Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with .avi files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 3:08:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP, WinAmp,
DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered from a
serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

More about : problem avi files

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:20:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You need Divx 5.21 or later.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:99ABD21C-7946-4D40-97B3-AC85E80EDE7F@microsoft.com...
> Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP,
> WinAmp,
> DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
> crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered
> from a
> serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 6:20:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I tried the new version of divx and nothing changed. I also uninstalled and
reinstalled divx. Plus i got the new version of WMP, but no changes. Any
other ideas?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> You need Divx 5.21 or later.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
> "55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:99ABD21C-7946-4D40-97B3-AC85E80EDE7F@microsoft.com...
> > Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP,
> > WinAmp,
> > DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
> > crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered
> > from a
> > serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:36:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"55will87" wrote:
> I tried the new version of divx and nothing changed. I also
> uninstalled and
> reinstalled divx. Plus i got the new version of WMP, but no
> changes. Any
> other ideas?
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
> > You need Divx 5.21 or later.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
> >
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!
> >
> >
> > "55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:99ABD21C-7946-4D40-97B3-AC85E80EDE7F@microsoft.com...
>  > > Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video
> player player (WMP,
>  > > WinAmp,
>  > > DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a
> blue screen before it
>  > > crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying
> windows has recovered
>  > > from a
>  > > serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated.
> >
> >
> >

I’ve also had a similar error, although instead of popping a full
system crash it’s always popped a "windows media player has
encountered a critical error and will now close" message.


I’d suggest going into your system logs and seeing if you can get more
specific information about the crash.


Windows XP:
"Start >> Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >>
Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer"

you should be able to find the specific error code there for it, and
then try looking it up via this website:

http://www.eventid.net/


any more information you can give would help us out as well.


~Ash

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Problem-avi...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1707013
!