Error loading cmicnfg.cpl - The specified module could not..

I don't know why, but everytime I log on to Windows I get a RUNDLL titled
dialog that says the above error message. Anyone know how to make it go away?
Thanks.

*.cpl files are applets in the Control Panel.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A822F8C-9284-4388-A63C-B366A7C62140@microsoft.com...
>I don't know why, but everytime I log on to Windows I get a RUNDLL titled
> dialog that says the above error message. Anyone know how to make it go away?
> Thanks.

So, what can I do to make it go away?

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> *.cpl files are applets in the Control Panel.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A822F8C-9284-4388-A63C-B366A7C62140@microsoft.com...
> >I don't know why, but everytime I log on to Windows I get a RUNDLL titled
> > dialog that says the above error message. Anyone know how to make it go away?
> > Thanks.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Have a look here..maybe something will help..

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1903.html

http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
| > ..
| > "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > >I don't know why, but everytime I log on to Windows I get a
RUNDLL titled
| > > dialog that says the above error message. Anyone know how to
make it go away?
| > > Thanks.

It did. Thanks.

"Ricky" wrote:

> Have a look here..maybe something will help..
>
> http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1903.html
>
> "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | So, what can I do to make it go away?
> |

> | "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> |
> | > *.cpl files are applets in the Control Panel.
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > Mark L. Ferguson
> | > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> | > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> | > marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> | > ..
> | > "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> RUNDLL titled
> make it go away?

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

You're welcome..glad it helped. :)

| It did. Thanks.
|

| "Ricky" wrote:
|
| > Have a look here..maybe something will help..
| >
| > http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1903.html
| >
| > "S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | So, what can I do to make it go away?
| > |
| > |
| > | "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
| > |

| > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
| > RUNDLL titled
| > make it go away?

I had this issue and thought I'd see if anyone had a quick fix. When I
found a lot of people having this issue with no solution, I used my
knowledge of XP and the registry and made my own.

I posted this here in case someone else has this issue and stumbles
upon this and wants information in a concise format rather than having
to read a whole forum thread like that link pointed to in the other
post, and also wants to know how to get rid of this altogether rather
than just the superficial fix that other forum had, so here goes:

*Background*: This error occurs after trying to uninstall the updated
C-Media AC'97 onboard sound driver that appears after upgrading to XP
SP2 and/or going to WindowsUpdate. Likely the driver didn't work, so
you tried uninstalling the driver and were going to put back the old
Realtek AC'97 driver, but couldn't get rid of the updated driver.

*To fix:* Go ahead and do the deletion of cmaudio from the registry
that the other post had (Start, Run, type in "regedit", no quotes),
from

Click on the top computer icon in the Registry Editor to highlight it
(so that it will do a complete search of the registry and not just from
your present point forward), do a Find (Ctrl+F) and find and delete all
_KEYS_ related to *-cmaudio*- and *-C-Media*-, not just the string
entries, _except_ for that entry in the Run key I mentioned above, just
delete the cmaudio -string- for that one.

Download this remove utility from

http://ekiis.com/Freesoft/binary/remove11.zip

and run the file you find in the zip file - it can be ran without
extracting it from the zip.

-- *NOTE:* This utility is for taking the name out of the Add/Remove
Programs section -_only_-, and does not remove it from your computer,
but it is very useful for issues like this when we are MANUALLY
uninstalling a program to take it out of the Programs list and should
work in 98/ME/2000/XP.

Delete these files from the C:\Windows\System32 directory (or "System"
directory for Win98)

cmirmdrv.exe
cmirmdrv.dll
cmuda.dll

Delete everything you can readily delete in C:\Temp,
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch (XP only), C:\WINDOWS\Temp, and C:\Documents and
Settings\%YourName%\Local Settings\Temp (2000 and XP only), so that
there will not be any files left for it to try to recover the driver
from. You will likely have to leave things that start with hsperfdata_
and Perflib_Perfdata_***.dat files if you find them, but should be able
to delete most others without changing attributes.

Now open the Device Manager (Right-click "My Computer", hit "Manage",
then find Device Manager in the Computer Management console).
Right-click the C-Media WDM driver under Sound, video, and game
controllers, hit Uninstall. Then right-click the top computer icon
listed there with your hostname beside it, hit "Scan for hardware
changes". It should install a generic "Multimedia Audio Controller"
instead of the "C-Media WDM Audio Driver", though you might see that
C-Media Audio for just an instant before it reverts back to a generic
driver (if it stays, you'll have to go back through the registry again,
delete the system files again, and do a full search of your hard drive
for those files so they don't get re-copied again). From here you can
'download your specific Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver'
(http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/891.htm) or use your
motherboard's installation CD to re-install and you should have sound
again.

Good luck.

--
navyjax2
navyjax2's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1221

I had this issue and thought I'd see if anyone had a quick fix. When I
found a lot of people having this issue with no solution, I used my
knowledge of XP and the registry and made my own.

I posted this here to answer the forum question, and in case someone
else has this issue and stumbles upon this and wants information in a
concise format rather than having to read a whole forum thread like
that link pointed to in the other post, and who also wants to know how
to get rid of this altogether rather than just the superficial fix that
other forum had, so here goes:

*Background*: This error occurs after trying to uninstall the updated
C-Media AC'97 onboard sound driver that appears after upgrading to XP
SP2 and/or going to WindowsUpdate. Likely the driver didn't work, so
you tried uninstalling the driver and were going to put back the old
Realtek AC'97 driver, but couldn't get rid of the updated driver.

*To fix:* Go ahead and do the deletion of -cmaudio- from the registry
that the other post had (Start, Run, type in "regedit", no quotes), and
delete the -cmaudio- string from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. This
makes it so it will not run on startup and try to find the cpl file that
was deleted during the uninstall or not installed correctly by the
installer in the first place, whichever your case depending on when you
started seeing the error. To get your sound working again if it isn't,
read on -

Click on the top computer icon in the Registry Editor to highlight it
(so that it will do a complete search of the registry and not just from
your present point forward), do a Find (Ctrl+F) and find and delete all
_KEYS_ related to *-cmaudio*- and *-C-Media*-, not just the string
entries, but the KEYS, _except_ for that entry in the Run key I
mentioned above, just delete the cmaudio -string- for that one.

Delete the string "CMCPlus" from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control
Panel\Cpls to get rid of the Control Panel icon, and delete the file it
points to that resides in C:\Windows\System32.

Download this remove utility from

'http://ekiis.com/Freesoft/binary/remove11.zip'
(http://ekiis.com/Freesoft/binary/remove11.zip)

and run the file you find in the zip file - it can be ran without
extracting it from the zip. Take out the C-Media Audio Driver line.

(http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/891.htm) setup.exe file or

navyjax2's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13682
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819077663

[...]

Forgot to mention: Must delete cmuda.dll from
C:\Windows\System32\drivers as well. And that was supposed to be Cmcpls
in the other post for the "Cpls" section, not CMCPlus - wrote that kinda
hurridly, but hopefully you all could figure it out.

Side note --- I have found that on a computer with muliple users with
this issue that, when they log in, the C-Media driver kicks in again,
and this fix won't work on their side of the fence, though your side
that you started all this on and fixed will work fine. You would have
to try to find out where the cab file or whatever it downloaded into/as
and delete that for this to work, as it's obviously still pulling that
C-Media driver from SOMEWHERE - I haven't found it yet, as I thought it
would have been in one of those Temp locations - always good to delete
those out from time to time, anyway. I don't know if I'll waste my time
with it or if I will find it, since it's just me and my wife and it's
just her side that's messed up now, and she has her own computer and
doesn't log into mine very often [image:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/dani-images/smilies/fiyellow/icon_cool.gif]
Have some other things SP2 messed up that I think I'm gonna just fix
with a re-install rather than taking the weeks to find one cab file
that has what I'm looking for, but thought I'd pass on the warning to
not expect a complete recovery for other users on the computer, unless
someone else has a better answer... Best of luck.

--
navyjax2
navyjax2's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13682
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819077663

Obviously check to see if cmicnfg.cpl is in C:\Windows\System32 and
C:\Windows\LastGood, and delete it if it is. I deleted everything in
C:\Windows\System32\ReinstallBackups, but to no avail. Sound is still
good on my side, though :) .

--
navyjax2
navyjax2's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=13682
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819077663

FIXED - for both users! But you guys aren't gonna like it 'cause I
think I got real lucky.

OK, made sure all files were deleted and registry entries gone, right?
Do the Device Manager "Scan for hardware changes", but I had
C:\WINDOWS\System32 open at the same time. Saw it putting in those
@#$% C-Media files again - cmuda.dll, cmirmdrv.exe, cmirmdrv.dll.
Deleted them as soon as they appeared at the bottom of the window (was
refreshing the window the entire time - right-click, refresh). C-Media
could not finish installing. Left me with what I needed, the generic
"Multimedia Audio Driver" with an exclamation point that I wanted.
Immediately ran setup.exe for Realtek AC'97, rebooted, and works great.