TECH: Best way to uncover painted over painted artwork

Last response: in Video Games
July 1, 2005 10:08:31 PM

I recently bought a Defender cabinet that had the original artwork
painted over.
*On a side note, I bought it from Mark at MTW Enterprises who
was very
great to work with. (www.silverballsolutions.com)
Anyways, I bought a Defender Cabinet. The original artwork has been
painted over. Because the original artwork was painted on, I don't know
what to use to remove paint. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:15:53 PM

I used Goof Off (bought at Home Depot) to remove the black paint on a
ms pacman. worked very well. If your cab is painted over with latex
paint, you should be fine.
The trick with this goof off is that it removes latex paint and not oil
based paint.
Be careful. you can soak down the cabinet with goof off at first, but
once you get most of the paint off, let it dry! then, for the finishing
touches, repeat using less goof off.
I smeared a portion of my ms pacman artwork by soaking and scrubbing
the original artwork too much.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:21:44 AM

Alright, thanks you guys. I think I'll be trying this tomorrow and I
really hope that this works. I'm kind of afraid that the oops or goof
off will remove the original defender paint from the stencils. I hope
not. I'll let you know how it goes once I'm done.

guinness wrote:
> I bought a painted Defender cab from Anth that had latex black paint over
> the artwork. I poured a 1/2 can of Oops on each side (while it was sitting
> on its side), then let it curl (the latex paint) then removed the paint with
> a rag. Came out great. No brush needed.
>
> tim (NH)
>

> <Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I recently bought a Defender cabinet that had the original artwork
> > painted over.
> > *On a side note, I bought it from Mark at MTW Enterprises who
> > was very
> > great to work with. (www.silverballsolutions.com)
> > Anyways, I bought a Defender Cabinet. The original artwork has been
> > painted over. Because the original artwork was painted on, I don't know
> > what to use to remove paint. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:06:03 AM

defender and paint.. something i'm intimately familiar with.

get yourself some goof off... a plastic scraper and a nylon brush.

spray (or pour) the goof off onto the cabinet (lay it on it's side)..
agitate it a little with the brush.. let it sit for a few minutes.. spray it
again...
start scraping...

don't worry about using too much goof off... it'll just make things easier.

here's photos of me doing mine.
came out VERY excellent.
haven't taken photos of the final cleaned up result (after wiping the whole
thing down with goof off on a rag)
if the art was good when they painted it over you're going to be really
pleased with a couple of hours work.

took 3 cans of spray goof off (with about half a can left over)

http://www.arcadepics.com/4images/categories.php?cat_id...

keith

<Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently bought a Defender cabinet that had the original artwork
> painted over.
> *On a side note, I bought it from Mark at MTW Enterprises who
> was very
> great to work with. (www.silverballsolutions.com)
> Anyways, I bought a Defender Cabinet. The original artwork has been
> painted over. Because the original artwork was painted on, I don't know
> what to use to remove paint. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

July 2, 2005 3:05:31 AM

I bought a painted Defender cab from Anth that had latex black paint over
the artwork. I poured a 1/2 can of Oops on each side (while it was sitting
on its side), then let it curl (the latex paint) then removed the paint with
a rag. Came out great. No brush needed.

tim (NH)

<Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a Defender cabinet that had the original artwork
> painted over.
> *On a side note, I bought it from Mark at MTW Enterprises who
> was very
> great to work with. (www.silverballsolutions.com)
> Anyways, I bought a Defender Cabinet. The original artwork has been
> painted over. Because the original artwork was painted on, I don't know
> what to use to remove paint. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:31:45 AM

You might want to check through the Google archive a bit on this. My
thought was that Goof Off or the like would be too strong - but I see
some have used it sucessfully. I have heard recommendations for 3M
"Safest Stripper" a bit over the years here and I have used it a
couple of times with pretty good results...though I think you could
get heavy handed with anything.
I suspect that it really depends on what kind of paint is on the
cabinet as to how your results will be...
The first time I did this, I applied the stripper to the whole side of
the cabinet at once (laying on it's side) - I then decided the next
time that that was too much area to do all at once.
Good luck!
Mike

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:06:03 -0400, "Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com>
wrote:

>defender and paint.. something i'm intimately familiar with.
>
>get yourself some goof off... a plastic scraper and a nylon brush.
>
>spray (or pour) the goof off onto the cabinet (lay it on it's side)..
>agitate it a little with the brush.. let it sit for a few minutes.. spray it
>again...
>start scraping...
>
>don't worry about using too much goof off... it'll just make things easier.
>
>here's photos of me doing mine.
>came out VERY excellent.
>haven't taken photos of the final cleaned up result (after wiping the whole
>thing down with goof off on a rag)
>if the art was good when they painted it over you're going to be really
>pleased with a couple of hours work.
>
>took 3 cans of spray goof off (with about half a can left over)
>
>http://www.arcadepics.com/4images/categories.php?cat_id...
>

>keith
>

><Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I recently bought a Defender cabinet that had the original artwork
>> painted over.
>> *On a side note, I bought it from Mark at MTW Enterprises who
>> was very
>> great to work with. (www.silverballsolutions.com)
>> Anyways, I bought a Defender Cabinet. The original artwork has been
>> painted over. Because the original artwork was painted on, I don't know
>> what to use to remove paint. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:37:05 AM

unless someone repainted the defender art in latex it's not coming off.
i used regular paint remover AND thinner when i started (because i'm an
idiot) and my front art barely came off. the black came off the cabinet
itesel fbefore the art came off.

k.

> Alright, thanks you guys. I think I'll be trying this tomorrow and I
> really hope that this works. I'm kind of afraid that the oops or goof
> off will remove the original defender paint from the stencils. I hope
> not. I'll let you know how it goes once I'm done.
>
> guinness wrote:
> > I bought a painted Defender cab from Anth that had latex black paint
over
> > the artwork. I poured a 1/2 can of Oops on each side (while it was
sitting
> > on its side), then let it curl (the latex paint) then removed the paint
with
> > a rag. Came out great. No brush needed.
> >
> > tim (NH)
> >

> > <Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I recently bought a Defender cabinet that had the original artwork
> > > painted over.
> > > *On a side note, I bought it from Mark at MTW Enterprises who
> > > was very
> > > great to work with. (www.silverballsolutions.com)
> > > Anyways, I bought a Defender Cabinet. The original artwork has been
> > > painted over. Because the original artwork was painted on, I don't
know
> > > what to use to remove paint. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:29:44 PM

Well I started doing my cabinet and I used an entire 12 oz. spray can
of goof off on about 30% of one side. My putty knives are dull. Not
going so well. I'll more later.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:07:09 PM

Keith in NJ wrote:
> yeah.. don't want to use a sharp knife.. and give the goof off time to work.
> sometimes the brush agitation helps.. then letting it sit and respraying it.
> it took just about a full can for each side on mine.
>
> keith.
>

> <Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well I started doing my cabinet and I used an entire 12 oz. spray can
> > of goof off on about 30% of one side. My putty knives are dull. Not
> > going so well. I'll more later.

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:10:13 PM

My post didn't show up. I wrote,
Keith,

How much did you spray on at a time? How long did you let it sit for? I
tried it today with not so good results. Thank you all for the help and
advice. I'll post a link to some pictures later.

Go10...@gmail.com wrote:
> Keith in NJ wrote:
> > yeah.. don't want to use a sharp knife.. and give the goof off time to work.
> > sometimes the brush agitation helps.. then letting it sit and respraying it.
> > it took just about a full can for each side on mine.
> >
> > keith.
> >

> > <Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Well I started doing my cabinet and I used an entire 12 oz. spray can
> > > of goof off on about 30% of one side. My putty knives are dull. Not
> > > going so well. I'll more later.

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:37:08 PM

yeah.. don't want to use a sharp knife.. and give the goof off time to work.
sometimes the brush agitation helps.. then letting it sit and respraying it.
it took just about a full can for each side on mine.

keith.

<Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Well I started doing my cabinet and I used an entire 12 oz. spray can
> of goof off on about 30% of one side. My putty knives are dull. Not
> going so well. I'll more later.

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:21:46 AM

it was first time i'd done it so i was trial and erroring it.
i sprayed down enough to wet the top half of the cabinet.. let it sit about
a minute then did a circular motion with the brush.
waited about 2-5 minutes and tried scraping it.. where it was still sticking
to the cab i sprayed a little as needed.
for the most part it bubbled right up.

maybe you have an enamel spray paint on there. my galaxian cabinet was spray
painted and goof off barely scratched the surface. i ended up heat gunning
the whole thing and pulled the vinyl laminate off that.

keith.

> My post didn't show up. I wrote,
> Keith,
>
> How much did you spray on at a time? How long did you let it sit for? I
> tried it today with not so good results. Thank you all for the help and
> advice. I'll post a link to some pictures later.
>
> Go10...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Keith in NJ wrote:
> > > yeah.. don't want to use a sharp knife.. and give the goof off time to
work.
> > > sometimes the brush agitation helps.. then letting it sit and
respraying it.
> > > it took just about a full can for each side on mine.
> > >
> > > keith.
> > >

> > > <Go10nks@gmail.com> wrote in message

July 3, 2005 12:37:09 PM

I just started doing this to a painted Stargate bastardiza... er,
conversion. :)

I'm using "goof off 2" which comes in a windex style spray bottle. I
got it at Home Despot and it cost about $7.00.

I sprayed the top half of the cab first as a test, and waited 5 minutes
or so, then scrubbed it with a nylon bristle brush. It took the outer
layer of paint off, but didn't get down to the original artwork.

I then sprayed the whole side of the cab and waited 10 minutes or so. I
used a plastic putty knife on the unscrubbed parts and it peeled one
layer off. I then used the brush on the "second layer" and it got down
to the artwork okay.

After revealing most of the artwork I sprayed in a few spots and
scrubbed the stubborn black paint, but did some minor damage to the
side art as well.

I then used a 2 sided sponge, with foam on one side, and a scotch brite
style scrubber side. I used the scrubber side on the stubborn paint
parts and it seemed to come up okay. The key with using that is to not
scrub too hard. The artwork is coming along fine, but will definetaly
need to be repainted/touched up eventually.

Be sure to wash off any Goof Off residue with soap and water when
you're done working for the day, or you could end up damaging the
artwork.

Pics of the in progress cabinet can be seen here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,39043.0...

Rook
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:36:17 PM

Excellent timing for this thread.. I just picked up a Food Fight with
apparently intact artwork under black latex. This will be my first
"recovery" and I was curious as to how to do it!
!