Are The Towers Really Switched????

Surely all the tech stuff has not been done and will take a long time???

But with the "three months rogers roaming" it seems like they have been
switched/adjusted to allow for interoperability between GSM providers? I'd
be shocked if it happened this quickly/easily...

Can someone with a FIDO phone let us know if you can jump on to the Rogers
network as of today, Nov 9???
7 answers Last reply
More about towers switched

    Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in

    > Can someone with a FIDO phone let us know if you can jump on to the
    > Rogers network as of today, Nov 9???

    Ha, yep it's officially switched. I can jump from Rogers <--> Fido.

    Now, if only they can solve the dropped calls while switching networks mid-
    conversation!

    Good Man wrote:
    > But with the "three months rogers roaming" it seems like they have been
    > switched/adjusted to allow for interoperability between GSM providers? I'd
    > be shocked if it happened this quickly/easily...

    When a fido phone wants to talk to a rogers tower, there are 2 things that happen:

    Rogers decides if it wants to talk to a fido phone,. in the past it was a big
    "NO", and once it says yes, it then sends a request to Fido for authorisation
    for that phone number to roam onto Rogers.

    These systems have been in place for a long time since this is the mechanism
    used to allow americans/europeans to roam onto rogers, fido and vice versa etc.

    So, allowing the roaming is really a matter of Rogers adding Microcell's
    network ID in its roaming tables, and then getting Microcell to update
    customer profiles to allow roaming onto Rogers' network. (From a management
    point of view, there would be inter subsidiary billing issues).

    Cosnider that Rogers already had some roaming agreements with AT&T in the past
    where for some packages, roaming on AT&T was considered to be "local" with no
    roaming charges. So Rogers already has the billing sofwtware to handle its
    customers roaming for free onto Fido.

    "Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    Xns959C7750B12sonicyouth@216.196.97.132...
    > Surely all the tech stuff has not been done and will take a long time???
    >
    > But with the "three months rogers roaming" it seems like they have been
    > switched/adjusted to allow for interoperability between GSM providers?
    I'd
    > be shocked if it happened this quickly/easily...
    >
    > Can someone with a FIDO phone let us know if you can jump on to the Rogers
    > network as of today, Nov 9???

    I can..and it works.

    Sony Ericsson T237 dual band.

    In article <Xns959C79AB5B55Csonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
    Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

    >Ha, yep it's officially switched. I can jump from Rogers <--> Fido.
    >
    >Now, if only they can solve the dropped calls while switching networks mid-
    >conversation!

    Can you avoid that problem by manually selecting Rogers?
    David Gaudine, Systems Analyst, School of Graduate Studies
    Concordia University, Montreal davidg@alcor.concordia.ca

    davidg@alcor.concordia.ca (David Gaudine) wrote in

    > In article <Xns959C79AB5B55Csonicyouth@216.196.97.132>,
    > Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Ha, yep it's officially switched. I can jump from Rogers <--> Fido.
    >>
    >>Now, if only they can solve the dropped calls while switching networks
    >>mid- conversation!
    >
    > Can you avoid that problem by manually selecting Rogers?

    I believe you can.. i.e. the dropped calls only happen when you set your
    phone to automatically select a network, as opposed to manually confining
    it to one particular network.

    But, lots of Rogers people (in downtown Toronto at least) naturally will
    want to use Fido's towers, since they are less congested and are better
    quality (different frequency/spectrum?) from what I understand... I guess
    this dropped-call thing will be the real challenge in the networks
    combining.

    "Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
    : davidg@alcor.concordia.ca (David Gaudine) wrote in
    : news:cmr6ab$fd1$1@newsflash.concordia.ca:
    :
    : :
    : I believe you can.. i.e. the dropped calls only happen when you set
    your
    : phone to automatically select a network, as opposed to manually
    confining
    : it to one particular network.

    You probably dont want to do that (manually configure the phone). I
    did that and I found overall, the reception is not very good, staticy.
    We are on both Fido and Rogers and it's not good.

    I guess if it comes down to know reception vs shitty reception, it's
    better than nothing. But, don't bother forcing your phone to change
    networks.

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 04:35:46 GMT, "Pavel" <outand@about.co> wrote:

    >I guess if it comes down to know reception vs shitty reception, it's
    >better than nothing. But, don't bother forcing your phone to change
    >networks.

    What's know reception?

Fido Rogers Internet Service Providers