not able to boot after Windows update

test

I did a windows xp update and was ask to restart the cpu... I restarted the
cpu successfully. Then
later I rebooted again and the system took a long time at the windows logo
screen and then the error "autochk program not found... skipping" was given.
After this message the cpu
reboots. I tried booting in safe mode and using lask know good config, but
no matter
which one I choose, I end up in the same place... "autochk program not
found... skipping" and then reboot. I tried xp cd repair and it
stalls at 3%. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix? I am
willing to reinstall clean XP but would like to save about 10 files before I
do so? Any suggestions?

Take a look here
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-7746-autochkexe-not-found.html

"Test" wrote:
> I did a windows xp update and was ask to restart the cpu... I
> restarted the
> cpu successfully. Then
> later I rebooted again and the system took a long time at the
> windows logo
> screen and then the error "autochk program not found...
> skipping" was given.
> After this message the cpu
> reboots. I tried booting in safe mode and using lask know good
> config, but
> no matter
> which one I choose, I end up in the same place... "autochk
> program not
> found... skipping" and then reboot. I tried xp cd repair and
> it
> stalls at 3%. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do
> to fix? I am
> willing to reinstall clean XP but would like to save about 10
> files before I
> do so? Any suggestions?

Hi Test, couple of suggestions to try:

boot to a windows XP disk, and go to the recovery console.

from there you will get to a command prompt, try:

fixboot

or

fixmbr

these lines will re-write your HD’s boot sector and master boot
record, erasing the current (and possibly damaged) versions.

you can also try:
chkdsk /r

(will automatically do a check/repair of your HDD)

~Ash

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-boot-Windows-update-ftopict541749.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1706894