FIDO/Rogers MPD

testy

Apparently they are suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder.

I was in downtown Toronto where I expected to be on the Fido network instead
I was switched to Rogers,

Then I was out in the 'boonies' north of Brampton where I expected to be on
the Rogers network instead I was on FIDO.

Lastly I was at home sitting in the same chair, yesterday I was on Rogers,
today I am on FIDO.
Not that I care, as long as my calls go through and I am not charged any
extra. Just find it very curious how the switching is decided.

Testy

"Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in

> Apparently they are suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder.
>
> I was in downtown Toronto where I expected to be on the Fido network
> instead I was switched to Rogers,
>
> Then I was out in the 'boonies' north of Brampton where I expected to
> be on the Rogers network instead I was on FIDO.
>
> Lastly I was at home sitting in the same chair, yesterday I was on
> Rogers, today I am on FIDO.
> Not that I care, as long as my calls go through and I am not charged
> any extra. Just find it very curious how the switching is decided.

You can avoid all the switching by just manually selecting the network you
want to use on your phone.

I think switching is done based on whichever signal is strongest.....

lurker

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001

Free until end of February 2005, Fido subscribers can roam on Rogers
Wireless network and Rogers Wireless subscribers can roam on Fido's. It will
be $5/month extra for Fido subscribers if they want to continue roaming on
RW. Otherwise, it'll be switched off. RW subscribers will always be free to
roam on Fido network.

So, right now, whoever has the strongest signal at where you are registers
you handset.

"Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
> Apparently they are suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder.
>
> I was in downtown Toronto where I expected to be on the Fido network
> instead I was switched to Rogers,
>
> Then I was out in the 'boonies' north of Brampton where I expected to be
> on the Rogers network instead I was on FIDO.
>
> Lastly I was at home sitting in the same chair, yesterday I was on Rogers,
> today I am on FIDO.
> Not that I care, as long as my calls go through and I am not charged any
> extra. Just find it very curious how the switching is decided.
>
> Testy

testy

Doesn't explain why the network changes when I am in exactly the same
position.

\Testy
\
"lurker" <lurker@this.ng> wrote in message
> Free until end of February 2005, Fido subscribers can roam on Rogers
> Wireless network and Rogers Wireless subscribers can roam on Fido's. It
> will be $5/month extra for Fido subscribers if they want to continue
> roaming on RW. Otherwise, it'll be switched off. RW subscribers will
> always be free to roam on Fido network.
>
> So, right now, whoever has the strongest signal at where you are registers
> you handset.
>

> "Testy" <fraudbuster@canoemail.com> wrote in message
>> Apparently they are suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder.
>>
>> I was in downtown Toronto where I expected to be on the Fido network
>> instead I was switched to Rogers,
>>
>> Then I was out in the 'boonies' north of Brampton where I expected to be
>> on the Rogers network instead I was on FIDO.
>>
>> Lastly I was at home sitting in the same chair, yesterday I was on
>> Rogers, today I am on FIDO.
>> Not that I care, as long as my calls go through and I am not charged any
>> extra. Just find it very curious how the switching is decided.
>>
>> Testy

It is a system based on radio signals. One day Roger's may be stronger due
to atmosperic conditions, one day Fido might be stronger because of a
different scenario. I would assume that both signals are almost equal in
strength at that given location.

BTW there is more than the weather that affects radio waves, so it could be
any number of factors thatdetermine which will be stronger, my answer is
just one possible solution.

G M

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:12:14 -0500, Testy wrote:

> Doesn't explain why the network changes when I am in exactly the same
> position.

With radio signals something like a car passing in front of your house can
cause one signal to be stronger then the other. It's the nature of radio.
TTYL

testy

Well, no switching has taken place since the day after the take over. I
figure it was just the NEW DOG peeing on the tree to establish his
territory.

Testy

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:12:14 -0500, Testy wrote:
>
>> Doesn't explain why the network changes when I am in exactly the same
>> position.
>
> With radio signals something like a car passing in front of your house can
> cause one signal to be stronger then the other. It's the nature of radio.
> TTYL

Umm, that's the point. In the past you didn't have access to Fido's
network, so for all intents and purposes Fido's network didn't exist. Now
you do, so all of a sudden you have more signals available to you,
switching is an obvious side effect of this.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:59:38 -0500, Testy wrote:

> Well, no switching has taken place since the day after the take over. I
> figure it was just the NEW DOG peeing on the tree to establish his
> territory.
>
> Testy
>
> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:12:14 -0500, Testy wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't explain why the network changes when I am in exactly the same
>>> position.
>>
>> With radio signals something like a car passing in front of your house
>> can cause one signal to be stronger then the other. It's the nature of
>> radio. TTYL

From what I read before: the GSM transmitter can force your phone to switch
if the tranmistter is getting congested. So, not only signal level controls
it, but also how many users are registered on a certain transmitter.

Also, some users may never see switching because their phones don't support
the necessary frequencies for both Rogers & Fido...

repatch wrote:

> Umm, that's the point. In the past you didn't have access to Fido's
> network, so for all intents and purposes Fido's network didn't exist. Now
> you do, so all of a sudden you have more signals available to you,
> switching is an obvious side effect of this.
>
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:59:38 -0500, Testy wrote:
>
> > Well, no switching has taken place since the day after the take over. I
> > figure it was just the NEW DOG peeing on the tree to establish his
> > territory.
> >
> > Testy
> >
> > "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> With radio signals something like a car passing in front of your house
> >> can cause one signal to be stronger then the other. It's the nature of
> >> radio. TTYL

An observation: I live in Ottawa and manually switched my phone to
the Rogers network once I heard I could roam on it for free. One:
whereas I can just dial the 7 digit number for a local call while on
the Fido network, you have to dial the 10 digit number while roaming
on Rogers, as if you were really roaming (ie from out of town).
Second: During busy periods (Saturday, Sunday night), I get 'Network
Busy' when trying to roam on the Rogers network all night. When I
switch back to the Fido network, I can make the calls (but do
occasionally get a 'Network Busy' there as well). I have no idea how
roaming works, but is it possible for them to set up the network to
give preference to some users (ie their subscribers) over others
(roamers, Fido customers)?