Desktop crash and reload

It seems that after a clean install I keep getting an explorer.exe crash. The
desktop will lose all icons including systray and then load back up, but,
without all the tray icons. Everything else on the desktop seems to return as
normal.
I thought that maybe the latest nvidia drivers were causing me problems, so
I uninstalled them and installed the drivers that came with the card. But,
that didn't solve it.
Then I tried checking the event viewer logs to see if I could find any
connection to the actual time of the occurrences. Nothing there.
I noticed that I kept getting a DEP error from Windows explorer. So I went
into the settings and set it to be turned on for all programs except Windows
Explorer. That didn't help either. So I disabled it entirely through the
boot.ini file.
That didn't help solve the problem so here I am asking for help.
Does anybody have any idea what is going on here and how I can stop it???
Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop crash reload

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "sims" <sims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CD9B9F1-8D33-4845-9F32-525A73B1384A@microsoft.com...
    > It seems that after a clean install I keep getting an explorer.exe crash. The
    > desktop will lose all icons including systray and then load back up, but,
    > without all the tray icons. Everything else on the desktop seems to return as
    > normal.
    > I thought that maybe the latest nvidia drivers were causing me problems, so
    > I uninstalled them and installed the drivers that came with the card. But,
    > that didn't solve it.
    > Then I tried checking the event viewer logs to see if I could find any
    > connection to the actual time of the occurrences. Nothing there.
    > I noticed that I kept getting a DEP error from Windows explorer. So I went
    > into the settings and set it to be turned on for all programs except Windows
    > Explorer. That didn't help either. So I disabled it entirely through the
    > boot.ini file.
    > That didn't help solve the problem so here I am asking for help.
    > Does anybody have any idea what is going on here and how I can stop it???
    > Thanks in advance.

    I think I might have found the culprit.
    After the clean install and subsequent reinstall of all the programs, I
    installed something that I didn't really need.
    InCD from Nero.
    Now, I've always been happy with the Nero suite, but, didn't really see the
    need for InCD, since Windows could perform the same basic things. So I'd
    never installed it before now.
    3 days ago I realized that and uninstalled it and haven't seen the desktop
    crash since.
    Now I don't know for sure that was what caused it, but, I'm keeping my
    fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the help.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    > 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "sims" <sims@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CD9B9F1-8D33-4845-9F32-525A73B1384A@microsoft.com...
    > > It seems that after a clean install I keep getting an explorer.exe crash. The
    > > desktop will lose all icons including systray and then load back up, but,
    > > without all the tray icons. Everything else on the desktop seems to return as
    > > normal.
    > > I thought that maybe the latest nvidia drivers were causing me problems, so
    > > I uninstalled them and installed the drivers that came with the card. But,
    > > that didn't solve it.
    > > Then I tried checking the event viewer logs to see if I could find any
    > > connection to the actual time of the occurrences. Nothing there.
    > > I noticed that I kept getting a DEP error from Windows explorer. So I went
    > > into the settings and set it to be turned on for all programs except Windows
    > > Explorer. That didn't help either. So I disabled it entirely through the
    > > boot.ini file.
    > > That didn't help solve the problem so here I am asking for help.
    > > Does anybody have any idea what is going on here and how I can stop it???
    > > Thanks in advance.

Desktops Crash Windows XP