rotate to portriat mode?

Has this issue every been finally solved? I currently use the Pivot software from Portrait, which works but you lose hardware overlay (no TV and some games I suspect) and it taxes your CPU. But I can say for a fact that the software does work because I have had it for years now and have used it on several different video cards (ati, nvidia,...).
Both Nvidia and ATI have blurbs on their website that seem to tease us with this feature, but I can't get the download from nvidia to work (and they don't provide any email address for end users). So, if anybody out there actually has a video card that came with software from the manufacturer (nvidia or ati or whoever) that really works and lets you watch TV and play games with hardware overlay
and doesn't tax your CPU, please reply. If I find out anything from either nvidea or ATI, I'll make a follow-on post. I suspect this feature is of interest to a wide audience, now that these large LCD's with the pivot feature are getting affordable (eg. VP201b for $730 at newegg). Littleberry
9 answers Last reply
More about rotate portriat mode
  1. Not sure about the hardware overlay issue, but the rotate feature is in the Geforce tabe in the nV drivers (look at the drop down list should be near the bottom) and for ATI it's in the Control Centre options. I get both option despite not having a pivoting LCD (yet).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
  2. Thanks, GreatApe, but do you mind replying again with some specifics? I have both ATI and nVidia (on two PC's), and I find neither of these options. For nVidia, I right click on desktop and get the display properties window, and I click advanced and the click adapter and I get the Nvidia Geforce2 dialog window, but no option for rotate - there is a long long list of "list all modes", but no rotate mode is present. I DID download from nvidia's website what they call ForceWare 6.7.3, and I ran it twice but it still didn't seem to set up anything for rotate - did you get your rotate option right out of the box? If so, what specific version of what specific video card do you have so I can look for the same thing - have you ever clicked on rotate just to see that it really does work, even with TV or some other app that uses hardware overlay?
    As for ATI, all I get is the "launchpad", which has options but no rotate, and the resolution modes that are offered do not include rotate (I am using the radeon 7500). Did you download new drivers or software from ATI, or did you get the "control center" right out of the box. If so, again,
    what specific card is it so I can look for the same thing.
    Regretably I am not getting any response from either nvidia nor ATI - it seems that rotate is something that is just not very well documented or talked about much. The thing is, if you are doing any text work (like programming or spead sheeting), having portrait mode with 1200 horizontal
    pixels is so much better that I can't figure out why it wouldn't be much more popular and better documented.
    Newegg is offering the Saphirre radeon 9600 pro for $110,
    and I am thinking that is a good deal, but, I can't find out
    anywhere whether or not it supports rotate natively - blast!
    Littleberry
  3. I'll post some screenies when I get home, here at work, all you'll see is the <A HREF="http://img71.exs.cx/img71/6245/intelxtreme7qm.jpg" target="_new">Intel Extreme <b>2</b></A>! :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
  4. Can you remind me which specific card(s) you have that offer the portrait mode for both nvidia and ati?
    Does either on work with win98se or only with win2k an xp?
    Thanks, Littleberry (can't get any help from nvidia or ati on this, it seems)
  5. YEah sorry didn't get a chance to take screenies, been a bit busy.

My cards are R9600Pro on XPpro, and GFFXGO 5200 on XPhome (for now).

I'll download the latest control panel and see what shows up (remember it was there when they first added it [after nV had it for a while]). I know it was on the FX as I checked it. I'm not sure about support for the older OS or even Win2K for that matter.

Strange that neither ATi nor nV will help, but I'll see what I can find tonight.

6. OK, been busy again but here we go, first step, ATI screenie with OLD drivers and Control Panel (old method):

<A HREF="http://img55.exs.cx/img55/6051/atirotate16wx.jpg" target="_new">http://img55.exs.cx/img55/6051/atirotate16wx.jpg</A>

Will post nV shortly and I'm in process of installing latest Catalysts to show you with Control Center if I can get it done while watching <i>LOST</i>, replying to other PMs and e-mails, and also of course watching pr0n :lol: ;

Ok now that my wrist's tired, here's the screenie of the nV system;

<A HREF="http://img155.exs.cx/img155/3197/nvrotate5bs.jpg" target="_new">http://img155.exs.cx/img155/3197/nvrotate5bs.jpg</A>

Still installing the stupid .Net Framework to let the Control Centre install, I'll get those pics up in a bit.

OK Done, here ya go, it's harder to find in Control Centre (why does that not surprise me?), here's where to find it;

<A HREF="http://img155.exs.cx/img155/4169/atirotate25vk.jpg" target="_new">http://img155.exs.cx/img155/4169/atirotate25vk.jpg</A>

Hope this helps. :cool:

Now back to the PMs (LOST is now over). :lol:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 01/19/05 09:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  7. Thankyou, GreatApe. I have *discovered* (maybe) that NVidia only supports Rotate on XP, so, I am more interested now in ATI. I see your card is the Radeon 9600 SE - is that ATI retail or is it OEM (such as Sapphire)? Is the old method what came with the CD in the box? Is there any indication (from the box) as to whether or not ATI's rotate will work on Win98SE and/or Win2k? It may be that ATI also only supports Rotate for WinXP. ????
    The final question is whether or not the Radeon 9600 will still support hardware overlay for Portrait mode (rotated 90 degrees). If you have a TV player, or, some games that utilize hardware overlay, then you could invoke rotate temporarily to see if you get a blank screen when you run an application that uses hardware overlay. The method recommended by Viewsonic is Portrait.com's PivotPro, but it does NOT support hardware overlay when rotated to portrait mode. I don't understand why ATI won't answer my email, or, better yet, post something on their website to completely clarify their supporting features as to rotate.
    Thanks again. Littleberry
  8. nVIDIA's nView works with win2k. You need to get the latest nWare package.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
    Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>
  9. Quote:
    I see your card is the Radeon 9600 SE -

No actually it's not an 'SE' it's an SE...., as in Radeon 9600SERIES card. It's actually a Built By ATI Radeon 9600PRO, full retail version (bought online). The header just doesn't show the full name, however if you look at the screen capture with the Control Center it has the full name in the description, also you can see it in that first picture in the display properties window.

The 'old method' really isn't THAT old, I think rotate was added to ATi's drivers around Catalyst 4.10, and the drivers that came with my card were 3.2 or 3.4 IIRC (I bought it first week from ATI's website, first to get it here [CasualCat ordered before me, but his got caught in customs]).

Quote:
    It may be that ATI also only supports Rotate for WinXP. ????

That may be, but what I really think it is is the driver version. What version are you using, yo may need to update to the <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winme/radeonwdm-me.html?type=98&prodType=graphic&prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=3&submit.y=6" target="_new">Win98SE/WinME BETA drivers</A> (M$ no longer supports W98SE so they will always be called 'beta') in order to get the latest features, not sure if rotate is included on that, remember it is a very recent addition for ATi. Be sure to select the right link based on the card you own, the first driver package is 4.11 and as stated on the right it's for the X### series cards. The second package of drivers is 4.10 and it's for the R7xxx-9xxx cards. Hopefully the 4.10 package has the rotate feature.

Quote:
    The final question is whether or not the Radeon 9600 will still support hardware overlay for Portrait mode (rotated 90 degrees).

Not sure, haven't investigated. If I have time tonight I'll give it a go (gonna have to re-configure stuff me thinks).

As for ATi's response, dunno, it is surprising they seemed pretty quick to tell me they don't ship to P.O. boxes in the states when I complained about the CDN prices on thei X800XLs, I didn't bother mentioning to them that not all P.O. boxes have P.O. box in the address. :evil: Anywhoo, sux they're being so slow. I'll do what I can, but I think they are likely still your best bet for a solid answer, what may work for me, might not work for some.... it takes different strokes to move the world yes it does, it take Different strokes to move the WORLD! Ooops sorry got sidetracked with an 80s flashback! :lol:

Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Software Nvidia Graphics