Problem with .avi files

Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP, WinAmp,
DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered from a
serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You need Divx 5.21 or later.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP,
> WinAmp,
> DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
> crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered
> from a
> serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I tried the new version of divx and nothing changed. I also uninstalled and
reinstalled divx. Plus i got the new version of WMP, but no changes. Any
other ideas?

"55will87" wrote:
> I tried the new version of divx and nothing changed. I also
> uninstalled and
> reinstalled divx. Plus i got the new version of WMP, but no
> changes. Any
> other ideas?
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
> > You need Divx 5.21 or later.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!
> >

> > "55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>  > > Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video
> player player (WMP,
>  > > WinAmp,
>  > > DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a
> blue screen before it
>  > > crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying
> windows has recovered
>  > > from a
>  > > serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated.

I’ve also had a similar error, although instead of popping a full
system crash it’s always popped a "windows media player has
encountered a critical error and will now close" message.

I’d suggest going into your system logs and seeing if you can get more
specific information about the crash.

Windows XP:
"Start >> Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >>
Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer"

you should be able to find the specific error code there for it, and
then try looking it up via this website:

http://www.eventid.net/

any more information you can give would help us out as well.

~Ash

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Problem-avi-files-ftopict541724.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1707013