Randeon 9600: is it good?

menards

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
I'm talking about the plain 9600, not PRO, not XT, not SE.

The sapphire radeon 9600 atlantis to be exact.

(agp 8x)

I was hoping to see a review of it on the sticky but there were only comments on the pro/xt/se.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9600 is an underclocked 9600 Pro. It's a reasonbly good card and performs in proportion to it's underclock.

I believe it's clocked at 300/200 (DDR400) instead of 400/300 (DDR600), so it should be giving close to 70% of the performance of the 9600 Pro.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, Pro means it's the standard clock, non-pros are underclocked :smile:

The chip was designed to go around 400MHz, they tested it, sure enough it ran fine at 400MHz. Even though they really didn't need a fan, they put one there just to be safe.

Then they sold the same CPU underclocked and probably undervoltage, as the non-pro. The underclock is the safety factor so they don't use a fan.

128MB Pros come with 3.0ns or faster RAM, non-pros come with 4ns or slower RAM. Usually 5ns, which can't be effectively clocked beyond 200MHz (DDR400).

Funny thing is, the 256MB Pros also come with the cheap RAM, but that's so they can get the price down.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
want one ?

I got a 9600XT for sale

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have one in my machine. It's a good card to run today's games at mostly medium settings.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA