Windows won't execute any program.

Hello, My problem is that Windows XP SP2 started to ask me with which
application it has to open programs, like when it doesn't have an
application assigned to a document type. I have used the System Restore but
the problem still persists, I thought it could be Zone Alarm or Ad Aware,
because once Ad Aware alerted me that the information in the registry about
the extentions was modified and if i wanted to eliminate it, but I didn't so
everything was fine and Zone Alarm stopped the Windows Explorer program from
accessing Internet. Both programs were working fine.I thnk it may be a
virus, but With two antivirus I haven't found anything.

I hope you could help me. Tanks.

map

Luis Martínez wrote:
> Hello, My problem is that Windows XP SP2 started to ask me with which
> application it has to open programs, like when it doesn't have an
> application assigned to a document type. I have used the System
> Restore but the problem still persists, I thought it could be Zone
> Alarm or Ad Aware, because once Ad Aware alerted me that the
> information in the registry about the extentions was modified and if
> i wanted to eliminate it, but I didn't so everything was fine and
> Zone Alarm stopped the Windows Explorer program from accessing
> Internet. Both programs were working fine.I thnk it may be a virus,
> but With two antivirus I haven't found anything.
>

> I hope you could help me. Tanks.

When you assign an application to it are you prompted again for the same
one?
Here is a link to restore default file associations.
http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
--
Mike Pawlak

It sounds totally like zone alarm to me. I used the pro trial for 15 days,
then went to the free one. Whenever you first install zone alarm, you should
always give permission to let the apps be available to access the internet.
Windows explorer does a need to interact with the internet. If you deny
everything, beacuse you don't understand or are afraid of a virus, try a paid
firewall e.g. mcafee. Sp2' s firewall is ok for inbound traffic, but not on
the outbound. Unless you have a virus, and you'll know that quick, the
outbound traffic is from your initializing it.
--
oralcumfix