Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bill Gates' New Company to Take on Hurricanes?

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
July 16, 2009 4:58:30 PM

Wow , If he can do that , then I will have respect for him , a LOT more respect. Not the tiny "video game" respect I have right now.
Score
July 16, 2009 5:02:01 PM

In other news: College dropout hatches plan to slow tornados with pinwheels. (Only a little kidding, but honestly, there's absolutely no way to we can move enough cold water to make ANY difference)
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 16, 2009 5:05:18 PM

KyleSTLIn other news: College dropout hatches plan to slow tornados with pinwheels. (Only a little kidding, but honestly, there's absolutely no way to we can move enough cold water to make ANY difference)

I'm not sure about the sciences of this stuff, but if all of us were as pessimistic as you were, there certainly is no way, ya cynical old fart.
Score
July 16, 2009 5:06:31 PM

Is it me, or does Bill look a little evil in that picture?
Score
July 16, 2009 5:06:37 PM

he gives alot to charity too and his charity organization does alot for fighting world hunger and diseases.

I live in florida, so this is good news for me
Score
July 16, 2009 5:15:02 PM

mlcloudI'm not sure about the sciences of this stuff, but if all of us were as pessimistic as you were, there certainly is no way, ya cynical old fart.

I'm 26 and a chemical engineer. I took thermodynamics and I'm highly sceptically there is any way we can make a difference, and even if there is the energy consumption to do so would be astronomical (i.e. making shuttle launches look like child's play in comparison)
Score
July 16, 2009 5:33:54 PM

Ok, here's my ridiculous idea: Drop a big ice cube into the hurricane from one of those hurricane hunter planes that fly into them. Just grab a chunk from the poles.

Better get my patent sent in before Steve Jobs or Mr. Gates tries to beat me to it.
Score
July 16, 2009 5:39:17 PM

I think the biggest issue here is this... "the patents will offer 18 years of legal rights to the idea to Gates and his co-inventors". If he is trying to do something good for humankind why would he want to have a patent of it?.
Score
July 16, 2009 5:43:29 PM

Well, great and all but let's think for a second. It's Bill Gates. The proper question to ask right now is; "Well, how much is it gonna cost?"
Score
July 16, 2009 5:59:07 PM

Its hard to see in the pic, but that kinda looks like a BSOD.
Score
July 16, 2009 6:05:51 PM

Different application, but he's still just breaking wind.
Score
July 16, 2009 6:06:38 PM

KyleSTLI'm 26 and a chemical engineer. I took thermodynamics and I'm highly sceptically there is any way we can make a difference, and even if there is the energy consumption to do so would be astronomical (i.e. making shuttle launches look like child's play in comparison)

Agree. As far I know the single hurricane caries more energy then energy produced my humans in one year. Bill should finished his education and not to skip physics classes and recognize when someone is a attempting to spend his money.
Plus there is other issue here. Everything in nature is linked and balanced. If you create imbalance the nature will counter act and restore the balance. So if Bill some how stops a hurricane hitting Florida for example will cause more strong one in Mexican Ocean for example.
Score
July 16, 2009 6:07:34 PM

DarkMantleI think the biggest issue here is this... "the patents will offer 18 years of legal rights to the idea to Gates and his co-inventors". If he is trying to do something good for humankind why would he want to have a patent of it?.

So someone else doesn't patent it and try to sell it? Patent's aren't bad, its what people do with them that are.
Score
Anonymous
July 16, 2009 6:09:03 PM

nah, I'll wait until Bill and crew release Wind Down XP. The 1st revision could be unstable and a BSoD actually kills someone.
Score
July 16, 2009 6:09:56 PM

I'm not an expert but I do know that hurricanes are the result of an immense energy differential and that the release of that pent up energy is a necessary aspect of the Earth's natural cycle. Throughout the early to mid 20th century humanity attempted to dominate the Earth, and we are just now starting to realize how foolish that idea truly is. However, changing the dynamics of a hurricane will make all of those failures pale in comparison. I am appalled that most of the comments are in support of this outrageous idea. Here is a better suggestion: stop building inadequate structures that obviously lie in harm's way.
Score
July 16, 2009 6:22:01 PM

lifelesspoetIts hard to see in the pic, but that kinda looks like a BSOD.

Judging by the age of the computer, I would say it is safe to assume that the picture was taken pre-BSOD. It's probably an old version of Microsoft Works.
Score
July 16, 2009 6:25:46 PM

Quote:
So someone else doesn't patent it and try to sell it? Patent's aren't bad, its what people do with them that are.

Thats the whole point, you never know. So today is a patent to stop hurricanes and tomorrow a patent for making hurricanes, i think there are things that shouldn't be patentable, specially if its something that will help save many people lifes. I'm not an expert on this area but as far as i know you can't get a patent of something that already exist even if the invention that already exist doesn't have a patent. So if someone else try to patent the idea the patent office will just say no.
Score
July 16, 2009 7:19:23 PM

rrfI'm not an expert but I do know that hurricanes are the result of an immense energy differential and that the release of that pent up energy is a necessary aspect of the Earth's natural cycle. Throughout the early to mid 20th century humanity attempted to dominate the Earth, and we are just now starting to realize how foolish that idea truly is. However, changing the dynamics of a hurricane will make all of those failures pale in comparison. I am appalled that most of the comments are in support of this outrageous idea. Here is a better suggestion: stop building inadequate structures that obviously lie in harm's way.

Agreed. about 40 or 50 years ago the Chinese government declared that humans will win over earth (sky/god in direct translation) and acted on it. The direct result from that is a famine that killed millions.
Score
July 16, 2009 7:20:16 PM

that said, Bill is a rich man and we should never discourage him from trying.
Score
July 16, 2009 7:21:49 PM

SAL-ePlus there is other issue here. Everything in nature is linked and balanced. If you create imbalance the nature will counter act and restore the balance. So if Bill some how stops a hurricane hitting Florida for example will cause more strong one in Mexican Ocean for example.

On this you are 100% correct. I think it's possible to lower the surface temperature 1 degree which could theoretically lower a hurricane to a tropical storm. It's not neccessary to combat the force of a hurricane, but the underlining roots.

BUT, and we're talking ghetto booty butts here, pumping cold water up to the surface means the temperature below could get warmer as a result. This could damage coral reefs, sea life or could alter the global current.
We've already learned in National Parks to let a forest burn if it's natural and doesn't threaten people. It's part of nature, and trying to control it leads to worse things down the road. Same logic applys here.
Same rule here.
Score
July 16, 2009 8:38:36 PM

Oh god, I'm waiting till SP1 before i go near that thing.

But seriously, how will tampering with systems we know little about help us get out of the situation we caused by tampering with systems we know little about?
Score
July 16, 2009 9:48:26 PM

As much damage as hurricanes cause, I'm thinking that tampering with the natural course of weather could be a really bad idea. Like you stop a hurricane off the coast of Florida, and a year later massive tidal waves wipe japan off the map- or something.
Score
July 16, 2009 9:59:30 PM

WayoffbaseAs much damage as hurricanes cause, I'm thinking that tampering with the natural course of weather could be a really bad idea. Like you stop a hurricane off the coast of Florida, and a year later massive tidal waves wipe japan off the map- or something.

Blue wave of death?
Score
July 16, 2009 11:30:49 PM

tipooBlue wave of death?

good one, I didn't think of that :) 
Score
July 17, 2009 1:29:14 AM

Somehow reading this and then thinking about Murphy's law REALLY REALLY scares me......especially when you count the fact that Bill Gates is in on it....
Score
July 17, 2009 2:09:56 AM

bill gates looks like toby mcguire in spiderman 3. By the way if he wants to make me happy he should have a fight to the death with Steve Jobs (p.s go for the liver!!!!!)
Score
July 17, 2009 4:11:47 AM

tacoslavebill gates looks like toby mcguire in spiderman 3. By the way if he wants to make me happy he should have a fight to the death with Steve Jobs (p.s go for the liver!!!!!)

This is what it would look like. -----> {url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U]Gats v Jobs[/url]
Score
July 17, 2009 7:40:09 AM

"Wow , If he can do that , then I will have respect for him , a LOT more respect. Not the tiny "video game" respect I have right now."
Score
July 17, 2009 7:47:02 AM

gin FushichoWow , If he can do that , then I will have respect for him , a LOT more respect. Not the tiny "video game" respect I have right now.

So his long running campaign and work to combat Malaria in third world countries, and the outstanding work of his 'gates foundation' to tackle world health and education problems holds no weight with you? Your a hard person to please.

Honestly Gates may not have as cool an image as some people, but if you judge him by his actions he stands above a lot of other 'rich 'n' famous' people.
Score
July 17, 2009 9:32:05 AM

this is so unlikely since a hurricane is a moving target.
Score
July 17, 2009 9:53:46 AM

if he can slow it down, he can also make it go fast
Score
July 17, 2009 10:11:16 AM

gin FushichoThis is what it would look like. -----> Gats v Jobs

Score
July 17, 2009 11:28:26 AM

by throwing out a 5.25" floppy disk he thought a hurricane would have the same principle in terms of physics. I guess.....
Score
Anonymous
July 17, 2009 12:16:49 PM

I think a lot of you are missing some of the points. First up the amount of energy required would be large but take a look at the speed that oil is pumped off oil riggs and you will see that there are systems out there that can move that volume of water. Second they wouldn't be trying to change the water temperature at the surface they would be spraying the water in a mist into the are from a series of barges to cool the air in the same way that fire-fighters try to cool down a fire. This method can't stop a hurricane but it could break it causing it to slow down and weaken quite a bit, at very least enough to save a lot of lives and property. As for cost, with the money saved on insurance costs in protected areas should more than cover it.

Still after what he's done in the past I do have some trouble seeing gates as a 'nice' guy, but he has done a lot of good recently.
Score
July 17, 2009 2:53:46 PM

I'm a thermodynamoelectroscientologist and I say it's totally possible. I don't have any arguments to add value to my comment, but you have to believe me since I say that I'm a thermodynamoelectroscientologist.

Seriously, do you really think they would make these claims if the possibilities wouldn't have been thoroughly studied? If they make such an announcement, it's that it might be "theoricaly" possible. Practive might prove otherwise, but they believe it's an avenue to investigate and I think it's a great idea.
Score
July 18, 2009 9:44:55 PM

This is like defusing a bomb pull the wrong wire and your screwed;makes things worse but if he pulls it off what a great tool we have
Score
July 19, 2009 12:37:58 PM

gzhangthat said, Bill is a rich man and we should never discourage him from trying.

That's more like it.

Drag0nR1derSo his long running campaign and work to combat Malaria in third world countries, and the outstanding work of his 'gates foundation' to tackle world health and education problems holds no weight with you? Your a hard person to please.Honestly Gates may not have as cool an image as some people, but if you judge him by his actions he stands above a lot of other 'rich 'n' famous' people.

I respect the man for many reasons.
I have 3 idols in life. Gates certainly deserves on my list.
Bill Gates. (Because of all he has attempted to do in contribution to the world.)
Adolf Hitler. (Most may dissagree with me, but I see the man as one of the worlds best motivators, and he assisted in getting much done for humanity. Medical science, technology, communication for the masses etc. Though the fact of how many deaths that can be attributed to him always have to be factored in. I'm not some neo-Nazi, I'm a man trying to see the pureity that came from the chaos.)
Albert Einstein. (Contribution to physics and mathematics, benefitting the entire world to an unknown degree. A man who saw the world as no other can, and used it to humanities benefit).
Score
July 20, 2009 4:16:43 AM

anamaniac said:
Adolf Hitler. (Most may dissagree with me, but I see the man as one of the worlds best motivators, and he assisted in getting much done for humanity. Medical science, technology, communication for the masses etc. Though the fact of how many deaths that can be attributed to him always have to be factored in. I'm not some neo-Nazi, I'm a man trying to see the pureity that came from the chaos.)

Just the thought of this makes me feel quite ill.
Score
!