i killed my Radeon 9700 Pro help me please!!

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
I would love to scream but it doesnt quite carry the same impact when posted on a forum.

My radeon 9700 pro had SERIOUS overheating problems, so i got a new graphics card fan and ram heatsinks from vantec - all nice and lovely, but i prised off the aluminiun plate that covers the ram chips and... yes.. i managed to prise off two of my ram chips as well (Insert vulgar rantings here). So.. what i need is to know WHAT those stupid little chips are so i can order some from somewhere and solder them on! I cannot find a circuit diagram anywhere, and ATI wont reply for a whole weekend which leaves me without a pc for a WHOLE WEEKEEEEND (and more)!!! sigh. Can anyone tell me the names of the ram chips, the ones that are superglued (sigh) to the aluminium plate. There are four of them in total, i ripped off two. And before you ask, the chips are in a state of no repair - the pins are still on the board [grin].

Thank you lots!

(Please give generously to the Poor Temporarily Computerless Sods' Foundation)

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Thats amazing you have no computer but you managed to post at Toms forum WOW are you a jedi who can use the force to suf the web without a computer for the weekend.
ROFL

Your card cannont be repaired its finished, you will not be able to get the ram chips from anywhere ati will probaberly not help you, there are many different types of 9700 caqrds made by different manufacturers so telling you what ram you have could be impossible, you will have to look ontop of the ram chip to find out.

my advice GET a NEW card.

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Bummer. [Excessive vular rantings]
Well thanks for replying :)
I dont believe i killed my gfx card whilst trying to improve it. sigh. irony is an arse

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
If I understanhd you correctly you prised off the plate in the front left hand corner of the card? Just to let you know that doesnt cover the ram chips but is in fact epoxied to some of the voltage regulator chips, which would explain why some of them came off with it. However, since they were probably ripped in half when you pulled it off, I highly doubt you would have the soldering skills to put them back on. Even if you could I dont think you would be able to buy those chips in small quantities.

truckless

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
...ok i SERIOUSLY wish you hadnt told me that. ****. That just makes it... SOOOOO much worse. :( I was actually going by somebody elses watercooling experience and they had prised off the plate. I was wondering why the chips were so damn small. So where are the ram chips then?