Are The Towers Really Switched????

Last response: in Network Providers
November 9, 2004 1:44:00 PM

Surely all the tech stuff has not been done and will take a long time???

But with the "three months rogers roaming" it seems like they have been
switched/adjusted to allow for interoperability between GSM providers? I'd
be shocked if it happened this quickly/easily...

Can someone with a FIDO phone let us know if you can jump on to the Rogers
network as of today, Nov 9???

More about : towers switched

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 1:57:53 PM

Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in

> Can someone with a FIDO phone let us know if you can jump on to the
> Rogers network as of today, Nov 9???

Ha, yep it's officially switched. I can jump from Rogers <--> Fido.

Now, if only they can solve the dropped calls while switching networks mid-
conversation!
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:12:20 PM

Good Man wrote:
> But with the "three months rogers roaming" it seems like they have been
> switched/adjusted to allow for interoperability between GSM providers? I'd
> be shocked if it happened this quickly/easily...

When a fido phone wants to talk to a rogers tower, there are 2 things that happen:

Rogers decides if it wants to talk to a fido phone,. in the past it was a big
"NO", and once it says yes, it then sends a request to Fido for authorisation
for that phone number to roam onto Rogers.

These systems have been in place for a long time since this is the mechanism
used to allow americans/europeans to roam onto rogers, fido and vice versa etc.

So, allowing the roaming is really a matter of Rogers adding Microcell's
network ID in its roaming tables, and then getting Microcell to update
customer profiles to allow roaming onto Rogers' network. (From a management
point of view, there would be inter subsidiary billing issues).

Cosnider that Rogers already had some roaming agreements with AT&T in the past
where for some packages, roaming on AT&T was considered to be "local" with no
roaming charges. So Rogers already has the billing sofwtware to handle its
customers roaming for free onto Fido.
November 9, 2004 3:13:21 PM

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
Xns959C7750B12sonicyouth@216.196.97.132...
> Surely all the tech stuff has not been done and will take a long time???
>
> But with the "three months rogers roaming" it seems like they have been
> switched/adjusted to allow for interoperability between GSM providers?
I'd
> be shocked if it happened this quickly/easily...
>
> Can someone with a FIDO phone let us know if you can jump on to the Rogers
> network as of today, Nov 9???

I can..and it works.

Sony Ericsson T237 dual band.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:37:47 PM

In article <Xns959C79AB5B55Csonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

>Ha, yep it's officially switched. I can jump from Rogers <--> Fido.
>
>Now, if only they can solve the dropped calls while switching networks mid-
>conversation!

Can you avoid that problem by manually selecting Rogers?
David Gaudine, Systems Analyst, School of Graduate Studies
Concordia University, Montreal davidg@alcor.concordia.ca
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:37:48 PM

davidg@alcor.concordia.ca (David Gaudine) wrote in

> In article <Xns959C79AB5B55Csonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
> Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
>>
>>Ha, yep it's officially switched. I can jump from Rogers <--> Fido.
>>
>>Now, if only they can solve the dropped calls while switching networks
>>mid- conversation!
>
> Can you avoid that problem by manually selecting Rogers?

I believe you can.. i.e. the dropped calls only happen when you set your
phone to automatically select a network, as opposed to manually confining
it to one particular network.

But, lots of Rogers people (in downtown Toronto at least) naturally will
want to use Fido's towers, since they are less congested and are better
quality (different frequency/spectrum?) from what I understand... I guess
this dropped-call thing will be the real challenge in the networks
combining.
November 10, 2004 7:35:46 AM

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
: davidg@alcor.concordia.ca (David Gaudine) wrote in
: news:cmr6ab$fd1$1@newsflash.concordia.ca:
:
: :
: I believe you can.. i.e. the dropped calls only happen when you set
your
: phone to automatically select a network, as opposed to manually
confining
: it to one particular network.

You probably dont want to do that (manually configure the phone). I
did that and I found overall, the reception is not very good, staticy.
We are on both Fido and Rogers and it's not good.

I guess if it comes down to know reception vs shitty reception, it's
better than nothing. But, don't bother forcing your phone to change
networks.
November 10, 2004 6:58:19 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 04:35:46 GMT, "Pavel" <outand@about.co> wrote:

>I guess if it comes down to know reception vs shitty reception, it's
>better than nothing. But, don't bother forcing your phone to change
>networks.

What's know reception?