Print Spooler Lockups

June 2, 2005 4:40:03 PM

Anyone have any ideas on why print spoolers would be locking up randomly. At
times users can be trying to print and it locks up, but at other times they
may just be using Outlook, Word or Excel and not trying to print. Only way to
clear is to stop the spooler and restart it. A reboot does not fix the
problem. This fix may correct for awhile or it may come back again within a
day or so. Problem seems to stay around for a week or so, then disappears for
a month or so, then comes back. Also doesn't happen to everyone. Thought at
first it might have something to do with print drivers for OCE
copier/printers, but haven't come to any conclusions on that. People that it
doesn't effect have those printers setup on their PCs also, but they aren't
having the problem. All are using XP Pro with SP2.
One thing that shows up in their event logs at the time is the print server
pushing out updates to drivers about the time it happens. Changes to drivers
on the print server or rarely made, so it's not like it needs to update the
drivers to the PCs. Print servers are 2003. Thanks!

More about : print spooler lockups

June 3, 2005 9:02:04 AM

Additional info: Doesn't have to be a networked printer for it to lock up.
Has happened to users when printing to a local printer. Of course these users
still have network printers setup on their PCs. All printers are HP except
for the few OCE copier/printers. Have searched for spyware and viruses, but
came up empty. One user's printers were deleted one month and added back, but
user had the problem again the next month.

"Randy" wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas on why print spoolers would be locking up randomly. At
> times users can be trying to print and it locks up, but at other times they
> may just be using Outlook, Word or Excel and not trying to print. Only way to
> clear is to stop the spooler and restart it. A reboot does not fix the
> problem. This fix may correct for awhile or it may come back again within a
> day or so. Problem seems to stay around for a week or so, then disappears for
> a month or so, then comes back. Also doesn't happen to everyone. Thought at
> first it might have something to do with print drivers for OCE
> copier/printers, but haven't come to any conclusions on that. People that it
> doesn't effect have those printers setup on their PCs also, but they aren't
> having the problem. All are using XP Pro with SP2.
> One thing that shows up in their event logs at the time is the print server
> pushing out updates to drivers about the time it happens. Changes to drivers
> on the print server or rarely made, so it's not like it needs to update the
> drivers to the PCs. Print servers are 2003. Thanks!
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:21:02 PM

I have an inexpensive Lexmark on my home PC and a week or so ago, while
trying to print from the web, an error message consistently came up saying
that my print spooler is not working. Any ideas as to how to fix that?
Much appreciated.
--
Willard

"Randy" wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas on why print spoolers would be locking up randomly. At
> times users can be trying to print and it locks up, but at other times they
> may just be using Outlook, Word or Excel and not trying to print. Only way to
> clear is to stop the spooler and restart it. A reboot does not fix the
> problem. This fix may correct for awhile or it may come back again within a
> day or so. Problem seems to stay around for a week or so, then disappears for
> a month or so, then comes back. Also doesn't happen to everyone. Thought at
> first it might have something to do with print drivers for OCE
> copier/printers, but haven't come to any conclusions on that. People that it
> doesn't effect have those printers setup on their PCs also, but they aren't
> having the problem. All are using XP Pro with SP2.
> One thing that shows up in their event logs at the time is the print server
> pushing out updates to drivers about the time it happens. Changes to drivers
> on the print server or rarely made, so it's not like it needs to update the
> drivers to the PCs. Print servers are 2003. Thanks!
December 2, 2008 11:46:31 AM

Randy i have the same problem - Im a systems admin for a big company and this is driving me crazy. It all started after i added lexmark printers and i think i might try removing the lexmarks and see if it disappears.

Please someone post a fix!
!