure it goes with DDR3 memory.

chris123

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Here is a letter to Tom's hardware:

I'm not sure if you guys are aware of what's going on with the new geforce 6600GT's but they seem to have some serious problems with lots of users. It seems through my testing that there seems to be either a hardware or driver bug preventing Direct3D applications from displaying properly and/or crashing 5-10 minutes after running. The official reference drivers are producing heavy duty artifacts in Direct3D games such as Half life 2, UT2004, etc.(Use 67.05 betas especially if you have an SIS chipset, still crashes though.) However, strangely, OpenGL games and applications run flawlessly for hours and hours without nary a crash on the 10+ official and beta drivers I've tried. This problem is cross platform/manufacturer. ALL companies are experiencing problems with their cards. Just type in "geforce 6600GT AGP problems" in google and you'll see what I mean. There is no fix as of yet but if I can find one I'll let you know. I'm wondering if it's a hardware flaw in some of the GPU's coming from nvidia as it seems to affect all Geforce 6600GT's, not one specific manufacturer and only in direct 3d games. Games like UT2004 which can switch from direct3D to OpenGL crash horribly with Direct3d but when switched to the OpenGL API run flawlessly. Let's hope there is no recall like the Intel math co-processor problem years ago.

System specs:

Asrock ge-m2 mothereboard (SIS chipset)
Pentium 2.4 prescott core CPU
512meg DDR400 infineon Ram
Was a Asus geforce 5700 non-ultra (worked flawlessly with heavy OC'ing)
Now a MSI geforce 6600GT 128 meg DDR-3 nx6600GT VTD128
Western digital 8meg cache drive.
400w power supply

I'm going to take my system in to work so I have the parts to fool around with and see if it's specific to motherboard/power supply, etc. Like I said OpenGL apps like Doom3 run flawlessly. Direct3d seems to be broken. This is just a theory but what it seems to be doing is when you inititally start a Direct3D game it will run ok for a while then the textures and what not will start to corrupt, almost as if it's being heavily overclocked. Then eventually it crashes. I wonder if it's a BIOS flaw that is drawing too much power to the GPU during Direct3d apps and overheating the card. Unfortunatley, the card is so new there is no BIOS revision for any of the cards out there on the market so I can't say one way or another untill I take a look at the heat settings tomorrow. I highly suggest you hold off on this guy untill it is solved it is a fairly wide spread problem. The PCIe version seems to be a little more stable in this regard so maybe the PCIe-AGP bridge chip is causing the problems. Buyer beware. I'm sure it's going to be fixed as it seems ALOT of people are returning these cards and going with something else. Nvidia doesn't want to lose money. Don't buy it untill this issue is solved.

pauldh

Illustrious
How many times are you going to post this? I've seen 3 already. You think that you have discovered a GF6xxx flaw, while is smells "user error" to us.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>