Looks like the dog may be around a bit longer...Alain Rhéa..

Tags:
  • Fido
  • Wireless
  • Rogers
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
November 10, 2004 2:30:34 AM

Alain Rhéaume appointed Executive VP & President Fido
http://www.microcell.ca/EN/04/index.asp?id=04&sid=01&co...
TORONTO AND MONTREAL, Nov. 9 /CNW/ - Nadir Mohamed, President and CEO,
Rogers Wireless Inc. is pleased to announce the appointment of Alain Rhéaume
to the position of Executive Vice-President and President Fido, following
the
announcement of the successful tender offer results relating to the
acquisition of Microcell by Rogers Wireless. Previously, Mr. Rhéaume was
President and COO of Microcell Solutions Inc., the wholly-owned subsidiary
of
Microcell Telecommunications Inc., responsible for marketing the Company's
wireless communications services under the Fido brand name.
"We are delighted to welcome Alain to the Rogers Wireless team," said
Nadir Mohamed. We are committed to keeping and building on the Fido brand,
distribution network and service in Canada and know that Alain's history
with
Microcell and rich understanding of the Fido brand makes him the logical
choice to lead the operations of Fido at Rogers Wireless."
Alain Rhéaume joined Microcell in 1996 as Chief Financial Officer.
Prior
to that, he held several senior management positions in both the public and
the private sectors. For five years, he was Associate Deputy Minister in the
Quebec government, and from 1992 to 1996, was Deputy Minister of Finance.
Mr.
Rhéaume graduated from Université Laval with a degree in Business
Administration.

About Rogers Wireless:
Rogers Wireless operates Canada's largest integrated wireless voice and
data network, providing advanced voice and wireless data solutions to
customers from coast to coast on its GSM/GPRS/EDGE network, the world
standard
for wireless communications technology. The combination of Rogers Wireless
and
Microcell will have 5.5 million wireless customers, and has offices in
Canadian cities across the country. Rogers Wireless is a wholly-owned
subsidiary of Rogers Wireless Communications Inc. (TSX: RCM; NYSE: RCN),
which
is approximately 89% owned by Rogers Communications Inc.
Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX: RCI; NYSE: RG) is a diversified
Canadian communications and media company. It is engaged in cable
television,
high-speed Internet access and video retailing through Canada's largest
cable
television provider, Rogers Cable Inc.; in wireless voice and data
communications services through Canada's leading national GSM/GPRS cellular
provider, Rogers Wireless Communications Inc.; and in radio, television
broadcasting, televised shopping and publishing businesses through Rogers
Media Inc.

More about : dog bit longer alain rhea

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 10, 2004 2:30:35 AM

Malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
> "We are delighted to welcome Alain to the Rogers Wireless team," said
> Nadir Mohamed. We are committed to keeping and building on the Fido brand,
> distribution network and service in Canada

In the case of HP killing Compaq, it took 12 months from initial contacts
between Carly and Curly and actual signing of the deal on may 7th 2002, or 9
months between public merger announcement and official signing on May 7th.
This long time delay allowed integration planners to come up with a fairly
precise plan.

Rogers started to talk to Microcell this summer. From public announcement to
consumation, it was what, two or 3 months ? There hasn't been enough time for
Rogers to plan the integration properly. So it is absolutely normal that for
now, they have no choice but to continue to operate both companies separately.

But you can bet that Rogers doesn't plan to keep Microcell as a separate
operation any longer than necessary.

However, merging two wintel box makers is fairly easy compared to merging
wireless networks. Management issues may be similar, but the issue of merging
the two physical networks is not a simple task which may be measured in years
and not months. (for instance, rationalizing antennas in each location).

One thing which may happen fairly quickly is Microcell donating spectrum from
its network to Rogers in areas where Rogers is congested.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 10, 2004 5:32:49 AM

> > "We are delighted to welcome Alain to the Rogers Wireless
team," said
> > Nadir Mohamed. We are committed to keeping and building on the Fido
brand,
> > distribution network and service in Canada
>
> Rogers started to talk to Microcell this summer. From public announcement
> consumation, it was what, two or 3 months ?

Buzzz.. wrong.. Rogers and Microcell have talked about this scenario for
over 2 years..
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 10, 2004 5:32:50 AM

malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
> Buzzz.. wrong.. Rogers and Microcell have talked about this scenario for
> over 2 years..

Not at a level where Microcell opens its books and sets up integration teams
to start to make the full inventory of what each company brings to the table
and what can or cannot be eliminated/combined.

CEOs can meet informally to discuss this, but these informal discussions
cannot lead to due diligence until the official offer has been made.
!