Disappearing Shared Document Folder - Access Denied

I have Windows XP Home Edition

I dragged a folder (My Pictures) from a User account to the Shared Documents
folder so others could assess them. That worked fine... but I recently
noticed the Shared Documents folder in the My Computer folder is now named
Documents and I cannot access it. From Windows Explorer, the pop-up says

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible.
Access is denied.

I then logged in as Administrator and the same thing happened. I brought up
a CMD window, browsed to All c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ and had
the following results
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir Documents\*.*
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

File Not Found

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir /s Documents
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
File Not Found

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cacls Documents\* /g everyone:f
Are you sure (Y/N)?y
Access is denied.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>

ok - what is going on and how do I restore the Documents to a Shared
Documents folder!??

Don
3 answers Last reply
More about disappearing shared document folder access denied

    See:
    http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a0991f8dbafead9a?dmode=source&hl=en
    and
    http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0a9b94b61ee59eff?dmode=source&hl=en

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Don Simard" <donsimard@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Home Edition
    >
    > I dragged a folder (My Pictures) from a User account to the Shared
    > Documents folder so others could assess them. That worked fine... but I
    > recently noticed the Shared Documents folder in the My Computer folder is
    > now named Documents and I cannot access it. From Windows Explorer, the
    > pop-up says
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible.
    > Access is denied.
    >

    > I then logged in as Administrator and the same thing happened. I brought
    > up a CMD window, browsed to All c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ and
    > had the following results
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir Documents\*.*
    > Volume in drive C has no label.
    > Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
    >
    > Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    >
    > File Not Found
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir /s Documents
    > Volume in drive C has no label.
    > Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
    > File Not Found
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cacls Documents\* /g everyone:f
    > Are you sure (Y/N)?y
    > Access is denied.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>
    >
    > ok - what is going on and how do I restore the Documents to a Shared
    > Documents folder!??
    >

    > Don

    Thanx - I think that fixed it.

    > See:
    > http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a0991f8dbafead9a?dmode=source&hl=en
    > and
    > http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0a9b94b61ee59eff?dmode=source&hl=en
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Don Simard" <donsimard@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >>I have Windows XP Home Edition
    >>
    >> I dragged a folder (My Pictures) from a User account to the Shared
    >> Documents folder so others could assess them. That worked fine... but I
    >> recently noticed the Shared Documents folder in the My Computer folder is
    >> now named Documents and I cannot access it. From Windows Explorer, the
    >> pop-up says
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible.
    >> Access is denied.
    >>

    >> I then logged in as Administrator and the same thing happened. I brought
    >> up a CMD window, browsed to All c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ and
    >> had the following results
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir Documents\*.*
    >> Volume in drive C has no label.
    >> Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
    >>
    >> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    >>
    >> File Not Found
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir /s Documents
    >> Volume in drive C has no label.
    >> Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
    >> File Not Found
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cacls Documents\* /g everyone:f
    >> Are you sure (Y/N)?y
    >> Access is denied.
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>
    >>
    >> ok - what is going on and how do I restore the Documents to a Shared
    >> Documents folder!??
    >>

    >> Don

    You're welcome.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    > Thanx - I think that fixed it.

    >> See:
    >> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a0991f8dbafead9a?dmode=source&hl=en
    >> and
    >> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0a9b94b61ee59eff?dmode=source&hl=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Don Simard" <donsimard@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have Windows XP Home Edition
    >>>
    >>> I dragged a folder (My Pictures) from a User account to the Shared
    >>> Documents folder so others could assess them. That worked fine... but I
    >>> recently noticed the Shared Documents folder in the My Computer folder
    >>> is now named Documents and I cannot access it. From Windows Explorer,
    >>> the pop-up says
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible.
    >>> Access is denied.
    >>>

    >>> I then logged in as Administrator and the same thing happened. I brought
    >>> up a CMD window, browsed to All c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ and
    >>> had the following results
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir Documents\*.*
    >>> Volume in drive C has no label.
    >>> Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
    >>>
    >>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
    >>>
    >>> File Not Found
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>dir /s Documents
    >>> Volume in drive C has no label.
    >>> Volume Serial Number is B02A-BBE1
    >>> File Not Found
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>cacls Documents\* /g everyone:f
    >>> Are you sure (Y/N)?y
    >>> Access is denied.
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>
    >>>
    >>> ok - what is going on and how do I restore the Documents to a Shared
    >>> Documents folder!??
    >>>

    >>> Don

Windows XP