Blue screen on HP AMD laptop with antivirus: camc6hal.sys

Whenever I install either Norton AntiVirus or McAfee's VirusScan on a new HP
laptop with an AMD processor, I get a Blue Screen 0x000000D1 which means a
bad driver. The driver is camc6hal.sys and I can't find it when Googling or
in Microsoft's knowledge base.

The "HAL" part of the driver name bothers me because I believe that stands
for the Hardware Abstraction Layer and who knows what Norton or McAfee are
doing.

The hardware abstraction layer is hal.dll. When was the last time you did
perform a virus check, Use on of the on-line scanners if you can't install
any antivirus on your computer! Use Google to search "on-line virus scan"

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"A. Sim" <ASim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I install either Norton AntiVirus or McAfee's VirusScan on a new
> HP
> laptop with an AMD processor, I get a Blue Screen 0x000000D1 which means a
> bad driver. The driver is camc6hal.sys and I can't find it when Googling
> or
> in Microsoft's knowledge base.
>
> The "HAL" part of the driver name bothers me because I believe that stands
> for the Hardware Abstraction Layer and who knows what Norton or McAfee are
> doing.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to write, for your comment certainly forces me to
sharpen my writing. What I meant to say was that since the letters "HAL" were
embedded in the driver name, that perhaps that driver was related to the
hardware in one degree or another.

As far as the virus scanning, I actually did a virus scan with both Norton
and with McAfee (no viruses were found). The BSOD occurs after the Norton and
after the McAfee applications are installed and then the PC is rebooted. (As
long as you don't reboot, it's not a problem; although with a laptop one may
have to reboot more often than not.)

So, if anyone reading this post has any knowledge about the mystery driver
(camc6hal.sys) I would appreciate hearing. Googling and the Microsoft
Knowledge base show nothing.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> The hardware abstraction layer is hal.dll. When was the last time you did
> perform a virus check, Use on of the on-line scanners if you can't install
> any antivirus on your computer! Use Google to search "on-line virus scan"
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "A. Sim" <ASim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I install either Norton AntiVirus or McAfee's VirusScan on a new
> > HP
> > laptop with an AMD processor, I get a Blue Screen 0x000000D1 which means a
> > bad driver. The driver is camc6hal.sys and I can't find it when Googling
> > or
> > in Microsoft's knowledge base.
> >
> > The "HAL" part of the driver name bothers me because I believe that stands
> > for the Hardware Abstraction Layer and who knows what Norton or McAfee are
> > doing.

I will say that the driver turns up nothing during a Google search. This
means it is so new that no one has questioned it as of yet.

New virus's/trojans/spyware come out about 50 per week. And they like to use
file names that "sound" official to try to avoid manual detection. It this
file was not installed by one of your programs I would certainly bet on
scumware having installed it!

--

In message <CE8DB477-5933-4725-ABC5-23815186F233@microsoft.com>, A. Sim
<ASim@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>Hi Richard,
>
>Thanks for taking the time to write, for your comment certainly forces me to
>sharpen my writing. What I meant to say was that since the letters "HAL" were
>embedded in the driver name, that perhaps that driver was related to the
>hardware in one degree or another.
>
>As far as the virus scanning, I actually did a virus scan with both Norton
>and with McAfee (no viruses were found). The BSOD occurs after the Norton and
>after the McAfee applications are installed and then the PC is rebooted. (As
>long as you don't reboot, it's not a problem; although with a laptop one may
>have to reboot more often than not.)

I had something similar when I installed XPHome SP2 and then Panda
Internet Security. As soon as the system rebooted after the instal I got
a blue screen every reboot.
STOP:C000021a or C0000005 and several others. As soon as I removed Panda
it has been just fine. I'm now using Kaspersky AV.
There was no mention of any driver though.

--
gillie