New motherboard and processor

In case it's of help to others....

I recently posted asking for for guidance on XP Pro issues when
replacing the motherboard and processor in my machine. Several people
helped, and I duly followed their advice with backups, file system
transfer etc. I was also warned I would have to do an in place upgrade
when I rebooted.

The reality was much smoother. I rebuilt the pc, sorted out the bios
and then rebooted. Everything worked straight away, despite my having
different chipsets on the MB. Windows detected everything, picked the
drivers off my MB installation disk and away I went.

A minor hassle was having to reassign network addresses before I could
get back on the internet - but here I am.

Just thought I'd post this to give heart to others in the same
palm-sweating situation...

Pete
3 answers Last reply
More about motherboard processor

    basically, you got lucky. If the original HAL works of w/ the new
    motherboard then you'll have a good experience like you did.

    But, I'll bet you've got a lot of ghosts in devmanager. in dm, enable
    "show hidden devices" (you may need this environment variable too:
    DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESET_DEVICES = 1). look for "dim" devices, these are the
    leftovers. they really aren't doing anything bad tho, they're just
    leftovers.

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:44:45 -0000, frodo@theshire.org wrote:

    >basically, you got lucky. If the original HAL works of w/ the new
    >motherboard then you'll have a good experience like you did.
    >
    >But, I'll bet you've got a lot of ghosts in devmanager. in dm, enable
    >"show hidden devices" (you may need this environment variable too:
    >DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESET_DEVICES = 1). look for "dim" devices, these are the
    >leftovers. they really aren't doing anything bad tho, they're just
    >leftovers.

    Bang on - there are a few. Mostly under a "non plug and play drivers"
    heading. Can they be removed for neatness?

    Pete <peteroe@removethiswritebros.org> wrote:

    >>But, I'll bet you've got a lot of ghosts in devmanager. in dm, enable
    >>"show hidden devices" (you may need this environment variable too:
    >>DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESET_DEVICES = 1). look for "dim" devices, these are the
    >>leftovers. they really aren't doing anything bad tho, they're just
    >>leftovers.

    > Bang on - there are a few. Mostly under a "non plug and play drivers"
    > heading. Can they be removed for neatness?

    I would leave those alone, that catagory is pretty large and tough
    to acertain whether you still need them or not.

    Other devices that you can be sure you obviously no longer have you can
    delete safely.

Processors Motherboards Windows XP