Save picture as...

When I right click on a picture or animation (of any type of file) and I go
to: save picture as... , the only option I have is to save it as a bmp.
file. So, as an example I can not save a gif. file (for the animation). I can
on my wife's laptop but not on this computer. How can I change that?
3 answers Last reply
More about save picture

    It's time to perform some routine computer maintenance:

    Go to Start > Run and type: CLEANMGR.EXE , and hit enter.
    This will start your disk cleanup utility. Make sure to cleanup
    your Temporary Internet Files.

    Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978&Product=ie600

    Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650&Product=ie600

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "haynesx7" wrote:

    | When I right click on a picture or animation (of any type of file) and I go
    | to: save picture as... , the only option I have is to save it as a bmp.
    | file. So, as an example I can not save a gif. file (for the animation). I can
    | on my wife's laptop but not on this computer. How can I change that?

    This problem occurs if the Temporary Internet Files are full.

    1. Start Internet Explorer
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the General tab.
    4. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
    5. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.

    Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650

    Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

    Clear the Temporary Internet Files using the Windows XP Disk Cleanup
    utility:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/clearxptif.htm

    FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original format
    in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx

    Why IE will only let you save as BMP:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx

    More on why ie will only let you save as bmp:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx

    The option "Empty Temporary Internet Files folders when browser is closed"
    does not work ?:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/deltifonexit.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "haynesx7" wrote:
    > When I right click on a picture or animation (of any type of
    > file) and I go
    > to: save picture as... , the only option I have is to save it
    > as a bmp.
    > file. So, as an example I can not save a gif. file (for the
    > animation). I can
    > on my wife's laptop but not on this computer. How can I change
    > that?

    it’s a bit of a workaround, but you might try saving them in bmp
    format, then open them w/ paint and save it as a .gif (or whatever
    extension you’re aiming for)

    *note* you WILL tend to lose slight picture quality with this method,
    but it might be a viable workaround for you till something else comes
    up.

    ~Ash

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Save-picture-ftopict541751.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1707012