Problem with .avi files

Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP, WinAmp,
DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered from a
serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about problem files

    You need Divx 5.21 or later.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video player player (WMP,
    > WinAmp,
    > DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a blue screen before it
    > crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying windows has recovered
    > from a
    > serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

    I tried the new version of divx and nothing changed. I also uninstalled and
    reinstalled divx. Plus i got the new version of WMP, but no changes. Any
    other ideas?

    "55will87" wrote:
    > I tried the new version of divx and nothing changed. I also
    > uninstalled and
    > reinstalled divx. Plus i got the new version of WMP, but no
    > changes. Any
    > other ideas?
    >
    > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    >
    > > You need Divx 5.21 or later.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
    > knew!
    > >

    > > "55will87" <55will87@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >  > > Whenever I try to play a .avi file with any video
    > player player (WMP,
    >  > > WinAmp,
    >  > > DivX) my computer crashes. I get no messages or a
    > blue screen before it
    >  > > crashes. When it reboots i get a message saying
    > windows has recovered
    >  > > from a
    >  > > serious error. Any thoughts would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    I’ve also had a similar error, although instead of popping a full
    system crash it’s always popped a "windows media player has
    encountered a critical error and will now close" message.

    I’d suggest going into your system logs and seeing if you can get more
    specific information about the crash.

    Windows XP:
    "Start >> Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >>
    Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer"

    you should be able to find the specific error code there for it, and
    then try looking it up via this website:

    http://www.eventid.net/

    any more information you can give would help us out as well.

    ~Ash

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Problem-avi-files-ftopict541724.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1707013

AVI Microsoft Windows XP